Ubisoft’s counting on the future of 3D gaming

Friday, 27th November 2009 21:22 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

3dunderwater

Ubisoft’s crossing its fingers that 3D gaming will hit the ground running like a kid escaping the switch, according to Montreal bossman Yannis Mallat.

While most households do not yet own a 3D TV, Mallat compares it to stereo sound, saying that it’s the wave of the future.

“3D is to pictures what Dolby Stereo was to sound,” he told the Financial Post. “No one wants to go back to mono.”

James Cameron’s Avatar: The Game will be 3D capable on 360 and PS3 when it’s released next month, and so will the movie when it hits theaters.

As far as the future goes, Sony has already said it plans to support it, and Disney has talked about future animated releases being 3D from here on out.

Looks like the fellas back in the 60s knew what was coming when The Creature from the Black Lagoon was released, after all.

Via Kotaku.

1. satsugai

If it’s anything like watching a movie with those god aweful 3d glasses then no thanks. Is anything out at the moment in 3D or will Avatar be the first? Anybody tell if it’s any good?

2. Psychotext

Up is being shown in 3D in many places…

…unlike Mr Mallat though, I haven’t been won over.

3. Syrok

Coraline was in 3D, wasn’t it?

The last time (and first time) I saw a 3D film was in Disneyland years ago. It was pretty cool actually. Even with stupid glasses. :)

4. satsugai

But does this so called “new” tech have any artifacts? For example whenever wearing them red and blue glasses you’d see a weird overlapping of the 2 images, plus I find it hard to concentrate on the film and after about 10 minutes my eyes just hurt. I watched the new Journey to the Centre of the Earth (dvd btw, haven’t seen any new movies with the new 3d tech) about 3 weeks ago and had to take the glasses off. >_<

Oh one more thing do we still have to use some type of eyewear with our 3d enabled tv? Yeah too lazy to google about it. :p

5. Stephany Nunneley

I tried the new 3d glasses out at GDC, and they didn’t make anything ache. Then again, I didn’t have em on for 3+ hours either.

6. satsugai

Damn it so we DO still have to wear glasses. :(

7. Hunam

Yeah, still glasses, I tried them out at EG Expo, but it had scanlines on the screen so looked a bit shit, I think I was at the wrong angle, the set up was dodgy tbh.

8. hitnrun

I realize that every nook and cranny of Anglophonia is different in responding to new ideas and fads. However, I can safely say that neither I nor anyone I know is ever going to put on a pair of spaceman glasses in the presence of another person to watch a movie or play a game.

At least not until everyone else on the planet does it first.

9. Blerk

The new glasses are much better than the old ones ever were and the effect is much better too. That said, after 15 minutes or so I was wanting to take them off – and that was watching a movie rather than playing a game. I seriously can’t see it taking off in its current form, it’s a nice novelty and can be quite spectacular, but it’s still too eye-straining to use for any length of time.

10. Retroid

I saw Jaws 3D (yes, I know) in the cinema on original release and that was in 3D. Used those polarised (?) glasses which worked a HELL of a lot better than any red + green/blue jobbie.

But meh. An HD image is good enough for me.

11. Bulk Slash

Hopefully “proper” 3D TVs that output a polarised picture will start to become widely available as then we will be able to do away with the flickering shutter glasses and just wear lightweight polarised lenses instead (and without the headache too).