New Super Mario Bros. Wii sells 10 million units worldwide

Monday, 25th January 2010 12:29 GMT By Johnny Cullen

nsmbw

According to a report from Nikkei, Nintendo’s confirmed New Super Mario Bros. Wii has sold over 10 million units worldwide.

Over 3 million copies of the game were sold in Japan, over 4.5 million units were moved in the US and selling 3 million in Europe.

A couple of weeks ago, the platformer had sold over 3.8 million units in America according to NPD results for the month of December.

And Nintendo Europe confirmed at the start of the month that it had sold 2.5 million units since its release back in November.

It was the third best-selling game in Japan of last year as well, beating Final Fantasy XIII and selling 2.4 million units.

Thanks, Kotaku.

1. mington

herell wego

2. Psychotext

It’s a me… MW2 crusher.

3. Blerk

So much for me picking up a copy ‘when the price drops’. :-D

4. Gekidami

I played up to the end of world 3 then stoped. I really dont see the appeal this has, i find it boring and repetitive. I dont know how many worlds there are in total but at the point i’m at i feel as if i’ve seen everything the game has to offer and now i’m just going through the same motions again and again.
    Then again i got the same impression from Super Princess Peach and Wario Land Shake Dimension after the first 3 or 4 worlds in them to.

5. Johnny Cullen

PT – XD

6. Psychotext

Word of advice on this one… don’t play it with anyone you like, and would like to keep on liking. :D

(I tried to be patient, I really did!)

7. NGCes26294BIV

Another first-party title selling well on a Nintendo console. Who’d've thunk it?

8. The Hindle

Christ Nintendo are unstoppable

9. myiagros

I really enjoy this game, but if only nintendo had allowed you to save after each level it would be so much more accessible.

On some of the harder worlds completeing 3 levels with 5 lives, before being allowed to save is torture.

10. JPickford

Just farm a load of lives. You can save+quit any time you like so there’s no real danger of losing progress so long as you keep your lives topped up.

Proper saving would be better of course.

11. Michael O’Connor

I find it ironic that people are bitching about Nintendo making a game too hard. They’re either not making “proper” games, or they’re too hard.

You do know there’s a button that allows you to skip past any part that you find too difficult though, right?

Also, if you’re not playing this with other people, you’re missing half (three quarters?) of the point.

12. JPickford

You have to die 8 times before you get the skip option. It’s not simply a button.

As for playing with 4 people, it’s quite fun in the coin collect mode but trying to play through the game that way is extremely frustrating. I think it works better as single player game.

13. Michael O’Connor

Frustrating? It’s a laugh.

14. The Hindle

Yep @11 Its also the same about orignal games people complain when a game trys something new i.e Heavy Rain but bitch at all the fps. Just no pleasing some people

15. OlderGamer

My Game of the Year choice last year. Most fun I have had in a long time. The wife, kids and I all play 4P co-op. Not frustrating at all. Because you can “Bubble” and let more experienced players float past tough and tricky spots, its a bit easy at times.

This is what Gaming should be. No gimicks, no political statements, no foul mouth anti heros, no sex mini games, no blood oozing down your TV screen, and best of all it isn’t yet another FPS. Yep no space marines to be found anywhere, and 100% no trying to achieve realism or simulate anything.

Just 100% honest fun. It is what it is, simple fun. I can fully understand why so many people take one look and go “meh”. But I love it :)

16. Michael O’Connor

“My Game of the Year choice last year. Most fun I have had in a long time.”

But… but… it doesn’t have a story! And it doesn’t have online mulitplayer! And it’s not in HD! AND IT’S NOT THE WII!

It can’t *possibly* be a good game! *shakes fist*