Kotick admits that Acti’s Spider-Man games have “sucked”

Tuesday, 19th January 2010 18:42 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

spiderman

Bobby Kotick has admitted that Activision’s Spider-Man games have “sucked” over the last five years.

“Our Spider-Man games have sucked for the last five years,” Kotick admitted in the latest issue of Game Informer (via D’toid). “They are bad games. They were poorly rated because they were bad games.

“We went away from what is Spider-Man. It’s about web-slinging. If you don’t do web-slinging, what is the fantasy of Spider-Man?”

“I think it was one of those wake-up calls,” he added. “Even if you’ve been doing this a long time.”

He does feel that a good one can be done, citing the original PlayStation version which received a 95 Metacritic rating, and that you can always get it right again.

It was rumored that Radical was tasked with the next Spider-Man game back in April, which may end up being the case now that Shaba – the team behind Acti’s webbed one – had been shutdown.

1. Hunam

I think it’s because Spiderman sucks. There. I said what we were all thinking.

2. onlineatron

It’s not that, Spiderman’s great, it’s that it’s hard to make a Spiderman game as it HAS to be open world.

Unlike Batman it’s impossible to confine the game and concentrate of one area as you then eliminate the sense of freedom and awe that Spiderman inspires.

Very few developers can make open world games right… therefore most Spiderman games suck.

3. onlineatron

That said, I loved the PSone SM games and Spiderman 2 on the PS2… but I was younger then.

4. MushroomStamp

I just think the open sandbox formula sucks… creates too much repetition. Spiderman and friends was good for a 1 day rental.

5. onlineatron

It is a genre in a state of flux.

Someone needs to come in and reinvigorate it with variety and intrigue.

I’m pinning my hopes on Red Dead Redemption, but then that may be too limited (by it’s setting) to really push the bar.

6. mojo

Bobby Kotick has admitted that he sucks dicks for money would defo be more surprising..

7. onlineatron

@Mojo

Read between the lines… it’s there ;p

8. AHA-Lambda

I’m suprised he remembers as far back as the psone tbh

give us more spidey games like that they KICKED ASS!!

9. BraveArse

Please let this be his Ratner moment.

10. JimFear666

spiderman sucked because of treyarch.

11. onlineatron

It’s nice to see that anything Kotick says is met with disdain and rebellion by gamers… even if it’s true.

12. Herlock

He played InFAMOUS maybe ^^

13. SplatteredHouse

This sounds as if it’s in needs of a back to basics relaunch. Wolverine can be the first useless thing to disappear, the heck’s he got to do with Spidey? Right back to the sort of thing of what it means to be Spider-man. Not included should be considerations such as what have our competitors received approval from, when it comes to UI mechanics, as an example. It not being a film tie-in would also be a plus. I think I ask too much. :p

14. Hunam

Actually, I did play a good Spiderman game, Separation Anxiety on the SNES, that was rocking.

15. Len

Lol@9, if only….

16. Gekidami

Maximum Carnage and Separation Anxiety were good for their time but these days they just wouldnt make sense, Spiderman isnt about walking the streets and punching a load of rainbow hair coloured thugs in the face (thats Batmans job).
    Back then games didnt really have to have much in terms of plot and consistency, people just recognised the characters and that was that. These days if Spidey isnt freely web-slinking through New York it cant be accepted as a Spiderman game, they want him to actually do ALL the stuff he’s known for.

17. psxman

I loved the original Spider-man for the PS, that was golden! A fond memory and I truly hope it finds it’s way onto the PSN.

the ‘What If…’ mode was just insane and there were so many alternate costumes for dear spidey (I was the Scarlet Spider almost every time… thought ‘bag-man’ was awesomely daft).

Why is it that in this generation, alternate costumes and codes, just don’t exist? Are we expected to take a game too seriously? I’m thankful that Bayonetta exists as a result.
    Costumes AND lulz.

But yeah, Activision/Spider-man games suck. The movie based Spider-man was the last Spider-man game I paid for. v_v

18. Whizzo

Spider-man 2 on the last generation was really great (well the console versions at least, the PC game was awful), however that was back in 2004 so if Kotick is saying that was the last good one he may actually be right.

I feel dirty saying such a thing.

19. The Hindle

Get Rocksteady to make it.

20. Hunam

I bet Warner Bros buy up Rocksteady this year.

21. The Hindle

I hope not if they remain independant, they can work on other superhero licences

22. The Hindle

Saying that it would be incredibly hard to make a good Spiderman game same with Superman

23. Hunam

Warner Bros has basically bought any decent developer they have published a game for. They already have operations in the UK (they own Travellers Tales) and are still in the process of expanding their gaming business. Another UK developer who has just released the best superhero game ever made is an obvious purchase for them.

24. The Hindle

I know dude it will happen, i hope not though.

25. Hunam

I don’t mind to be honest. I don’t like Marvel characters (aside from Iron Man).

26. onlineatron

It’s odd that Sony doesn’t have the rights to the games… You’d think they’d secure a movie tie in and get someone like Sucker Punch working on it!

27. The Hindle

Onlineatron

I was just thinking the exact same thing, Infamous is what the next Spiderman game should use as an influence.

My Spidey sense is telling me that all future Spidey games will still suck though

28. Michael O’Connor

Call me insane, but I quite liked Web of Shadows…

29. Hunam

You’re insane.

30. Eregol

One day, one day, we’ll get a story of Kotick announcing he’s leaving the industry.

One day.

31. Johnny Cullen

If anyone likes a Spiderman game released after Spiderman 2 (that shit was dope, innit), you need a slap to the head tbh.

32. Blerk

Spiderman 2 is the last one which was anything like. I played through the original Spiderman on PSOne too and that wasn’t bad… wasn’t great either, though.

33. Gheritt White

From now on, everything will be based on the Marvel Ultimates version of Spider-Man. Mark my words…