Zipper Interactive thinks XBL is more “juvenile” than PSN

Thursday, 21st January 2010 21:52 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

MAG

Zipper Interactive’s Ben Jones has revealed he feels Xbox Live is “more juvenile” than PSN, which is why MAG is a better fit for the PS3 audience.

“I actually consider Xbox Live the more juvenile of the two [due to] the things that are being said over Xbox Live”, said Jones during an event held in London yesterday, per GamerZines. “Each service has its own posse. I think the PlayStation audience definitely fits more to our game.

“As we saw in the beta we’ve got an audience that’s willing to communicate and willing to organize and structure, and help other people to play the game. That’s the most remarkable thing that I saw in the beta – random people helping other players along to try and familiarize themselves with this really cool experience.”

MAG’s out on January 29 and those who played the Beta and experienced connection issues – don’t worry. Sony says things will be fixed before launch.

1. onlineatron

Give PSN users some microphones and I’m sure that scale will even out in a hurry.

2. Psychotext

Pretty much. Everyone’s a fucktard on the internet… it’s just you can actually hear 95% of the 360 users. :(

3. zoopdeloop

No offense but maybe because a huge percentage of the 360 userbase(if not major)is 16 yo and under…that can’t control their feelings.

4. AHA-Lambda

Maybe the user base itself may or may not be more juvenile but 360 has bigger user base and more mics so therefore more vocal fuctards

5. onlineatron

Undeniably the 360 has a wider install base than the PS3 so there are bound to be more kids with one.

However, at the same time there is the XBL fee which could deter parents from letting those kids online.

If a kid has a PS3… they can get online… they just don’t have a mic.

6. Psychotext

Edit – No matter.

7. aprotosis

A Sony controlled PS3 exclusive developer waving the flag for the PS3? Say it isn’t so! And as evident from the comments already, even the Internet can recognize hyperbole.

8. zoopdeloop

@4-5 you think…i have been to many PSN multiplayer sessions of many games with sessions full of many different mic users and yes they are much more friendly and polite than those from the XBL.

9. zoopdeloop

@7 Waving the flag about a fact.They didn’t sound it like PSN is superior which is not

10. onlineatron

It also depends on what game you are playing. I had MW2 on PS3 and had to constantly mute players for racist and offensive language.

If your playing a multiplayer session with a fully mic’d team of a PS3 exclusive, that perhaps doesn’t have an established brand amongst younger gamers, then I’d expect people to be more mature.

But if your playing a massively popular game (like Cod) it’s the same story as XBL.

11. Psychotext

Do you even have a 360 zoopdeloop, or are you talking about what you’ve been told about XBL?

That aside, can you not discern the difference between the sort of people who would go out and buy microphones for games and… well, everyone who gets a microphone for free with a console.

12. zoopdeloop

@10 I have been to many CoD multiplayer sessions on the PSN and some on the XBL and off course there are offensive users on both but the difference is huge

13. KAP

If a “kid” has a perent dumb enough to buy them a £284.99 console what makes you think they wont get them a £24.99 mic if asked?!

14. Aimless

I’d actually agree to a certain extent. Obviously I can only speak for my own experience, but in broad strokes I’ve found the PS3′s online community to be less vindictive. Then again someone else might have completely the opposite experience, so…

If there is anything to it I’d point to Live having a more US-centric audience. Microsoft used to advertise their service as a platform for trash talking and general fratboy behaviour over there, and I’d say that shaped reality to a degree.

15. zoopdeloop

What’s the difference Psycho…as i said i’ve been to sessions on the ps3 of some games full of mic users including COD games and the difference is huge.
    I purchased a 360 2 years ago just for Lost Odyssey.I had a gold member account for a month if i remember correctly,i rented some other games,i didn’t actually play any multiplayer since 360 doesn’t include Wi Fi and i hate to strech out cables all over my house (so does my girlfriend she goes mad seeing cables lying on the floor) :)…My 360 is in it’s box in one of my closets almost a year now (keep it in the closet) :P
    But my best friend has a 360 so i know a thing or two,and i’ve been to his house countless times when he is in a multiplayer session of MW2,Halo ODST,Gears and some others :)

16. Psychotext

You hadn’t said that when I made my post, hence the question.

17. aprotosis

@9 “… about a fact.” A fact is it? Cool, show me the study. Unless you are just talking anecdotal “because everyone says so” evidence.

My own anecdotal evidence suggests that the social behavior of player with microphones on console games are the same, regardless of which console they own. Maybe the people I am playing the MAG beta with aren’t really immature, juvenile, jerks… but really do think I am a gay, pedophillic, furry-loving male escort and are just concerned about my percieved personal choices.

18. zoopdeloop

yeah i was writing another comment at that time.Bad timing

19. Psychotext

“but really do think I am a gay, pedophillic, furry-loving male escort and are just concerned about my percieved personal choices”

:twisted:

That’s a pretty extreme combination.

20. zoopdeloop

aprotosis no one said that PSN is the promised land of multiplayer there are some immature and juvenile users they are just much less than XBL and it has nothing to do with how many users each one has.
    I’m a girl and i never had a problem in PSN multiplayer sessions
    If you go first and show me your studies and why exactly Zipper is waving the flag for ps3 i will then show you mine ;)

21. Yoshi

Im sorry to say this but i disagree with him sayin people work together, when i play on my ps3 i neva have the same feeling of communication that i have with friends on my pc. = PC better than them all lol

22. Psychotext

“I’m a girl and i never had a problem in PSN multiplayer sessions”

Out of interest, how does your boyfriend feel about all this gaming you do? There’s a lot of guys on here that would love a gaming girlfriend.

23. zoopdeloop

I don’t have a boyfriend i quit that a long time ago… but i do have a serious relationship with a girl 5 years now….:)
    A lot of times we play together…she’s a gamer too :)

24. Stephany Nunneley

I just play with friends online via XBL and PSN, – and in MMOS for that matter – that way if there is any smack talk I can smack right back.

However, I have found that 99.9% of the males I play with are usually on their best behavior when they are around a female. They need to loosen up a bit ’round gals- those over 17 years of age at any rate.

25. Psychotext

@23: Fair enough, and good. My missus games, though she’s not a hardcore gamer like I am.

@24: Everyone is on their best behaviour with you… it’s cos you’re scary. ;)

26. zoopdeloop

@25: She’s not a hardcore gamer either,i am(obviously)

Why Steph,why do they think you’re scary?
    never mind…girls rule :P
    We love you :)

27. Galactic_Barret

I’ve witnessed, first-hand, how 10+ XBL users, my friends, behave when playing online. They’re assholes, all of them. They use racial terms, constantly browbeat their opponents, and send annoying voice messages to their victims after humiliating them(selves). None of them have PS3s, and I personally hear alot of users I don’t know behave similarly in my usage, so I just assume they (trolls) average at least half the Live audience. I don’t hear PSN users and thats how I like it (most times). People suck.

28. Quiiick

The real big behavioral difference of online-gamers is not between platforms but between north americans and europeans!

29. Psychotext

Waycyst!

30. Cess

Too bad Zipper hasn’t made a good game in almost 10 years now, so nobody gives a fuck about what their opinion is.

31. zoopdeloop

Quiiick has a point though…Americans are much more famous bullying than Europeans are

32. bugmenot

i always thought this was common knowledge. I put it down to a few factors. Those being Xbox having a greater share of the young teenage,american, mic using market.
    I dont think more psn users using mics would necessarily worsen the problem since people reticent to talk are more likely to be reticent to cuss, intimidate etc.

33. DeSpiritusBellum

Haha, yeah, obviously MAG developers spend a lot of time playing their 360′s! They know Xbox Live like the backside of their hands.

Sometimes I suspect Sony Entertainment of telling their partners to make claims as outrageous as their own. It seems to be the company line by now.

I’m yet to find an online gaming audience that isn’t full of idiots, you get them in World of Warcraft, you get them in Call of Duty, you’ll get them in MAG, and I’m pretty sure any other mainstream online title you could think of. That’s just how it works when everybody plays along.

I once read an article by another biased guy claiming that PS3 fanboys were the most juvenile, and that he suspected it was because they had their consoles bought by parents, who wanted their little golden nugget to have the most expensive gear. Made sense to me since a PS3 was half a months salary after tax for the average bachelor-graduate here at the time.

It’s just as wellfounded a point as mr PS3 exclusive developer up there tries to get away with, but I’d say that that one is vaguely better founded in logic.

34. Aimless

Err, I’m sure a lot of Zipper employees do play on their 360s. Why wouldn’t they?

35. SniperWolf

WTF guys you talking about MAG and here we have girl on girl action
    zoopdeloop you……….
    GOD………..
    WHY……………
    maybe pictures please…
    NOT happening ………
    wait im out of my mind

36. Psychotext

lol

37. Eregol

Well, duh….

38. Blerk

And it was going so well, too. :-D

39. frostquake

I have both systems, 360 and PS3.
    I play Resistance 2 all the time on the PS3, and I MUTE every match now because some 13 year old or some 40 year old is constantly screaming racists obscene vulgar things constantly, Just like they do on games on the 360.
    SIMPLY PUT: There is NO DIFFERENCE!!!
    This is nothing more the spin and Propaganda to promote their game to get more and more users…for the game, simple.
    It is a marketing tatic, simply put, unless I know the ppl I am playing with online, whether it is Magic the Gathering on Xbox Live( Which is coming to PS3), or R2 on PS3..I mute them all. Last thing I want to here is someone constantly hitting that bubbling bong and yelling about the walls eating their toes off…LOL

40. deftangel

Beta experiences are often different from the full game also. The Halo 3 beta was pretty good craic with most people just having fun. It reverted back to type at full release, as will MAG. Especially as a key mechanic of the game is actively advocating some players boss others about!