Asia still not getting FFXIII on 360

Monday, 1st February 2010 11:21 GMT By Johnny Cullen

ffxiii4

Square Enix has reiterated that Final Fantasy XIII won’t be coming to Xbox 360 in Asia.

Instead, countries like Singapore, Taiwan, etc, will get it for PlayStation 3 only.

A rep said: “Square Enix has not announced the availability of an Asian version of FFXIII.”

The RPG was confirmed on Microsoft’s platform for the west via “that gigaton” at E3 2008.

It was thought a year-and-a-half ago that a 360 version of the game was announced for Asia, but it turned out to be a misquotation.

Oh well; there’s always importing from the west.

From asiaone, via Kotaku.

1. DrDamn

Certainly in HK a lot of shops will also sell the US versions of games. Assuming they are Region Free of course.

2. OlderGamer

I could write a book on my loathing over this type of thing. Don’t worry I won’t. But when people ask me why I favor western games and western hardware, this is why. Lest it is an example of it.

The JP are so centric, so isolated, so inner focused. It is they that show their bias and disdane for the west. I am sure someone somewhere will point out that the xb360 has a lower install user base in asia. To which I say … exactly my point. They wouldn’t buy hardware from a western company if MS gave it away for free.

Toss in stale outdate gameplay. Overly dramatic story lines. Their complete lack on anything remotly close to inovation. Their fear of Online Games. And ya know what? Kind of seals the deal.

Once in awhile a decent eastern game floats along and I, being a gamer first, buy, play and enjoy it. But mostly their game offerings have become a dark abyss that I avoid.

I am sorry but really, this is how I feel. JP hates us and disrespects us. This bothers me. Has for awhile now.

3. Phoenixblight

I agree but do you blame them? Its not like the West was very friendly *Cough* Hiroshima *cough* *cough* Nagasaki *cough*
    That is something they are still dealing with. Its only been half a century.

4. ybfelix

Xbox have a smaller install base in Japan, yes, but larger than PS3 in OTHER regions of Asia. SE just made a dick move. And MS did a stupid thing for allowing region locking on their console in this day and age.

5. zoopdeloop

Why all of a sudden we judge Japanese for their choices?
    They support their companies and products as they’ve been in the business for years rather than Western ones.Isn’t America doing the exact same thing with Xbox360?talking about self centric and inner focused

6. justiceblob

Having visited Shibuya and Akihabara a few times, plenty of people in Tokyo will have access to the game. but, SE is a Japanese company. The rest of Asia is a comparatively small market, so basically, why should they bother when their biggest market isn’t interested. And to re-iterate Zoop’s point,America is possibly the most inward democratic country in the world, so accusing Japan is not very clever until you include the US in that bracket.

7. Scyrenn

*wonders who the hell is paying OlderGamer for this shit and why*

Again.

8. ybfelix

What this has to do with you Americans and your judgement or inwardness? It’s us Asian XBOX players get screwed. What’s so hard to release a 360 english version? It’s not like it cost much extra, and every western game get released here despite the “comparatively small market”

9. Hunam

Pfft, Aisa hasn’t got a clue about getting screwed compared to us Europeans.

10. RGW1982

Seems Like An Obvious Move To Sell More PS3′s Through Out Asia.

Not Like They’d Want To Be Disc Swapping 3 Disc’s Anyways.

11. OlderGamer

Well in defense, I point out that the Nintendo Wii is the number one selling system in the US. I also point out that as of late, the PS3 and the xb360 have been selling fairly closely.

My point being is that in the US, you have the ability to pick, and most people don’t have prejudged ideas. they simply buy the best product for them. I own all three systems this gen.

This move, and several others like it leading upto this point are designed to stifle foriegn trade. It reduces competition. Alot of it is on the JP consumer, but that type of thinking is imbeded on their minds from early on.

I am not going to argue WWII tactics. Be it the Atomic Bombs or Pearl Harbor or Nazi Death Camps or Nightly Bombings over London or The Landing of Normandy or The Liberation of Paris. There is lots to talk about there but it doesn’t belong in games forum.

I see this move as simply being a way to handicap foriegn trade and limiting choices. Of course its their right to do that. But I don’t have to turn a blind eye to it, nor do I have to like it.

I wonder really, what SE is afraid of? Could it be there are concerned over a western game system gaining popularity on their home turf? Why would that be a problem? Because if JP gamers(inmass) at the street level started deciding that they would rather play a ME, Gears of War, or Halo instead of the same ole FF game, that could make it very tuff for SE to compete. I think there is criedence to that, look at the loss of JP market share in western markets. I bet they see and fear the xbox as a veichel for western games.

I am not some angst ridden, gun toting, foriegn hating, closed minded neanderthal American. But this move from SE bothers me, as I feel it hints to a larger problem that has been lurking for years.

12. Gekidami

If SE really ‘feared’ the 360 gaining ground in Japan they wouldnt have released several games exclusively on it. They did shit sales ofcourse, thats why they arent even going to bother putting XIII on 360 over there.