Traveller’s Tales founder says “PSPgo will die” unless games get cheaper

Thursday, 3rd December 2009 19:19 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

pspgo

Traveller’s Tales founder, Jon Burton, has said that Sony’s digital games service needs to support cheaper prices or the handheld will go the way of the dodo.

“I own a PSPgo but don’t want to buy LittleBigPlanet, for instance, as I can get it 20 percent cheaper on UMD from Amazon and could resell it once I’m finished with it,” Burton told attendees at the Developer Jury Service.

“But if I download it, I get no discount, and no chance to resell – how annoying is that? I’m betting on Sony making PSPgo games much cheaper than the UMD versions, or the PSPgo will die.”

Tough words, there Jon.

More through PocketGamer.

1. Phoenixblight

Amen Brudda

2. OlderGamer

True, very true. Samething can be said for XBL/PSN games for download in general. Why would I spend 30usd on a Dig Copy of a game that will eat 1.5gigs of HDD when I can get the same game at the store for 10usd and save the hdd space? I think some of these execs need to get a clue.

3. theevilaires

and I agree as well

4. FeaturePreacher

Just one more reason the pspGo is a product sent to die at retail.

5. Phoenixblight

I think their logic is its a convenience fee.

“Oh you don’t want to go to the store?”

“Well you can have ours for the same price, at any time”

6. Dean

It’s rare to see the head/founder of a studio being an advocate of resale/2nd hand sales. It’s almost like he doesn’t care that 2nd hand sales can eat into developer revenue.

Maybe they sell enough copies of Lego [whatever the title is this week] that he just doesn’t care.. :/

7. Phoenixblight

Still there should be a discount because:
    A) Takes up HD SPace
    B) Have no physical copy

8. NiceFellow

Couldn’t agree more. Also, if the rental prices on the Video Store in Europe were sensible I’d use that too.

Guess Sony thrive on pushing high prices early on, savouring the dangerous demand swings and complaints, then lowering their prices to (hopefully) save the day.

9. OlderGamer

The thing is Phoenix, many of the games for download are more expensive then they are at the store. And I am not even talking second hand copies.

10. Phoenixblight

I know they are OlderGamer. For example Deadspace on GoD is x3 that of Gamestop resell version. Same for GTA and all the other classic games on XBL or even PSN classics.

If they want to nip the Resell of their games they should discount the digital version to a point where places like Gamestop gain no profit for it.
    Lets say for example Deadspace is 15$ at Gamestop but Microsoft puts it at the same price then whoever trades in Dead space would only get 5$ so the company gains 10$ profit.
    Most likely the person selling the game to gamestop would say “Fuck off I want 10$ or I walk” Gamestop doesn’t haggle so the person would end up walking off meaning No more Deadspace to resell.

You get the point if not someone smarter than me will explain it better. I am tired GY shift sucks while trying to stay up during the day.

11. OlderGamer

I am with you all of the way Phoenix.

12. freedoms_stain

I downloaded MediaGo the other day (apparently the only way to d see the prices of the games – no browser accessible storefront a la Steam) and had a look at the prices and content for myself.

Not all of the games are overpriced, but a lot are, the choice here in Europe is also fucking pathetic. There’s nothing to compel Euro Gamers at all, poor selection, poor pricing.

13. Dannybuoy

I’ve owned one since launch. I’ve bought tetris and LBP. That’s it. I’m used to buying cheaper games on iPhone so can’t justify the extra expense of most new psp releases. Although I think LBP is worth every penny of the £21 I paid for it.

14. SunKing

Finally! Somebody actually gets it.