Naughty Dog “not interested” in Uncharted with PS3 motion controls

Wednesday, 6th January 2010 15:34 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

uncharted25

Naughty Dog’s Evan Wells has said the firm will not be developing Uncharted-style with PS3 motion controls any time soon.

Instead, he said that he’d rather create a game designed specifically for the system.

“We really don’t have any interest in using the motion control to do a third-person action game,” he told G4 (thanks, Eurogamer).

“If we were going to make a motion controller game, we’d want to tackle it from the bottom up and make sure that we were designing the game around the motion control, the way the best Wii games are designed.

“I’m not a Wii hater at all, in fact, it’s probably one of my most played consoles in the house. I have a 3-year old son which might account for some of that [laughs], but Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort are some of the best experiences of this generation – honestly.

“Yeah, I think the PlayStation audience is totally for it. In fact, I bet you there are lot of closet Wii owners in the PlayStation community.”

The PlayStation 3 motion controller will release this spring.

1. Blerk

Thank God for sanity.

2. NiceFellow

Indeed. If you’re going to do it, do it right – something that too often gets changes to ‘let’s tack this on’.

3. Dr.Ghettoblaster

These guys are smart.

Anyone know what project Naughty Dog is schedule to work on next? I can assume U3, but that’s just a guess. Just curious as I think their track record is outstanding. (remember being blown away with original Crash Bandicoot back in the day)

4. MushroomStamp

Good. Motion controls are a gimmick. I have yet to play a motion controlled game that was any good. They are cool for a hot second, but not when it comes to competitive gameplay. NO motion controller EVER accurately represents the true motion a person is doing. You still have to train yourself on how the controller wants you to act instead of the controller detecting the way you act. Yes I own a Wii and there is a reason real(non-casual) gamers don’t play on the Wii. The last thing a gamer wants to do, is fight with a controller over what your input intentions are for movement/control.

5. Eregol

@4 Well, the Wii remake of RE4 was apparently well received enough for Capcom to do a motion control remake of RE5.

I know it’s a gimmick, but there are times it works.

But kudos to ND for being sensible. I’m too hetero to waggle at Nathan Drake.

6. Dannybuoy

No to waggle but yes to pointing controls… RE4 on wii blew me away. It was good on the Cube but on the wii.. well it kicked grand derriere. It can’t be hard to add pointing controls to the game. It would make it evan more special than it already is.. see what I did there… ;-)

7. The Hindle

Dr Ghettoblaster

Id assume its going to be Uncharted 3 and its more likely 3 years away. Evan says as much in the G4 interview