Halloween: Game inspired pumpkins are awesome

Saturday, 31st October 2009 17:00 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

halloweenpumpkin

Jack-o-lanterns with a gaming spin popped up over on Joystiq and Kotaku – and surely elsewhere – over the past few days, and since today is Halloween, we thought we’d give you links to pictures of what your gaming brethren created.

Our favorites so far have to be the Borderlands pumpkin over on Joystiq, and one of Pitfall over on Kotaku.

Nice to see such creativity. We’re already planning ours for next year.

Go have a look through the links.

1. Psychotext

Wow. I don’t even have a pumpkin this year. :(

2. Stephany Nunneley

This was the first year I tried something different other than the standard triangle eyes, nose and toothy grin. Might get the dremel tool out next year and go nuts.

3. Dralen

How the F do you do that?

4. Stephany Nunneley

I don’t know how this particular one (pictured above) was accomplished, but you can print out a picture. Tape it to your pumpkin, and use this small tool with a plastic wheel to trace the lines of the picture, which puts intentions in the skin.

Then, you go over the pattern (within the lines) with your dremel tool, or instead, cut along those lines with a small knife or crafting saw to cut out the areas.

In the instance of the picture above, they’ve filed the skin off with (I think) a dremel, which will still give you luminescence when you put a candle in.

5. Psychotext

I usually do some fairly intricate stuff… but for some reason my father didn’t grow any pumpkins this year and none of the local supermarkets have any of a decent size.

To do what you see above you basically (ha!) just need to spend ages carving to various depths (rather than the old 3 cut holes method). :)

6. Stephany Nunneley

That’s when a dremel comes in handy! Don’t wear yourself out as much that way. It works well on dog claws too and other household chores and has loads of different heads and bits for it. I am not only a member of the dremel fan club but also a client :-D

7. Psychotext

I only have the old fashioned corded style dremel so mine’s possibly not as useful as it could be.

Also, you should work for them. :P