Pachter: PS3 and 360 hardware to get price cuts this summer

Wednesday, 13th January 2010 08:47 GMT By Patrick Garratt

ps3slim

Wedbush Morgan’s Michael Pachter’s predicted that both 360 and PS3 will get further price cuts this year.

The analyst said in a note (thanks, Joystiq) that he expected “another price cut for both systems some time this year (around summer),” noting that “because its manufacturing costs are lower, Microsoft has the ability to lower price as early as March or April.”

Pachter added that he thinks MS could introduce “a more feature-packed Xbox 360 in early 2010 (likely with a 250GB hard drive) at the same $299 price point” but only “if it begins to lose significant market share to Sony”.

Microsoft last made significant cuts to 360 pricing in September 2008, dropping in the US, Europe and Japan.

In that round of cuts, the Arcade dropped £129 (€179), 60Gb Pros to £169 (€239) and Elites to £229 (€299), reduced from £159 (€199), £199 (€269) and £259 (€369).

The American Elite was pulled down to $399 at that point, the average SKU to $299 and the Arcade to $199.

The cut before that, interestingly, was in March 2008.

Sony famously waited until gamescom last August to announce its first proper PS3 price cut, bringing the console down to €299 in Europe, $299 in the US and 29,980 yen in Japan.

1. Johnny Cullen

Sony – absolutely not. Not when they’re about to break even on the thing

Microsoft – This, I could actually see happening for one reason.

I’ll give you a hint: it begins with N. :D

2. Robo_1

Step away from the crack pipe Mr Patcher, no way in hell will we see a price cut for PS3 this summer, next year sure, this year – no chance. They’ll go the bundling route.

As for MS, I imagine they’ll keep the price the same, but bundle Natal in for free.

3. No_PUDding

Yeah I don’t know about that. I expect Natal will be ‘standard’, but I doubt the price will be the same.

4. JimFear666

well… I wonder if this guy is always serious when he say that kind of thing.

5. Blerk

I definitely think the 360 will get a cut in the US. Its current price (for the full fat model) doesn’t compare nearly as favourably against the PS3 as it used to. I was surprised they didn’t cut it before Christmas tbh, but looking at the projected sales figures for December it looks like they didn’t actually need to.

6. Patrick Garratt

It makes sense for MS to reduce it before Natal. If the camera’s to cost £30 solus, surely they’ll want the Arcade and the camera to add to around £100. And if that happens, Sony will probably have to move again as well.

7. Blerk

Of course, in theory Sony’s wands should be out before then. They could just bundle those into the package for nothing rather than reducing the price.

Europe’s probably due a bit of a PS3 price cut, though. It’s still quite a bit cheaper in the US than over here.

8. Robo_1

How do you think they can afford to sell it for 299.99 in the states. lol

9. Blerk

The Yanks seem to think that the 250gb 360 is about to replace the 120gb as the default ‘pro’ model.

10. Doc Robotnik

Well done Pachter – stating the obvious again.

Both consoles have about a dozen SKUs, so one of each will certainly see some kind of price revision.

11. Withnail

“Sony famously waited unti gamescom last August to announce its first proper PS3 price cut”

Maybe I’m misunderstanding your use of the word “proper” but there was a fairly hefty PS3 price drop in late 2007.

12. NiceFellow

I can see 360 getting a price cut as PS3 is outselling it almost everywhere outside US now except UK, and in US and UK it seems to be selling pretty darn close judging by holiday results.

Demand for 360 is lower than PS3 at the same price, so MS have to keep it below PS3. Also, I think they will consider a cut to make the cost of a 360 and Natal less expensive to buy when Natal launches.

Sony I’m not so sure. Apparently they are close to breaking even, and with HW and SW sales up they could I guess forgo making a profit on console yet again and pass any new cost savings to consumer.

I doubt they’d want to, though, unless again the decide they want the cost of a PS3 and Wand to seem less expensive.

13. polygem

i just purchased a ps3 (again) a few days ago. i had one once to play the exclusives like killzone and resistance. just couldn´t resist. also i still miss games like ratchet and clank on the 360. there should be more games like this on the system – it´s good to have that variety in gaming. i still hope so much for a new medievil for the ps3. come on! that would be awesome! later i decided its too decadent to have 2 consoles. i mainly used the 360 anyway…but i missed wipeout (fury really rocks!) and wanted to play uncharted 2…i didn´t regret buying a ps 3 again yet. i payed 299 Euros for a brandnew 120 gb slim including a copy of uc 2. i think thats fair. in the end i think paying 300 euro for a console like the ps3 120gb and the xbox elite is not too much – they´re worth that cash. now i feel like a teen but. if you like, add me: its “OhMikeOdd” on xbl and on PSN.

14. SunKing

I hope there’s a price cut so I’ll finally be able to afford a PS3 Slim and play The Last Guardian.

Realistically though, I find it hard to believe. Sales look very optimistic for Sony atm, and with several prominent titles coming out in 2010 they’ll probably hold the lead over Microsoft for a while yet.