Modern Warfare 2 sells 1.23m copies day one in the UK [Update]

Wednesday, 11th November 2009 16:37 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

MW2

Modern Warfare has sold 1.23 million copies in the UK, day one, according to GfK-ChartTrack.

The number is double that of GTA IV’s day one sales of 631,000, making MW2 the fastest-selling game in UK history with 1,230,588 copies sold.

Broken down, it means that the game is in approximately one of every 24 UK homes.

That’s a lot, there.

More through MCV.

Update: Full ELSPA/GfK PR passed the break.

London, United Kingdom 11 November 2009/ – Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 did not fail to live up to the expectations as one of the most eagerly anticipated videogames releases of all time. Initial first day UK sales – November 10 – reveal that Modern Warfare 2 sold an estimated 1.23 million units, grossing around £47 million.

According to figures just released by ELSPA/GfK-ChartTrack, this almost doubles the previous record held by Grand Theft Auto IV which sold an estimated 631,000 units, grossing £27.2 million on its first day of release (April 29, 2008).

Michael Rawlinson, Director General, Entertainment and Leisure Software Publishers Association (ELSPA), said, “These first day sales figures are astonishing and clear evidence that videogames are now mainstream in the UK. Our form of interactive entertainment has completely come of age. Just like some movies and books, this is specifically intended for an adult audience and accordingly has emotional, adult content.

“So, as an 18-rated videogame, it is important that this game is not played by children, and parents should be appropriately vigilant. We ask everyone to make sure they check the packaging of games to ensure they are suitable for their players, especially as we enter the festive season when videogames are one of the most popular gifts of the holiday.”

1. G1GAHURTZ

Thsis only te begining

ahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

2. Patrick Garratt

Wow.

3. ecu

Holy christ. How did this game get so big?

4. Detale

Indeed. That’s quite an achievement.

5. Ashelia Bnargin Dalmasca

So hey guys, that petition went well, didn’t it?

*laughs his ass off*

6. Psychotext

Jesus. That’s batshit mental. I knew it would beat GTAIV, but not by that much.

I wonder how many after day 2 when Sainsburys et all got a bunch more stock.

7. blackdreamhunk

your laughing just wait after the hype we will see who’s laughing after

my words are solid

I am not moved by hype I look long term and the after math

8. blackdreamhunk

here I have just one more thing to say

here is a great video

off the backs of pc gamers

9. Ashelia Bnargin Dalmasca

“I am not moved by hype I look long term and the after math”

You mean, when it becomes one of the biggest selling games of all time within the year? Yeah, I’m looking forward to that as well!

Ahahahaha!

10. Patrick Garratt

That’s fucking crazy. My hat is off, IW. Amazing scenes.

11. Psychotext

I mean… just in the UK. Holy fuck, a lot of devs would sell their souls do do day one numbers like that worldwide.

12. Pysk

I’m really interested in the long term sales for MW2, perhaps it’s “just” a sales-explosion at the start and then sales decrease pretty fast…

But who knows, it’s f*cking MW2?!

13. blackdreamhunk

Psychotex sell their “souls”

one more thing it still not bigger than blizzard.

we will see what hapens after with the after math.

I am sure news gets around goverments will ban this game.

I am going to have a hey day

14. Broncanus

What incredible numbers… well done to IW and well done Activision! Great job.

On another note, call me cynical… but I wonder if such massive numbers indicate that all those people moaning and complaining still went out an bought a copy :)

Blackdreamhunk, you tremedous tosser, what say you? Are you enjoying the game?

15. blackdreamhunk

please I am way too smart to buy junk, console junk that is

16. Detale

So you’ll buy PC junk then?

17. Johnny Cullen

That is incredible.

Wow.

18. Ashelia Bnargin Dalmasca

*laughs*

19. blackdreamhunk

off the backs of pc gamers

20. Gheritt White

What is that video meant to prove, BDH?

21. blackdreamhunk

your smart why don’t you think about, if your smart you will figure it out

22. Kalain

Those are very impressive numbers. Day one sales are nice, but what will the actual figures be after 6 months?

This is why, to me anyway, console game sales are all about a single day rather than the lifetime of a game. Sure, it looks nice on paper and the accountants will go crazy, but the game will stop selling massive numbers after a very short time.

Thats just my view on it anyway, impressive numbers none-theless.

Also, wasn’t GTA IV on Xbox first?

23. Gheritt White

BDH – you don’t even know, do you?

Talk about hot air – you’re full of it! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

24. Psychotext

@Kalain: COD4 had some pretty serious legs. It did 3-4 million in the first month and over the course of the next year and a half sold another 10 million.

25. blackdreamhunk

Psychotex sell their “souls”

26. freedoms_stain

“Only BDH could notice that it’s the fast selling game OFF ALL TIME and consider it “junk”.

*laughs*”

Because popularity makes something objectively good, right?

27. blackdreamhunk

junk

I could show you things that would you would freak out about.

I would have you questioning your self

28. The Hindle

Exactly how the hell did it get this big.

29. Ashelia Bnargin Dalmasca

“Because popularity makes something objectively good, right?”

Not always no. But Modern Warfare can’t exactly be defined as a shit game by *any* stretch of the margin, whether you like the franchise or not.

30. freedoms_stain

If you’re an SP gamer you might consider 5-6 hours of gameplay for that RRP pretty shitty.

31. Ashelia Bnargin Dalmasca

If you bought Modern Warfare solely for it’s single player, you’re an idiot.

32. freedoms_stain

The point is different strokes Michael.

Concede.

33. Ashelia Bnargin Dalmasca

I never said it wasn’t the case.

But something not being to your tastes or preference doesn’t automatically make something shit.

it’s called keeping an open mind.

34. freedoms_stain

Well yes, me not liking something generally does make it shit. Might not be to you.

35. reask

Ashelia Bnargin Dalmasca said:

If you bought Modern Warfare solely for it’s single player, you’re an idiot.

A bit unfair really but then I suppose that’s the way it is.

36. Psychotext

I bought CoD for its single player (and co-op)… but then at £25 I don’t care if it’s only 6 hours (+ whatever)

37. Gekidami

Its worth pointing out that you can also solo Spec-Ops, your not forced to do it coop.

38. theevilaires

lol you bought MW2 also psychotext? WOW I know you suck at MP games but MW2 is so tuned for casuals you might even beat G1GA on your first play.

39. Johnny Cullen

Yeah, but its slightly harder. I have tried to do Spec Ops on the easier difficulty level, but bar the first one, I can’t pass them.

I am fail. :’(

40. Ashelia Bnargin Dalmasca

“So basically if you don’t care too much about playing on line with a bunch of 14 year olds tough luck then.”

That’s why we have these things called “friends”…

41. M2Kx

wow, great surprise…

42. Psychotext

I still wont be playing MP TEA. I had my fill of that with Team Fortress and Quake when I was younger… and now I have neither the time nor the inclination for it.

43. reask

Well Ashelia your friends are not always on at the same time as you or playing the same game.

44. theevilaires

yea I’m gonna tell my friends to stop playing ratchet,GOW3,GT5,MAG,WipeOut,Warhawk,or Demon Souls because I want to play MW2 team matches as a clan at 11:05pm

Oh O’Conor, silly rabbit tricks are for kids :P

45. abbe

“Ashelia Bnargin Dalmasca said:
    November 11, 2009 at 7:05 pm
    If you bought Modern Warfare solely for it’s single player, you’re an idiot.

Ashelia Bnargin Dalmasca said:
    November 11, 2009 at 7:15 pm
    I never said it wasn’t the case.

it’s called keeping an open mind.”

Whats this about an open mind?
    Never really liked the MP of cod4, doubt I will like this either…

46. G1GAHURTZ

What makes it worse are the people who do that then complain that they didn’t get enough starter, and are still hungry.

You can’t ignore 50% of a game and still expect to not feel like you’re missing something.

It’s just silly.

47. abbe

So if I hate the MP I should continue playing it instead of playing something else that I enjoy?

Now that’s silly.

48. Psychotext

I think his point (in a roundabout way) was more about people complaining after only trying the SP content and finding it too short.

49. Ashelia Bnargin Dalmasca

“Never really liked the MP of cod4, doubt I will like this either…”

Then simply don’t buy it. That doesn’t make it shit.

Open-mindedness involves understanding different tastes while maintaining your own. For example, I have absolutely no interest in football, but I can still appreciate why people like the sport.

50. abbe

My comment about your open-mindedness were that you called someone an idiot for only buying it for the SP, how is that being open-minded about something?

I have never stated that I will not buy the game, I will buy it, just not because of the MP.

MW2 seems to have an excellent SP, I found MW to have a fabulous SP and well-directed action, thus I look forward to trying the SP of MW2. I found the MP in MW to be quite… lacking. Especially after playing games like BF2 and BF2142 and spending around 400 hours in TF2.

But apparently I’m both an idiot and silly for thinking the SP is more fun than the MP and still worth paying €30 for it. How is that open-mindedness?

51. freedoms_stain

O’Connor, “open-minded” means being receptive to new ideas and has precious little to do with appreciating things you know you don’t like.

I’ve no interest in football either, I’m not open-minded because I understand the appeal for those who do, I’ve experienced football, I don’t like it, it’s boring, and I would describe the experience (in terms of spectating) as “shit”.

Keeping an open mind on football would involve having little to no experience of it but still being willing to try it.

You’re not advocating “open-mindedness” you’re actively practising “Shut up unless you agree with me or you shall be mocked!”

Yeah, I know bdh is a troll, know what trolls love? Attention. So clam up.

52. theevilaires

G1GAHURTZ said: Buying MW2 for the single player only is like ordering a 3 course meal and not eating the main course.

It’s just silly.

Dude?, Did you just steal my words? I could have sworn I’ve said that statement to you in another article while trying to prove my point about something…..oh yea I was talking about how you buy a $60 game for xbox360 but can only access half the game if you don’t have Live :P

53. G1GAHURTZ

LOL!

Nah, honestly, I had no idea that you’d used the same analogy before…

54. Blerk