The APOCALYPS3 – everything so far

Monday, 1st March 2010 13:26 GMT By Johnny Cullen

defcon1

The world is coming to an end – at least, that’s what it feels like to “fat” PS3 owners right now, with the machines experiencing a worldwide bug blackout.

We have everything rounded up from the situation so far after the break.

• Beginning with the initial outbreak, the base story is here. PS3s are seeing errors that prevent them connecting to PSN, it was reported, with further user information pointing to some kind of clock error. 8001050F error codes, apparently, are indicative of the machine being locked off PSN and being susceptible to Trophy data corruption. Not mentioned in Nathan’s story this morning is that this appears to only be happening to fat PS3s. PS3 Slim models seem to be getting away with it, and are carrying on as normal, according to this SCEA tweet.
  • It appears that even if you’re PS3 isn’t plugged in or is just on standby, your console will be affected as long as it’s a pre-Slim model. Said Digital Foundry’s Richard Leadbetter: “Yup, confirmed on my NTSC 60GB Launch PS3 left on standby yesterday…”
  • As well as retail units, DF also confirmed that debug units for developers and journalists aren’t working either, stating even if you had it plugged out at the mains, you’re a goner as well: “PS3 bug also affects units that have been completely removed from the mains too… confirmed on my TEST unit too. Hits on boot, pre-login.” Ouch.
  • As for what SCEE, a statement sent to VG247 this morning, says: “We have found out that some users are experiencing a network connection failure when signing on to PlayStation Network.  We are currently looking into the issue to identify the cause of this network connection failure and will update further information as necessary (on the Blog /or official website/).  We appreciate for your understanding and continued support.”
  • The whole situation has even gone as far as even trending on the service. In the UK, the error code “8001050F” was one of the big talking points, while worldwide, “PS3″ is also there as well.
  • Develop’s also reporting that debug PS3s are being hit by the error.
  • DF’s reported you can’t go back to an older firmware to fix the problem: “Flashing to a higher firmware doesn’t fix the PS3 bug by the way on either retail or debug units
  • UK Community Manager for PlayStation, MusterBuster, has posted the first real statement we’ve had on the situation this afternoon from SCEE: “Our teams are currently working on a fix for this issue. We have no details of an ETA yet. We expect to have further news shortly.
  • MAJOR UPDATE FROM MB. Confirms the problems stem from the console’s clock functionalty The full update is below (thanks, Redh3lix): “Update: 16:58 As you may be aware, some customers have been unable to connect to the PlayStation Network today.  This problem affects the models other than the new slim PS3.We believe we have identified that this problem is being caused by a bug in the clock functionality incorporated in the system.Errors include:

* The date of the PS3 system may be re-set to Jan 1, 2000.
    * When the user tries to sign-in to the PlayStation Network, the following message appears on the screen; “An error has occurred.  You have been signed out of PlayStation Network (8001050F)”.
    * When the user tries to launch a game, the following error message appears on the screen and the trophy data may disappear; “Failed to install trophies.  Please exit your game.”
    * When the user tries to set the time and date of the system via the Internet, the following message appears on the screen; “The current date and time could not be obtained. (8001050F)”
    * Users are not able to playback certain rental video downloaded from the PlayStation Store before the expiration date.

We hope to resolve this problem within the next 24 hours.  In the meantime, if you have one of the above listed models, we advise that you do not use your PS3 system, as doing so may result in errors in some functionality, such as recording obtained trophies, and not being able to restore certain data.  As mentioned above the new slim PS3 is not affected with this error.  We are doing our best to resolve the issue and do apologise for any inconvenience caused.

• MAJOR ALERT: SCEE’S DEVNET IS WARNING EVERYONE NOT TO USE THEIR PS3s TONIGHT – ON FAT OR SLIM PS3s.
  • Finally, for now, if you haven’t seen it already, you really need to. This video shows the need to own noobs at Modern Warfare 2. Give this guy a view or two: he deserves it, just for the line “I’m so pissed off right now, I had to put some fucking pants on.” Legend. Watch the video below.

We’ll update this post throughout the day in case anything happens. If you have anything to add to this, add it below. Fingers crossed we’ll go back to Heavy Rain soon, innit.

1. Razor

That video.is.Awesome.

2. DoctorDrew666

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON HOW IS THIS HAPPENING TO ALL FAT PS3′S WORLDWIDE

3. Redh3lix

lol awesome vid!

Mines affected by this error code :( Still, not my problem if I need a new PS3, it’s Sonys.

4. Eregol

Seriously.
    How many times did he say that?

5. mington

i was playing on mine last night :) i’s got’s a new one innit

that guy in the video is the fat exploding zombie from L4D innit

6. Gekidami

Calling the internal clock ‘hardware’ is abit odd. Its not something a firmware update cant fix.

7. Eregol

If they don’t get a fix done today it’ll probably all disappear tomorrow because it’ll be a date that doesn’t confuse the internal clock.

Still shitty though.

8. Bulk Slash

I think Sony are really fucked on this one. It sounds like the system clock and the software that interfaces with it aren’t playing together nicely (one of them clearly thinks it’s a leap year when it isn’t). Given that it doesn’t affect (all/any?) slim consoles it’s probably the hardware clock.

Unless Sony have some sort of button combination people can hold down to reset the system clock or the battery can easily be reached they are going to have to recall well over half of all the consoles they’ve sold. Ouch.

Edit: Good point, Eregol, it might just go away once the date moves on.

9. OlderGamer

“Give me twinkies or give me death!”

Classic!

10. Patrick Garratt

I’ve added a Develop article confirming debugs are experiencing it too.

11. theevilaires

I just want to go on record and say this is all my fault :D don’t ask me why or how I did it I just did and I’m sorry. Now go play XBOX360 until I can fix this, you guys have a nice day.

12. Eregol

I also reckon the next firmware update might be delayed to make sure the issue is corrected and to make sure it never happens again.

13. mington

My xbox is in germany having its sore red ring looked at :?

14. The Hindle

Dam it Tea !!!! :) A simple firmware update will fix it people.

15. OrphanageExplosion

This is the stuff of legend. It’s like proper breaking news of a catastrophic event. Or, as the best PlayStation EU blog comment puts it: “This is 9/11 x 1,000″.

Never before has there been this much of a need for VG247.

16. OlderGamer

Obviously, I am hoping for a simple firmware update to fix the whole thing. But the more I read the less I think it can be fixed with firmware.

Leading me to this fear:

I don’t want to lose my hardwired/built in BC system. Replacing it with a slim isn’t going to make me happy. I payed over 600usd for my system, because it was BC. And I knew that feature was going away.

Plus, unlike xbox360 or even PS2, the memory is built in. So a system replacment means I lose all game saves. Anyone know if I can copy my PS3 game saves of PS2 games to a usb device or somehow transfer them to a PS2 card? I have put 300plus hours into Phantasy Star Universe: AotU. I don’t want to lose that time and effort.

Ok: deep breath. Relax.

Just gonna sit tight and wait and see what happens.

17. theevilaires

Eregol, you do know that the last update had secret code to eventually corrupt the old 60gb PS3′s right. The number of people who suffered problems after FW 3.10 almost hit 360 RROD emergency levels. If it wasn’t for the fact that the slim is so damn cool people would have bitched more.

18. theevilaires

Hindle, Sony is doing this on purpose. I have no doubt. Why are all original 60GB PS3′s the one that are suffering. They are looking to get more sells on potential re-buyers.

19. tarniak

According to Neogaf, the FAT 80GB CECHL consoles are also safe. Mine works like a charm at the moment, though I think I’m not going to test if it connects to PSN and I can’t guarantee that it will work for everyone.

20. kdogg

We’re fucked we’re all fucked. Why even bother living anymore

21. Redh3lix

The problem has nothing to do with PSN, Tarniak m8.

22. The Hindle

Its a sign the end of the world is near guys :)

23. tarniak

Oh, you’re right, guess I should have payed more attention to what I read. Still, info about 80 GB FAT’s being safe might be useful for someone. ^^

24. reask

Hold on a minute I have a slim.
    Just tried it and all I have is a blank screen.
    WTF is going on here Sony.

25. G1GAHURTZ

Wow.

26. Eregol

@reask

Did you turn your tv on?

27. Gekidami

Slims arent affected and a blank screen isnt a symptom. You’ve either by sheer coincidence got another problem or you’re telling porkies.

28. reask

Yeah of course I did eregol.
    It wont even eject the disc I have in it.

29. No_PUDding

The 2k bug could have been real!

Instead we get the Ps3 2k10 bug… not quite as epic. Just a little infuriating.

30. McLovin85

Lol someone is going to get the sack for this if they can’t figure out a solution.
    Wouldn’t want to be a programmer working for Sony right now.

31. G1GAHURTZ

Just checked, and my Slim seems to be working fine.

32. reask

You are taking the piss gek I hope.
    Why would I tell a lie about it ffs.

33. reask

Oops my bad im afraid.
    The missus was cleaning around here yesterday and pulled the hdmi cable out.
    Thank f**k for that.
    I love my slim again. :D

34. G1GAHURTZ

LOL!!

Classic.

35. Eregol

And the award for biggest over reaction of the day goes to……..

36. Redh3lix

lol reask.

37. Len

I’ve got a fat bc ps3 which has been on standby over the wkend (I think) but not switched on.

I ain’t doing anything till they sort it out…

38. IRISHBULL

“one of them clearly thinks it’s a leap year when it isn’t”

The Y2K bug was a wussie compared to the Leap Year bug!!

39. Gekidami

I thought “It wont even eject the disc” Reask. *rolls eyes*.

40. Redh3lix

It’s the machines internal clock from what I’ve read around teh internetz, Len, so it’ll make no difference whether you turn it on or whether your connected to the net etc.

41. reask

I know, ah man I’m an idiot.

42. G1GAHURTZ

At least your PS3 still works.

43. reask

Ok Gek no need to kick a man when hes down. :)

I forgot I had taken the disc out.
    I panicked I mean cmon I owned up at least. :(

44. McLovin85

I have 10 PSN games on my PS3 and only 3 of them work right now. The rest give the same error message and won’t boot up at all. Bit of a joke really, they better fix this quickly.

45. Alakratt

I’m a big PS3 fan, everyone knows. But this is just fucking ridiculous! The fact that only PHAT models are being hit by this makes you think.

46. Michael O’Connor

*hands out tinfoil hats to everyone paranoid enough to believe that Sony did this deliberately to “destroy” old models and BC units*

47. mington

maybe they’ll give us a free game for our troubles :)

when xbox live went shitty a while back, they gave us all undertow for free

we should demand free games!!!

48. Michael O’Connor

They’ll want to do more than that, considering there are potentially people who legitimately bought these machines but don’t have them hooked up to the internet would may have their consoles permanently damaged by this.

49. mington

free motion controls!!!

50. Michael O’Connor

Free replacement consoles, more like it.

51. Patrick Garratt

I’m looking forward to SCEE’s statement.

52. reask

I would imagine they would fix them ones for free M OC

53. G1GAHURTZ

@ Pat: They don’t comment on rumour or speculation.

54. Thalius

Wow cool has it if they had to replace every fat for a slim for free :-) not gonna happen but its a warm felling… lol

55. theevilaires

Sony is doing it on purpose FFS! wake up people. Class action Lawsuit NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

56. Michael O’Connor

BTW Pat, something in this post is messing up the layout: http://www.vg247.com/2010/03/01/10-million-wiis-sold-in-japan/#more-82924

57. tarniak

@mington – haha, in your dreams. The difference between PSN and Xbox Live is that you pay a lot of money for the latter one. All we can get for all this trouble is an apology by some fancy SCE public relations bloke. :)

58. G1GAHURTZ

What an amazing way to ruin your own reputation in a single night. If a patch doesn’t sort this out, the entertainment division or whatever it is now, can probably forget about being in the black any time soon.

59. theevilaires

Someone made a mistake and sent to many deactivate old PS3 signals through the net last night and now the cat is out of the bag. FUCK YOU SONY! I WILL BE PURCHASING XBOX LIVE TODAY BECAUSE OF THIS SHIT.

60. OrphanageExplosion

This is the third and final omen before the End of Everything. The second being RROD of course. The first? Dave “Games Animal” Perry.

61. Michael O’Connor

*gives TEA an especially large tin-foil hat, shaped like a fedora*

62. Alakratt

O’Connor I didn’t say that they are doing it on purpose. I stated a FACT and for who have a brain (and use it) it makes them think why only the PHAT models?

EDIT: Shit…TEA thinks it’s a conspiracy? Fuck…now I have seen everything! Whoever let this fuck up happen will get fired or killed. I prefer killed.

63. Michael O’Connor

Because obviously the problem only exists in the PS3′s hardware?

Anyway, that was mostly directed at TEA, not you.

64. theevilaires

You do know Sony can affect your PS3 without firmware updates right you idiot. Either this is a ploy for them to push their new pay for service or their plan to get rid of the old backward compatible systems so people will buy the slim.

65. Redh3lix

Bet good money they wont issue a patch or promise anything until tommorow.

66. kdogg

but does it affect all the phat models yo?

67. Alakratt

@ kdogg

Up until now yes. But some people are commenting that 80GB models aren’t affected (I have a 80GB) but I won’t even turn it on in the meantime. Good thing I was out yesterday!

68. Gekidami

If its anything like the leap year bug Zunes had, then they wont need to issue a patch tomorrow; it’ll have already fixed itself.

69. Alakratt

@ TEA

If it IS a ploy then it would be to force people to buy Slims. It makes sense since they’re not affected.

70. theevilaires

well to be sane for a moment i hasn’t affected me, but after FW 3.10 my 60GB has been acting weird freezing after I play a couple of games of COD4 and watching videos from my HDD or my external HDD. That fucking snake KAZ cant be trusted and I’m sure if this is a conspiracy he’s behind the whole fucking thing.

71. Gekidami

No. CECHL01- and CECHP01- models arent affected.

72. mington

Now developers’ PS3s are hit by system errors

Debug units unworkable due to endlessly looping error message

Various developers and studios are claiming that their debug PS3 units are failing from suspected internal-clock-related hardware errors.

A multitude of debug consoles – crucial to the development of current PS3 projects – have been thrown into a rebooting cycle, due to an endlessly-looping error message.

The issue comes as a separate issue is affecting retail PS3 consoles, though both problems are thought to be related.

73. theevilaires

Sony wants nothing more than to get rid of those old B/C PS3′s. I’m sure it must be a nightmare pain to make firmware that won’t effect those PS2 chips. They don’t have to worry about that with the slim. So they want to kill off all the old ones.

Ever since that last damn update original 60GB PS3′s have been dropping like flies with several issues ranging from no audio or video, to freezing, and the YLOD.

You mean to tell me up to this point there hasn’t been mass issues of this for those models, but now that the slim is out these problems are starting to crop up faster than artificial corn. FUCK IT. ITS A DAMN CONSPIRACY.

74. Eregol

@tarniak
    Xbox live is hardly a LOT of money.
    £40 a year? That’s £3.33 a month, or 11p a day. Not expensive in the slightest.

75. Benjo1981

If this is a hardware problem, I assume the only way to fix it is to replace the PS3?
    Conversely, if it’s a software problem, it can be fixed by a firmware update? Yet, the problem seems to be that the problematic PS3′s can’t get onto the PSN…to get the firmware update.

Does this leave the only option being replacement of PS3′s?

76. OlderGamer

I expected Tea to be defending Sony atm. To be honest, I don’t think it was planed. I think sometimes shit happens. I don’t blame Sony for this, but I do think they have a responsibilty to fix it.

77. Gekidami

No, PS3′s dont need to connect to PSN for updates (infact when you download an update it disconnects from PSN). And its not exactly a hardware error in the litteral sense. Chances are pretty high it’ll have fixed itself by midnight GMT.

78. Johnny Cullen

8O

The mastermind behind this! It’s Kojima!

=O

79. Gekidami

You dont mean…

Kojima: “The system is mine! Your games and your PS3 consoles are no longer your own!”

“BEHOLD! GUNS OF THE PATRIOTS.”

80. Benjo1981

Oh yeah, I think the Xbox does the same thing (disconnects from LIVE to update).

So, hopefully, either it sorts itself out..or Sony send forth a nice little update to fix the problem.

Still, they could have done without this..

81. Benjo1981

Here’s a good fix for the problem:

82. Johnny Cullen

That must be it Gek. Makes sense too!

In serious business, another update from DF. No going back to older firmware updates to fix the problem.

83. OlderGamer

lol @ Benjo

84. Gekidami

How would going back to older firmware fix it? I doubt they made changes to the internal clock through updates.

And ofcourse Hitler isnt happy. :D
    What memes are left? :P

85. DaMan

@Benjo :D

86. theevilaires

“I expected Tea to be defending Sony atm.”

Ummm I’m not psychotext who makes up pie charts to defend M$ from stupid well known proven failure issues.

If someone is at wrong I don’t care who it is. They need to fix their error and ensure it will never happen again.

87. OlderGamer

I am with ya Tea, I just kinda thought I could log on here and find you telling us(me) to chill, Sony will fix it, and all will be good.

I am worried about my system. I really don’t want a slim, for us BC is a big deal. My son has had it in his room for the last couple of weeks, playing MAG, Civ, and a handfull of PS2 games.

88. Eregol

For once I agree with OlderGamer. And I’m also loving the shorter style of post.
    Much better to read.

I love my BC PS3. The fact it’s still going strong fills me with glee.

It wont be turned on today, that’s for sure.

89. Johnny Cullen

Updated.

MusterBuster, the UK community manager for PS, has given the closest thing to an update so far.

90. Patrick Garratt

Update with a Muster Buster post. Says to expect news “shortly”.

91. The Hindle

Everyone is getting along today, jesus its too good to be true.

92. No_PUDding

No update?

93. No_PUDding

NO F YOU HINDLE YOU XBOT!

94. The Hindle

Dam Pud you Playslave!!!

95. Psychotext

I want to play Heavy Rain. I was one scenario off my platinum. :cry:

96. No_PUDding

‘Playslave’!

I like it man!

@Psychotext, it’s a good thing, you were getting a little far ahead of me. What with your DS plat and all.

97. Psychotext

I’m tired of gaming down to your level damnit! :P

98. zoopdeloop

Most people are in the same boat :)
    Today my HR copy arrived :( quess i’ll put it on hold.
    So is there a high chance that this will be fixed on it’s own after midnight?

99. Gekidami

Wait and see, its a surprise!

100. Redh3lix

101. Gekidami

So Sony is telling us to wait 24hours whilst they see if it fixes itself.. Euh, i mean, whilst they try and fix it.

102. ianbenoir

that’s really sad…
    hope they fix it soon and make it up for all users affected.
    free content would be nice.

103. zoopdeloop

If it doesn’t fixes itself i don’t think Sony can fix it either.
    also i don’t think they are working at anything right now they just try to figure out what are they gonna do and say tomorrow if it doesn’t fixes itself.

104. Johnny Cullen

Updated. Thanks.

105. Michael O’Connor

GAME stores are refusing to trade in units, so don’t even bother: http://www.thegamingvault.com/2010/03/game-retailers-refusing-to-trade-in-affected-ps3s/

106. zoopdeloop

Calling back all BC ps3 models and exchange them with Slim models plus a free game for all this inconvenience caused.
    (GOW III) :P

107. Uncontested

all I know is this shit better be fixed by the time I have my copy of Bad Company 2 tomorrow.

108. DaMan

update!

109. AHA-Lambda

Wow game stopping trade ins 8O

This shit just got real =/

110. theevilaires

This day should be officially called XBOX day. Cause if you have one its the only console that matters right now. Sony is done, finished. They lost and will forever be the idiots of the gaming industry for dropping the torch.

111. AHA-Lambda

Pachter has chimed in =D

112. reask

I sincerely hope you are wrong Tea.
    Sony have a problem which they will resolve I reckon.

113. xokero

More INFO. http://www.clandragonrojo.es/fallo-mundial-ps3-error-8001050f-playstation-network

114. Blerk

Wow, I take a day off ill and the fucking world ends while I’m sleeping. :-D

Fingers crossed for everyone affected. Hope you’re all back in business within the hour….

115. AHA-Lambda

Apparently it is working now BUT there is still some trophy damage.

I’m going to wait until the morning until I see what the damage is. I BETTER NOT LOSE ANY TROPHIES!!!! D=

116. lindblum_resident

Guys, there’s no trophy damage. The trophy set is simply not there in the same way it’s not there when you haven’t played the game yet.

Start the game in question and the set will appear.
    Then, sync with the server and it will give them back.

NOTE: Simply syncing with the server without starting the game first and then exiting will not give them back. Hopefully, someone will notice this and remind people in the next article since it’s the one thing that seems to confuse all PS3 owners right now.