Capcom: “The future is the PlayStation 3 and the Xbox 360″

Wednesday, 6th January 2010 10:25 GMT By Johnny Cullen

capcomlogoa

Head honcho of Capcom France, Antoine Seux, has said the company will be doing a lot less stuff for Wii after the disappointing sales of Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles.

The game only sold 16,000 units in the three weeks since it’s launch back in November, in stark contrast to the Wii-developed version of Resident Evil 4, which sold 140,000 during it’s release in summer 2007.

“This is the year of the emergence of so-called ‘new console generation’,” said Seux.

“The Wii is still an important part of sales, but growth is on both [Sony and Microsoft's] platforms. The Wii console is very much a family commitment… for us, Capcom, the future is the PlayStation 3 and the Xbox 360.”

Earlier this week, Sega said it was no longer going to develop mature Wii titles after disappointing sales of The Conduit and Madworld.

Thanks, Spong.

1. Zarckan

What have I been saying for around 24months now?!

2. Patrick Garratt

I honestly never understood the whole “mature Wii” thing. It was kind of very obvious.

3. Blerk

As big a success as the Wii has been, it’s been an almost complete misfire with the traditional gaming audience. The thing is, Nintendo almost certainly don’t care – the new audience appears to be much larger and much easier to please.

4. Patrick Garratt

I’m amazed it’s taken this long for publishers to pack it in, to be honest.

5. Eregol

Do Capcom hire ‘State the obvious’ PR people now?

6. absolutezero

Mature titles did really quite well on the Gamecube though, especially for Capcom which is why it might have taken this long for them to realise that the Wii is a completely different beast.

7. Dralen

Re-release it on PS3 and 360!

8. dfar80

Yes, I’m sure Darkside Chronicles would be a tremendous hit on other consoles. It’s clearly the casual audience who is to blame here. Maybe Seux can release the game on those consoles of the future and tell us the results.

9. Hero of Canton

I’d be amazed if Darkside Chronicles was a tremendous hit on other consoles. Time Crisis PS3 hardly broke sales records, did it? And we’ll see how No More Heroes performs on the HD consoles – my money would be on significantly lower sales than the Wii version.

Part of the reason these third-party efforts are failing is that publishers are constantly treating them as ‘test games’ – testing the water with a hardcore audience. But these publishers are weirdly reluctant to support said titles with any kind of advertising budget, despite spending loads on PS3/360 games.

And for all the ‘hardcore’ flops on Wii, there are just as many big-budget equivalents on the HD consoles – often developer-sinkingly disastrous. Yet for some reason no-one ever really talks about the risks of developing these titles.

Essentially, I think there’s a sizeable ‘hardcore’ audience on Wii, who just won’t buy any games for the console that aren’t from Nintendo. It’s not the casuals that are quite so loyal to the company – they’ll pick up anything that’s heavily advertised – but the core. I know a lot of gamers who ignored, for example, Dead Space Extraction, despite very decent reviews. Why? Because they use their Wii as a Nintendo player, and stick to whichever HD console they also own for the M/18-rated titles.

In a month where the Wii sold over 3 million consoles in the US, and one where the top-selling single SKUs in the UK are all Wii titles, some of these publishers need to consider how best to maximise their audience on the console, instead of releasing half-hearted ports or spin-offs unsuited to the Wii, failing to support them with proper marketing, and then whingeing when they don’t sell.

It’s also a little foolish to quote the first week’s sales figures for Wii games when many of them are slow-burners. No More Heroes sold more than well enough to fund a sequel, while the original Umbrella Chronicles performed much better than its sequel because Capcom bothered to promote it, and because it was riding on the success of RE4: Wii Edition. And why did that fairly cheap port do so well? Because it was a fucking good game that appealed to the fans. Part of the reason for Darkside’s failure can partly be attributed to the earlier game being one of the poorer examples of the on-rails shooter genre, as well as that genre now being over-represented on Wii.

In short: I can see why Capcom and Sega are doing this, but neither publisher has helped itself with the Wii games it’s made. Almost a bit of a vicious circle, really.

10. Hunam

Give us monster hunter PS360 then.

11. mojo

simple ports would only go on osn /xbla. coz simply wii titles are to low-specced to cathc the audience with a full prize retial iretation.
    Maybe a collection of “segas and capcoms wii disapointments” would go well on retail

12. Hunam

I think Capcom were just bowled over by their early sucessess of Resi 4 Wii and the first on rails shooter selling a million each.

13. bxsentinel

the thing is now that nintendo has alienated the core gamers will they learn from those mistakes and smarten up for the wii hd or what ever they call the next console they release. cause they cant expect that casual fans are always gonna fund them forever. the thing is casual fans dont buy many games at all so sooner or later all those sales nintendo is having will sour. casual gamers dont buy many games, mopst people i know have no more 3 games, so nintendo really needs core gamers more than they think. but when will they see that is the question?

14. Blerk

I think they’ve quite successfully proven that they don’t need us at all, actually.

15. bxsentinel

@ blerk
    true but that will not last forever, especially with what ps3 an xbox are gonna bring to market soon. nintendo’s domination will run out.

16. Blerk

No, it won’t. Not this generation, anyway. The Sony/Microsoft ‘wandy/jumpy’ things are basically red herrings – they won’t appeal to the hi-def audience and they won’t entice Wii owners in because neither company ‘gets’ exactly what it is that attracts people to the Wii.

17. bxsentinel

@ blerk
    great point

but do u think nintendo would dare try this nonsense next generation cause if they do i think that would spell trouble?
    can you see it “wii super sports resort” only on wii 2 lol…

18. Blerk

Yes. I can see that quite clearly. I really do doubt that Nintendo will ever bother with ‘us’ again.

19. NiceFellow

@bxsentinel

I used to wonder that – but I tend to see it like Blerk now.

Nintendo have 1st party games that sell more than anything on 360/PS3, have a low cost console that sells for a profit (something the PS3 doesn’t and I’m not even sure the 360 does).

Sure their tie ratio is lower, HD gamers buy more games more regularly, etc.

But why should Nintendo care? They seem to have a huge audience all to themselves spending more than enough to make them way more profitable than MS or Sony (videogame and entertainment divisions).

As Blerk says, why should they want to bother with HD gamers?

Or to put it another way – why are Sony and MS falling over to get out motion controls, with MS in particular keen (desperate?) to market Natal as ‘the next big thing’ while Nintendo seem decidedly nonchalant about releasing and HD console?

20. Michael O’Connor

It’s gamers own fault for core titles failing on the Wii, and no-one else’s.

21. Blerk

I’m not sure that’s entirely true – hardly any of the companies complaining have put any kind of marketing push behind their ‘mature’ titles, so chances are they’re going unnoticed by some amongst the vast number of Wii titles on the shelves.

That said, if I’m being perfectly honest… I was never really interested in mature titles for the Wii in the first place, specifically because I don’t like the controls very much. We’ve had the machine for 18 months now and I’ve yet to buy a single game for myself, everything I’ve played on it has been bought for my son. So in a way… I’m sort of glad it never took off. Does that make me a bad person? :-D

22. Michael O’Connor

Do I really need to write up a list of all the top quality titles on the format to prove my point?

23. Blerk

No, because that wouldn’t like me make the controls any better. I’m fully aware that there’s stuff that’s good. I just don’t particularly want to play them.

24. Dr.Ghettoblaster

I’ll tell you what Capcom should do…

They should re-release their RE1 remake on PSN and XBL for download. That shit would sell mad style.

Then port all their current Wii RE exclusives over to the big boy systems as well and somehow make the controls work. I’d buy that shit in a heartbeat.

25. Michael O’Connor

Well Blerk, at the end of the day, you’re the one missing out.