MW2: Acti calls “biggest entertainment launch in history,” $310 million day one in US and UK

Thursday, 12th November 2009 12:48 GMT By Patrick Garratt

modernwarfare213

Activision has claimed that Modern Warfare 2 has achieved the “biggest entertainment launch in history,” with UK and US day one sales totaling $310 million.

“According to internal Activision estimates,” the game sold approximately 4.7 million units in the US and UK in 24 hours of launching.

Mike Griffith, Acti head: “The shattering of these entertainment records is a testament to the compelling, cinematic and uniquely engaging experience that the Call of Duty brand delivers. Modern Warfare 2 has taken interactive experience to unprecedented heights setting a new standard for entertainment.”

PR after the break.

Call of Duty(R): Modern Warfare(R) 2 Shatters Opening Day Sales Records With Approximately $310 Million in North America and United Kingdom Alone
Most Anticipated Game of the Year Becomes Biggest Entertainment Launch in History

SANTA MONICA, Calif., Nov 12, 2009 /PRNewswire-FirstCall via COMTEX News Network/ — Activision Publishing, Inc. (Nasdaq: ATVI) announced today that Infinity Ward’s much-anticipated Call of Duty(R):Modern Warfare(R) 2 has become the biggest launch in history across all forms of entertainment with estimated sell-through sales of $310 million in North America and the United Kingdom alone in the first 24 hours, according to internal Activision estimates.

Modern Warfare 2 was released on Tuesday, November 10th, to worldwide fanfare across the globe, including over 10,000 retail outlets in the U.S. alone which held midnight openings to meet consumer demand. In its first day, the blockbuster title sold through approximately 4.7 million copies in just North America and the United Kingdom, according to internal Activision estimates.

“The Call of Duty franchise has become a cultural phenomenon showing the power of video games as an entertainment medium,” said Mike Griffith, CEO, Activision Publishing, Inc. “The shattering of these entertainment records is a testament to the compelling, cinematic and uniquely engaging experience that the Call of Duty brand delivers. Modern Warfare 2 has taken interactive experience to unprecedented heights setting a new standard for entertainment.”

Modern Warfare 2 picks up following the historic events of Call of Duty(R) 4: Modern Warfare(R), the blockbuster title that remains the top selling first person action game in history. Modern Warfare 2 is rated “M” (Mature) by the ESRB for Blood, Drug Reference, Intense Violence and Language. For additional information about the game, visit www.modernwarfare2.com.

1. Freek

Isn’t this getting a little out of hand? I mean VG24 is almost a MW2 fan site now rather then a general games blog. 0_o

2. captaineurogamer

So pachter was the closest then

3. Psychotext

Halo nooooooooooo! :D

4. Doomsayer

i have to agree Freek, MW2 is the new iphone as it seems ;)

5. Razor

It makes me sick that Bobby Kotick will get a huge bonus for this.

6. Patrick Garratt

Freek – Don’t worry. It’s tomorrow’s chip paper ;)

7. G1GAHURTZ

No, Pachter was not closest.

That 4.7 doesn’t include other regions such as mainland Europe, Middle East, Australia, etc, which should at least push that number up by another million plus.

8. theevilaires

I just wish it wasn’t going to that slim ball Kotick. The game is still shit MP wise and I just hope SP can redeem itself as the other half. I started the SP on COD4 yesterday and so far its meh. Killzone2 story is much more interesting.

9. Sardauk

?? Killzone 2 has no story.. that was one of its problems..

10. theevilaires

actually it did but I guess you were too amazed by the graphics that you didn’t notice….I don’t blame you though the raw power of the PS3 can do that to you sometimes…be a little more careful when you play UC2.

11. ruckus

I’m soooooo bored of the MW2… but what can I do?

12. Gheritt White

Wait wait wait – I love KZ2, but c’mon, it’s story is pretty poorly exposed. CoD4′s story was *far* better conveyed, but I didn’t find the game nearly half as fun.

EDIT: Actually, to be fair I can’t really comment as I’ve not finished either KZ2 or CoD4. I have no intention of buying sequels to either, also.

13. theevilaires

I’ve never played a full COD story before not even on PS2, and I never said it was better because I haven’t finished COD4 yet. The part that I’m at (the broadcast station) has been a meh experience for me so far. It could get better, but don’t mind my words I’m being sour because MW2 MP let me down big time. It has that “my dog has died feeling” or the “same great taste new bottle design” lie you see in supermarkets.

14. JonFE

See?
    BDH’s words *are* solid..
    mwhahahahahahaha
    So it begins…
    MWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

:P

15. loki

Good result, but without PC port result will been much better

16. Whizzo

loki and logic, two things that will never appear in the same post.