Shattered Horizon released on Steam, requires DirectX 10

Saturday, 7th November 2009 21:30 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

shatteredhorizon

Shattered Horizon was released on Steam this week, and it is full of zero gravity gameplay and “silent running.”

What silent running does is allows you to turn audio cues off, providing “a stealth advantage while sacrificing radar, HUD, and maneuverability.”

Unfortunately, the $19.99 title may put some off because it requires DirectX 10, a DirectX 10 compatible video card, and Windows Vista or Windows 7 with no support for Windows XP or DirectX 9.

Time to update if so.

There’s a video of it over on D’toid.

1. Yoshi

Soon as it had the idea of not supportin XP it already failed
    How do they expect to make money from it when most gamers still have XP becos Vista sucks balls and 7 isnt the best either

2. satsugai

Holy Cow I didn’t know this was going to be out so soon, and yeah I agree Yoshi I’m still on XP. =[

3. Soong

Actually Yoshi, if you actually knew what you were talking about then you would know that 7 *is* the best. Well, better than XP (and therefore Vista) at least.
    I get what you’re saying though, Vista does suck and not many are on 7 yet so most users are probably on XP.

4. Psychotext

Gamers are moving to Windows 7 in droves at this point (check when the next Steam survey is released)… so I wouldn’t entirely write it off yet.

Of course, that’s ignoring the fact that this is a game from a benchmarking software writer.

5. SunKing

Just bought and installed Windows 7. I like it, but don’t ask me any questions about “permissions”. I have absolutely no idea what’s going on there.

6. ecu

I love the look of this game, it’s a shame it’s multiplayer only. I’d definitely play a single player game of this, but I have no interest in playing it online.

7. Jadeskye

Theres never been a better time to move on from XP. This game is a great example of why we should be doing so.

8. Alexander Norris

40% of Steam users who took part in the hardware survey have DX10-capable OSes. Excluding XP is ballsy, but it’s not exactly going to doom them to failure (and Futuremark isn’t exactly poor or small).

9. Bulk Slash

I’ve been using Windows 7 for a while now and it’s basically Vista but a little bit faster and with a new taskbar. If all you do on your PC is word processing, email and web surfing Windows 7 is a waste of money as it’s still a bit slower than XP. If you’re a gamer and want to be able to use DX10 and 11 then it’s definitely worth considering Windows 7.

That said, there’s no real reason DX10 and 11 couldn’t be written to work with XP, as proven by the hacked versions of DX10 available that can be installed on XP. It’s just Microsoft’s way of trying to get people to upgrade.

10. blackdreamhunk

I’m buying the game today, I ‘m using vista with my computer I will be upgrading very soon. I was hoping to hold off until Intel’s Larrabee graphics cards were released so I can play project offset. However my pc is packed with programs.

I have so meny games and other programs on my it’s full. I may need to get a new pc very soon.

hopefully the game will hardcore cutting edge :)

yea some pc gamers say windows 7 runs faster. So I kinda of want to buy windows 7

11. freedoms_stain

@9, DX10 never ran on XP properly and the people who were attempting to make it do so have since abandoned the project.

I think that DirectX is a prime reason why Windows should be abandoned as the gaming platform of choice for PC.

That said, as long as Windows IS the platform of choice you can’t expect devs to support legacy tech forever, and DX9 has probably enjoyed a longer run than any previous DX iteration. It blows that MS have required expensive OS upgrades, but that’s the way the shit rolls.

12. Psychotext

EG have reviewed this now: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/shattered-horizon-review

6/10