Nintendo patent hints at force feedback for next DS

Tuesday, 23rd February 2010 08:26 GMT By Johnny Cullen

DS patent

Nintendo could be planning force feedback for the next DS, according to a patent from the company.

The update, made on January 28, shows rumble in an interaction between the stylus and the touch-screen.

If it does end up being in the next DS, it will be apparently joining motion controls: something rumoured to be in the handheld by a senior development source last week.

That’s despite claims to the contrary from Nintendo president Satoru Iwata, who said comments he made on motion controls for the next Nintendo handheld recently were taken out of context.

Thanks, Joystiq.

1. Blerk

This is absolutely happening. I don’t know why they’re even bothering to deny it at this point.

What rumbles, though? The console? The screen? The stylus?

2. Patrick Garratt

Got to be the console itself, surely? And yeah, I don’t think we’re going to be waiting that long before this is official, personally. E3 seems pretty obvious.

3. Blerk

A rumbling stylus could increase the machine’s appeal to women even more, though! :-D

4. Patrick Garratt

haha

5. mington

sales with lonely house wifes goes through the roof! :)

i’m thinking, the evolution of the DS is too lose the stylus completely

maybe they’ll do way with all buttons, and just have a multipurpose trackpad/touchscreen on which you input all your controls

6. Blerk

I’ll be buggered if they do lose the stylus – I have a hard time making touch-screens react to my fingers. Not just the DS, any old touch screen. I think I may be part alien.

7. JonFE

I’d leave that stylus well alone, mington. Not everything has to turn into an iPhone/iTouch/iPad now, right?

I have to say that these finger-control user interfaces feel like a drawback to me sometimes. I mean, we have improved screen technology and resolutions, only to resort to user interfaces that need big control boxes around everything, in order to react to our thumbs and fingers. Where’s the evolution in that? It’s like inventing forks, spoons and knifes, yet continue eating finger food. :?