Fri, Jan 22, 2010 | 07:30 GMT
Epic: “No regrets” with Microsoft over Gears exclusivity deal
Epic Games co-founder Mark Rein has said that the company has “no regrets” over the exclusivity deal it has with Microsoft over the Gears of War series.
His comments came after analyst Michael Pachter yesterday claimed the firm had “regrets” over signing the deal with MS.
Speaking in the comments for our original story, he said the Wedbush Morgan analyst was wide of the mark.
“Michael is wrong. We have a great relationship with Microsoft and we have no regrets,” he said.
He also replied to one of our readers comments, saying that rumours on series about to several publishers including Sony, fighting Microsoft to take out the chainsaw melee gameplay mechanic from Gears of War 2 and more were simply “not true.”
A couple of weeks back, Gears of War lead designer Cliff Bleszinski said Epic was working on “awesome shit” which will be revealed “when the weather’s warm”.
It’s unknown what he was talking about.
Epic president Mike Capps made noises on the subject of Gears 3 at Tokyo Games Show, though, last September when he said whenever the next Gears of War lands, it’ll be on next-gen consoles.
He soon retracted his comments, saying if another title in the series was coming, it’d be released in this generation of consoles.
The identity of projects going on at external Epic studios, however, are a little clearer.
Poland-based People Can Fly recently trademarked Bulletstorm.
In 2008, Epic acquired Chair Entertainment, the studio behind last year’s popular Xbox Live Arcade game, Shadow Complex.
Chair has the rights to to make a game based on the novel made by Orson-Scott Card, Enders Game.