Pandemic to shut down according to internal EA Memo [UPDATE]

Tuesday, 17th November 2009 19:32 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

pandemiclogo

Update: According to the same internal memo acquired by Gamasutra, EA plans a “re-invention of the Medal of Honor franchise with a new design that is simply stunning” along with Might and Magic creator Jon Van Caneghem leading “the Command and Conquer brand with a new digital model that is going to re-ignite the fan base for this franchise.” More through here.

Original: Looks like an internal EA memo from VP Nick Earl has confirmed that Pandemic is to be shut down.

CEO Andrew Goldman, president Josh Resnick, and vice president Greg Borrud were let go, with “core IP” members being rerouted to the main EA offices LA.

“I want to make it clear that the Pandemic brand and franchises will live on,” wrote Nick Earl in the memo. “In the months ahead, we will announce plans for new games based on Pandemic franchises.

“This type of change can be difficult. But the situation calls for us to act decisively, to take control of our destiny and to run a stronger, more focused development operation. That’s how we will continue to make great games in our LA studios.”

No word on just how many were let go, but earlier reports had it at around 200.

Epic’s Cliff Bleszinski said via Twitter that those let go could always apply at Epic, as it is hiring. So is Gearbox.

More over on Kotaku.

1. Psychotext

Good luck to the guys and gals who will be looking for new jobs. Never fun, but especially not at the moment.

2. Stephany Nunneley

Well, at least there will be a “re-invention of the Medal of Honor franchise with a new design that is simply stunning” out of it, and Might and Magic creator Jon Van Caneghem’s to “lead the Command and Conquer brand with a new digital model that is going to re-ignite the fan base for this franchise.”

According to Gama. http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=26120

3. reask

I like the MOH franchise.

4. blackdreamhunk

anothe console game dev gone bankuprt I wonder who is next.

If they had stay pc game devs maybe they would have been around.

My words are solid, I wonder what console game company is going to be next.

So how is the wii doing these days, yea them consoles are soooooooo great.

makes tons of money says Cliff Bleszinski and some other game devs

5. Stephany Nunneley

It doesn’t matter if it was a PC, console, or multiplatform developer. It’s sad when people lose their jobs, especially around this time of the year when the kids are screaming for presents. Very depressing. My heart goes out to them.

6. blackdreamhunk

well there is going to be another round of game devs that will go bankuprt before the ression is over.

my words come to pass

I said it on videogamer months beofre these things happened

I said it on edge online

I said it on gamespot

I said it on kotaku

7. Psychotext

You’re wasting your breath (fingers?) Stephany, all he cares about is twisting a story about 200 people losing their jobs to fit his opinions about console gaming. Of course, that’s completely ignoring the fact that Pandemic developed for the PC too.

8. blackdreamhunk

“twisting story” sorry I like truth. Your to hear alot more game devs go bankuprt.

At the end of the day my words come to pass, end of story.

9. Ashelia Bnargin Dalmasca

Steph: BDH doesn’t actually care about the fact that real people are losing their livelihoods and their careers and the money they need to help support their family or raise their children.

He’s just trying to prove his blind and idiotic vendetta against console games. He’s probably never had a single responsiblity in his life that he has had to be responsible for, like a job or a family or children. You’re wasting your breath on him.

Condolences to the people who lost their jobs. I hope they find something soon. Good luck to them all.

10. blackdreamhunk

it’s not my fault if people don’t want to listen. I mean the media it self blindly follows lies and a death trap.

11. Bringit

MEDAL OF HONOR: MODERN COMBAT. I thought I read that on here?

Update:

Nope read it here.

12. Ashelia Bnargin Dalmasca

BDH: You’re an idiot, as always. Now we can add heartless and conceited to that list.

13. blackdreamhunk

You can hate me all you want but the truth hurts.

At the end of day I said it will come to pass and did. It will happen agin too before this ression is out.

enough said!

14. Ashelia Bnargin Dalmasca

Ignoring the fact that they were a big PC developer, right?

That truth?

You’re an idiot. Everyone *knows* you’re an idiot, and you’re the only person who think you’re not.

15. blackdreamhunk

I’m look at the WII sales EA was sure a big fan of the wii

them consoles they are on a major decline

high production costs

used games

pirated console games, oh by the way people have been saying there is no piracy on consoles

rented games

Oh one more thing ression. the last thing Pandemic last game was a console port.

it goes along with the meny flopped console ports

do I have to start this debate agin

16. Armitage

@bdh

I have to ask, why do you actually want console developers to fail? As a PC gamer, shouldn’t you really be concerned as to the health of the PC gaming industry? Why would the state of the console industry be of any concern to you? I have a PS3 and a PC, so I personally want both platforms to prosper.

17. Panipal2005

do I have to start this debate agin

No, you can shut the fuck up, we don’t mind.

18. blackdreamhunk

did I ever say I want them to fail?

I have siad they will go bankuprt. I gae my reason meny times.

I have also given where game devs and publishers should go.

it’s not my fault people forget.

If you don’t like it, it’s not my fault. You can say you were not warned

I am sure you can find proof all over vg247 too with me saying such things.

19. Gekidami

For someone that goes on about ‘truth’ and ‘fact’ all the time BDH sure does love to ignore ACTUAL truths and facts. Like finacial reports from all the big publishers blantantly showing that console gaming isnt only their biggest earner but that its on a rise.
    As for PC gaming? Yeah, pretty much free-falling.

Decent proof of BDH’s pure stupidity is the fact that he’s saying that Pandemic is closing because they’ve gone bankrupt. Yeah, try actually READING the article buddy.

20. blackdreamhunk

@Gekidami I had my round with you do you want to go agin? oh wait you have short term memory.

21. Gekidami

lol Yeah i remember you failing to disprove EA, ActiBliz and Ubisofts sales figures all showing growth in console gaming then you just changed subject. Sorry to say but you were pretty much owned.

22. blackdreamhunk

oh really do you want me to remind you what EA thinks of consoles

do you not remeber ubisoft is down like almust every publisher in the business irght now.

oh wait you forget about the burning platform.

23. Gekidami

Do you want me to remind you how much more money EA makes off consoles compared to PC gaming? Or how EA’s sales figures show a blantant decline in PC game sales and a rise in console game sales?

You see BDH, you can catch a man saying something bad about another thing. Unfortunately for you thats not actual fact, just an opinion.

24. deanimate

dear god…you people do like to feed the troll don’t you?
    it really isn’t hard. if you don’t like a troll then you ignore them completely and they go away.

if you genuinely enjoy this back and forth then obviously carry on. yet if you do not enjoy nonsensical ramblings then for christ sake stop the acknowledgment.

25. Armitage

@Ashelia

“Get out of your mothers basement, get a job, raise a family and have kids, and then you can talk about this subject, you disgusting, soulless, empty pile of shit.”

Could you explain how having kids has any bearing on the conversation whatsoever? Is having kids now mandatory? Does it give you some insight into the state of the games industry I’m currently unaware of?

As for the rest of your hate-filled bile, I can only say that from my perspective it is you that is disgusting, soulless, an empty pile of shit. In a tedious, predictable and infantile manner, you call any who disagrees with your point of view, time and again, “an idiot”. Which passes for an argument and wit when you are indeed an infant, but seems somewhat immature when employed by an adult.

I’m not defending bdh here. And I’ve never had a problem with anyone else here. I’m just telling you, personally, how you appear given how you respond to other people. You remind me of Jim Sterling of Destructoid, who also seems to like calling his commentators “idiots” if he disagrees with them, as if this is at once both the height of wit and a point of debate when it is neither, and also as if by that calling he would appear more intelligent by comparison, while the opposite is true. You should probably just fuck off to Destructoid. You’d fit in there.

26. Ashelia Bnargin Dalmasca

“Could you explain how having kids has any bearing on the conversation whatsoever?”

“”you call any who disagrees with your point of view, time and again, “an idiot””

No, I call ignorant people idiots. That’s what they are. It has nothing to do with them disagreeing with me in the slightest.

“In fact, you seem to devote much of your time attacking anyone who disagrees with you on the internet with this puerile name-calling, which says more about you and your own life than it does about any of those you choose to belittle.”

Thanks for proving you’re an idiot as well.

I point out people’s ignorant assumptions and poorly researched opinions. People don’t like being called on stuff like that, but I frankly don’t give a toss. I don’t have time for bleeding heart liberals or sensitive egos.

Grow a pair.

I’m calling him what he is, based on his behaviour that *proves* he is such. I can disagree with people just fine, as long as they’re not ignorant retards while disagreeing with me, a category BDH especially falls into.

27. Armitage

“Thanks for proving you’re an idiot.”

Ooh, good one! Sharp. If you genuinely believe that, fine. I realise that’s the closest to wit you’re capable of getting, as you’ve used that in almost every post you’ve gotten into a “debate” with someone about.

“I point out people’s ignorant assumptions and poorly researched opinions.”

Then could you give a source for your “fact” you gave out in the thread about the Xbox 360 failure rates? Otherwise, I’m afraid to say you do appear somewhat hypocritical. Oh, and to descend to your level for a moment, and an IDIOT! SO THERE! Nur, and so on, to boot.

“I don’t have time for bleeding heart liberals or sensitive egos.”

Well if that’s what you believe I am, shut the fuck up then and stop wasting your time, no? You dim-witted, bile-ridden, imbecilic genital wart.

28. Armitage

Oh, and:

“Because he might understand what it’s like for GROWN UP adults with FAMILIES to lose their jobs. His lack of sensitivity is a disgrace to humanity in general.”

Thought you didn’t like sensitivity? Anyhoo, the point being adults without kids are quite capable of understanding the plight of others. Your lack of understanding here is a disgrace to whatever group of cretins it is you belong to.

29. Ashelia Bnargin Dalmasca

“I realise that’s the closest to wit you’re capable of getting,”

I wasn’t aware I was trying to be witty. But hey, facts don’t really matter to you when all you want to do is “prove” you non-existent point. You’re just making up half-assed logic and reasoning out of your ass in order to “be right.”

“Then could you give a source for your “fact” you gave out in the thread about the Xbox 360 failure rates?”

I intend to. In the 360 thread. How about *you* show me a source that *proves* that the 360 failure rate is as high as you want to believe it in?

The absence of the truth is still a lie.

“Thought you didn’t like sensitivity?”

That statement doesn’t even make sense.

I have every appreciation for sensitivity. I have every appreciation for respecting people. People who *deserve* it. I simply said I wasn’t going to be sensitive about someone’s fragile ego and wilful ignorance.

Do try to keep up. if you’re going to argue a point, at least try to stick to it.

30. Armitage

“How about *you* show me a source that *proves* that the 360 failure rate is as high as you want to believe it in?”

I’ve no idea what the current failure rate is, nor have I expressed any such belief. Where have you got that from? I was asking you state a source as you were calling out somebody else, once again, predictably, as being “an idiot” for citing one source while you failed to cite one yourself. I’d be interested to see your rock solid source, as I’m interested to know what the failure rate is now.

“Do try to keep up.”

Indeed.

“I have every appreciation for respecting people.”

No, you don’t. That’s the point. If anyone has a viewpoint different from your own you come out with the same childish “you’re an idiot” line, every fucking time. You may have a different idea of respect, but I imagine it is one similar to that a child has of those that disagree with him, as you certainly express yourself in equivalently infantile terms.

And as you don’t seem to have the ability to respect other opinions or to treat those who have differing viewpoints with any respect, I’m not going to show you any.

31. Ashelia Bnargin Dalmasca

My tl’dr response: You’re an idiot.

“I’m not going to show you any.”

I never said you should. At least *you* have the balls to say what your think, which is a refreshing change.

32. prawntoast

Christ, some of the comments in this thread are fucked up with the conversation spinning off into irrelevant personal attacks. Some people need to chill out or go and indulge their petty arguments elsewhere.

On topic, it’s a real shame that Pandemic didn’t prosper following their acquisition by EA, like Bioware seems to have. Sadly, the quality of recent releases really let them down and burned a lot of the goodwill they had built up in the previous years.

33. Armitage

“My tl’dr response:”

Yes I’d imagine a few sentences might be a bit much for you.

“You’re an idiot.”

How could I have guessed you’d come out with this again? Still, I suppose just spewing out the same response everytime anyone disagrees with you saves you actually having to think, which again seems to be problematic for you.

34. Armitage

@prawntoast

Yeah, you’re right. My apologies to this thread.

35. DarkElfa

Look, not that I’m attempting to defend BDH’s views or anything, but all of this “poor Pandemic” nonsense is just that. Sure, its sad that people are out of work but if they had done their jobs better, they would still have them. Its not like some poor schmoes at AT&T who got bumped for the bottom line. These guys were directly responsible for their own lively hood through game creation and if they had made better games, they would not be closing. Empathy is needed but so is common sense. If someone throws you in a hole, that sucks but if you dug the hole and fell in, you have nobody to blame but yourself.

36. Armitage

While I haven’t played Pandemic’s games myself, I know they were well respected, and I hope that those affected find other employment soon.

@DarkElfa

Pandemic aren’t responsible for the current financial climate or for EA’s particular financial situation, though.

37. Psychotext

Umm… actually in this case DarkElfa that’s exactly what happened. Pandemic were dumped because EA is haemorrhaging cash and they badly need to cut costs.

Pandemic’s main problem was the fact that they were an unwanted sibling in the EA takeover of Bioware.

38. Ashelia Bnargin Dalmasca

“How could I have guessed you’d come out with this again?”

Because I was doing it to intentionally humour your short-minded predictions.

Duh!

“These guys were directly responsible for their own lively hood through game creation and if they had made better games, they would not be closing.”

No they weren’t. They were shut down because of Electronic Art’s financial problems, not because of their own personal issues. They did their job just fine.

39. Armitage

Ill-bred whelks frown upon you.

40. Blerk

Seems doubly mean of EA to say “we’ll keep the IPs, it’s just you we don’t want”. Merry Christmas! :-(