Report: Up to 1 million XBL users have been banned

Wednesday, 11th November 2009 21:18 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

xbox360logo

While the gaming world’s aware that Microsoft has put the hammer down and started banning folks with modded Xbox 360′s, a new report states that the number of players tossed could be higher than originally thought.

When the news first broke this week, it was estimated that around 600,000 were toast, but now it seems that up to 1 million could have been affected.

“All consumers should know that piracy is illegal and that modifying their Xbox 360 console to play pirated discs violates the Xbox Live terms of use, will void their warranty and result in a ban from Xbox Live,” Microsoft said in a statement.

With over XBL 20 million users worldwide, expect that number to get even higher.

Via Guardian UK.

1. Psychotext

That’s gotta sting.

I know three people who have “gone straight” because of it, so it’s at least having some sort of effect. I’m sure a lot of people will just roll the dice again though… and time will tell how long it takes to get banned a second time.

2. blackdreamhunk

@Psychotext

So you know of console pirates yet you trsh talk pc gaming about pircay

by the way good luck to mircosoft and trying to beat hackers

the ccost of consoles are going to go up.

3. Ashelia Bnargin Dalmasca

Heh. They get what they deserve.

4. MushroomStamp

Whatever… I have 2 boxes.. one got hit.. one didn’t.. do you know what it it cost me to replace? $99 … I know personally 12 friends that have been banned. All of them just went and got a new box and modded. It’s still cost effective to replace the box than “give up”. My personal reasons aren’t trying “steal” so much as I got so fed up with spending money on games that either sucked or had no replay value. I still purchase games that are great.. just so happens only about 3 of those a year.

5. Psychotext

Out of interest… will you buy another one when this one gets detected, or are you sticking to only playing offline?

6. freedoms_stain

Need a modded xbox that won’t connect to live? Craigslist is your friend.

7. Quiiick

“… I got so fed up with spending money on games that either sucked or had no replay value.”

What a lame excuse to pirate.
    Don’t like the games? Fine, don’t PLAY them!

8. MushroomStamp

To be honest.. I have replaced them in the past to get back online.. however this time I could care less. I have been playing on the PC more lately and will use my current banbox just for single player games. Then occasionally pop the HD onto my non-ban system to update my GamerPoints :) Currently at 45k.. .but i’m caring less about that even. Since I do the Mod’s myself it’s not a big deal to mod them nor do I have to pay someone else.

** Quiick.. You don’t know you don’t like them till after you play them. Like I said, i still pay money to make sure the developers that deserve it are paid.

9. Psychotext

You mean a box that’s already been banned, or a modified box? I was under the impression that the way the new banning system works is that when you try to take the profile / hdd etc off a banned machine it becomes corrupted and you’re forced to re-download it on the non banned machine (hence losing all your achievements since the last sync).

10. MushroomStamp

I’ve always just put my HD on another Box and away I went. My XBL account isn’t banned. The data has never “corrupted”. My understanding is that it would be illegal (sorry, had to chuckle) for MS to do anything to the physical data on my system because I own it. Hence the reason they only ban from Live, which they can control.

11. Psychotext

This is a recent change Mushroom, as of this latest banwave. They also remove the ability to install games to the HDD.

12. NoxNoctisUmbra

I bet those hackers have more then just 1 account for GOLD..

13. Psychotext

What would be the point of having multiple gold accounts? It’s the console that gets banned, not the account.

14. NoxNoctisUmbra

Ahh I see thats good then!

15. MushroomStamp

I’ll try it out tonight when I get home and see what’s up. I know I wasn’t able to install to my HD with a rip game, but I can still install with a real game. Unless I installed that game yesterday before the ban actually locked it out.

16. Psychotext

I’d be quite interested in seeing if you can still install legit games. There’s quite a lot of arguing about that particular change at the mo.

17. Dr.Ghettoblaster

…yes but how many have been spanked…?

18. theevilaires

Thank you for proving my point to the stubborn poster know as Psychotext, Mushroom.

19. MushroomStamp

I just had my son try FN3. Nope. No installs to HD… I’ll bet a paycheck this won’t last long… I say a fix for that will be out before I want to install another game.

@ theevilaires: what point?

20. Psychotext

You can read his rants over in the Another Ban Wave topic in the forums. I’m not entirely sure what point he’s talking about though.

On topic, I doubt there will be a fix for that as it would involve modification of the system software… which the hackers still can’t do. Unless you mean a fix from Microsoft, which also seems unlikely.

Thanks for checking btw.

21. Jadeskye

nah the problem is when the systems go online, syncronisation takes place and when microsoft realised the console isn’t legit, down comes the kill code.

22. DarkElfa

“With over XBL 19 million users worldwide…”

There, fixed. ;)

23. JonFE

Seriously, what’s the problem in banning/punishing the account as well? I don’t get it…

24. Galactic_Barret

Ban your account? What, and not get anymore money outta you? Nonsense! MS would sooner send a rep to your house and smash your the than remove your ability to pay them.

25. OlderGamer

Gratz to MS for using the ban hammer.

26. DarkElfa

Wow, imagine your surprise if you bought a second hand console previously modded by its first owner and didn’t know.