PopCap, Bungie, Zynga start Haiti donation fund

Saturday, 16th January 2010 19:49 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

haiti

Game publishers and developers are asking gamers to open up their wallets and help out those devastated by the earthquake in Haiti.

Here’s some ways you can help in the relief efforts:

• PopCap: Today only, 100 percent of proceeds from purchases made in the PopCap store go towards those affected by the quake in Haiti. The sale lasts until 11.59pm PST, and all monies go to Partners in Health.
  • Bungie: This Wednesday and Thursday, the developer asks that Halo 3 and Halo 3: ODST players wear a Haitian-relief emblem in game, and for every 1,000 players who don it, Bungie will donate $100 to the American Red Cross – up to $77,000 depending on the number who participate. Also, a special edition of the Superintendent “Be a Hero” T-shirt’s on sale in the Bungie store, with 100 percent of the shirt’s $19.99 price also going to the American Red Cross.
  • Zynga, those crafty creators of addictive Facebook and social media games you are always sending friends invites to, have opened a fund drive through the World Food Programme. 100 percent of proceeds go to the charity.

Those who prefer other methods, can text for relief, which has so far generated more than $10 million in aid to mGive and the Red Cross. You can also donate through iTunes.

Via Kotaku.

1. No_PUDding

I dunno, the aid seems to be there, but organising it is a different matter.

Unless Popcap/Bungie/Zynga wanna fly over there and help clear up the bodies, I don’t think MORE aid will help.

2. Tallon 4

Great idea! Those poor people need every help they can get!

3. Gekidami

Bungies offer is abit confusing: So they will only give money if you actually log on to LIVE, boot up Halo 3 or ODST and select an emblem? Far as i know they dont gain any money from people doing this though do they?

4. Psychotext

Not that I’m aware, should technically cost them (MS) money in bandwidth. I reckon I can deal with the hardship of booting ODST and chaning my emblem. :)

5. Gekidami

Without the act actually generating any money itself it just seems like a pretty cheeky way of getting Halo 3 and ODST rated better in the most played LIVE games ranking to me.
    It would be alot more noble of Bungie if they just handed in that $77,000 (i’d assume thats the maximum they’ll give seeing as they say it can make “up to”) without the strings attached.

6. Tallon 4

^True. But still, it’s better than just watch and do nothing I guess

7. DarkElfa

I’m glad for the assistance, but I’m the type to always look a gift horse in the mouth. Companies only ever do this kind of thing for 2 reasons, tax breaks and PR spin, otherwise, they’d do it anonymously.

Company: “Hey, look at us, we’re helping people, aren’t we wonderful”?

True giving is its own reward, those who want an applause for it miss the point entirely.

8. Psychotext

@Gekidami: I doubt Bungie’s action would be enough to get it moved from 2nd (where it currently is) to 1st.

Edit – I was just about to mention the Superintendent T-Shirt sales… but it’s already there. I must have scanned over it. :)

9. Quiiick

@ DarkElfa
    So true! Good post.

10. DarkElfa

Well, it may seem cynical, but its a world you need to be cynical to survive in. Nowadays every thing is about spin, fine print and underhanded marketing. I wish it wasn’t this way but every company has become about giving you the littlest amount for the most money and the least effort. In that kind of atmosphere you have to eye all things like a potential back stab waiting to happen.

All rose colored glasses do is make it so you don’t notice the blood.

11. Tallon 4

Sure, it’s quite easy to have comment op de developers, but at least they’re willing to help.

I wonder how many people in this thread are donating their own money? I mean: you play a game and other people as Bungie spend their money to help others….it’s not even your own money.
    So what’s not to like? The fact that they get some free PR?
    I don’t mind about that, as long as those people in Haiti get what they need.