Sony announces Move sub-controller, demos it with SOCOM 4

Thursday, 11th March 2010 00:45 GMT By Nathan Grayson

socom4

During its GDC 2010 keynote, Sony demoed a separate sub-controller that compliments its recently named Move motion wand.

The publisher then rolled out a demo of SOCOM 4, which used Move to control the camera and the character while the sub-controller took care of the shooting.

Apparently, you can play through all of SOCOM 4 using that control scheme.

Check out our liveblog of the conference for more.

1. Erthazus

I liked all demos. All demos were great and they showed how shooters can work.

I love PC with mouse and keyboard because of precise, but now its coming to PS3. Precise is really good and its much better then Natal (I don’t think so that you can use it for FPS and RTS). If this can bring RTS and FPS to consoles then its a 100% Win. But…….

SOCOM 4 looks like garbage SERIOUSLY. G-A-R-B-A-G-E, yes, i said it.

2. OlderGamer

@1 Don’t get too excited.

It looks like a Wii to me, and in owning one I can tell you without a doubt NOTHING on it has persice control. No way your gonna want this thing for RTS games. You will be tracking circles around the darn unit your trying to point to. That and your arm will tire ten mins into your game.

PC is still king for RTS games.

I do think some of the FPS play very well on console. I enjoy the heck out of BFBC2 and Mag(xb360 and PS3 respectivly).

3. Psychotext

That and your arm will tire ten mins into your game.

I was thinking that watching the guy playing SOCOM. Your arm would just cramp up if you had to hold it that still for more than 10 mins or so.

4. No_PUDding

I expect it has an auto-centering thing, so you aren’t always holding it pointed.

But it still doesn’t make me want to play it at all. It has that ‘Capcom shooter’ feel about it.

5. Hunam

I thought in a few places he had some really poor aim, looked a bit floaty to be honest. Could be a problem.

6. Blerk

Are there videos of this stuff somewhere?

Edit: Ignore me, I hadn’t gotten to the top of the site. :-D