Modern Warfare 2 video shows innocent casualties

Tuesday, 27th October 2009 16:57 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

modernwarfare26

A video for Modern Warfare 2 has surfaced on the internet showing a player mowing down what appears to be innocent bystanders at an airport.

Apparently, this is video taken from a gamer in France. We have it posted for you below the break – it is a bit of a spoiler so don’t watch if you don’t want to.

We’re unsure as to what the actual context of what is being depicted is, but we’ll shoot (no pun intended) a mail off to Infinity Ward for comment to see if it can be clarified.

Don’t go all Fox News just yet until we hear back.

Via Eurogamer forums.

1. Yoshi

OH MY GOD THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!

2. G1GAHURTZ

I started to, but then stopped…

Gotta stay spoiler free. Only 2 weeks left.

3. Gekidami

Its the games first level, you play as the terrorists.

4. Syrok

Maybe you play as terrorists. Wouldn’t make it much more acceptable but at least you are not killing them without a reason.

Edit: Aha, there you go then. :)

5. Yoshi

Lmao just watched it… they are guna get so much shit for this now XD

6. Dralen

That was fucked up! Not even GTA was that sick.

7. The Hindle

Massive spoilers lol put spoiler in the headline if youre gonna post articles like this please :)

8. Stephany Nunneley

I thought that myself, Gek, the whole “play as the terrorist” bit. But I can’t put my musings in there because it’s just that. A musing since I have not played it a bit. I sent a mail off anyway just in case, because you know how “extreme” outlets are – murder simulator, glorifies killing innocent people, slaughter fest, etc. Basically CNN, FOX, Weekly World News, etc.

9. Bikki

This frenchmen is spoiling everything.

10. Johnny Cullen

Jack Thompson is going to have a fucking field day.

11. Gekidami

I’ve seen the guy who has the game confirm it on french forums, it is the first level. He also says that at the end of the game a nuke goes off in Washington and Soap and the guy you play as dies trying to disarm it…

12. Psychotext

That’s pretty hardcore… not sure how I feel about it.

13. Mike

It’s a bit strong, yep. I suppose you don’t have to pull he trigger, but still. Doesn’t sit too well and I love shooting people in the face.

14. Johnny Cullen

Aww come on, Gek! Did you really have to spoil the end? I hope your fucking kidding.

15. Gekidami

Nope, its totally true.

Price put the bomb there because he finds out Soap is sleeping with his wife. :D

Actually no, none of that is true. Apart from the bit about you playing as a terrorist he really did confirm that.

16. The Hindle

Seriously GEK i hope youre making that up, people who spoil things are the lowest of the low lol

17. Dralen

I just watched it again and its just sooo brutal. You see people crawling away and people trying to help people get away and you just shoot them. This needs a higher rating than 18 lol. I Haven’t seen anything this graphic in a game ever. It’s like watching the first scene in Saving Private Ryan.

18. Gekidami

Yes i made it up, my only regret is that i didnt work in a Rick Roll some how. :D

On a serious note though i heard about this play as a terrorist thing yesterday, i thought of posting about it but decided that it would be nothing more then a spoiler… Clearly VG247 has less respect towards gamers then me :D

19. TastyAcidMilkk

i couldnt belive that when i saw it

20. mescalineeyes

wow. this … I am speechless.
    artistic statement, yes. super gross, yes.

21. Gekidami

22. Mike

I think the cartoony gameplay style and humour of GTA dampens the blow somewhat.

I’m surprised you think there’s no difference.

23. Gekidami

GTAIV pretty much moved into the realms of serious realism (with only a few exceptions). Though i dont think theres no difference, just that its perfectly in context; You play as a villain who happens to do villainous things.
    Hats off to IW for having balls imo.

24. Mike

Not saying they’re doing anything “wrong,” just saying it’s incredibly strong and they’ll probably be some kind of shitstorm.

25. Goliath

Fuck you Gekidami and fuck me for reading the God damned comments. Will not be back here again before this game is released.

26. Mike

He made it up. That’s not what happens.

27. Gekidami

Or did i?!!!

…Actually i did.

28. Armitage

That’s pretty sick. Not my thing at all. Might pass on this, thanks.

29. Fnerk

That’s going to be fun on Veteran.

30. Santa Clause

“Why are people shocked by this? I mean you play as a terrorist and as it turns out terrorists arnt exactly nice. Surely its no worst then GTA where you play as an everyday joe (in some of them) and gun down innocent people.”

I don’t think shocked is the right word. Surprised, more precisely. It’s a brave and certainly unique move from an immersive perspective to force players to control the other side.

That’s going to be a rather disconcerting experience. Kudos to Infinity Ward; they’ve always been good at this sort of thing.

31. inwill12

come on guys it’s just a game it’s not like u r really killing those ppl…kill nd have fun lol :)

32. mescalineeyes

I am so glad I am not such a fucking simpleton as you, inwill12.

33. Dralen

I know I said all that stuff about how sick and brutal that scene in the game is, but it just makes me excited and I can’t wait to get my hands on this on November 10th.

34. inwill12

Im not a simpleton..you are a simpleton coz you actually think that video games are real. Guess what they’re not real so u don’t have to get all sensitive about killing computer generated little tiny people lol…maybe i think like this because making video games is my job

35. mescalineeyes

While the game is not real, the events it is depicting are mimicking reality.

36. absolutezero

I love the idea of letting you see what its like being the people you’ll be shooting for the rest of the game.

I hate the fact that its an over the top make them as evil as possible piss-take though.

Although starting the game this way may very well lessen the impact of the torture scene later on, the one from the trailers, if this is what the bads are capable of its perfectly fine to go Bauer and pull out finger-nails.

“maybe i think like this because making video games is my job”

I hope to God thats a lie.

37. Gekidami

Hey, anyone want me to translate whats being said in the briefing? It’ll have some of you punching holes in your screens i’m sure. :D

38. inwill12

No the events are not mimicking reality. even if it is this game is 18+ so any normal adult can accept the fact that this game has violence and violence that you won’t be shocked or surprised or whatsoever about it…if it did have content like that it would be Ao.

39. Santa Clause

Go for it Geki, but please do try to resist sharing too many spoilers.

40. Gekidami

The whole briefing is sort of a spoiler so i’d rather not. Even if it might be something you learn early in the game.

Just looking at the picture is sort of a spoiler already, i couldnt even point out in my own words why without bothering some people.

41. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Vids been pulled. What’d i miss?

42. Monk

oh no, the video has been removed.

43. G1GAHURTZ

Good!

44. Armitage

Quality is poor though.

45. Gekidami

Thats the full mission btw, spoilers for sure.

46. ChinqMiau

I was just a boy when I sat down
    To watch the news on TV
    I saw some ordinary slaughter
    I saw some routine atrocity
    My father said, don’t look away
    You got to be strong, you got to be bold, now
    He said, that in the end it is beauty
    That is going to save the world, now

47. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Armitage’s link’s been pulled as well. Interesting…

48. Armitage

:P

49. pracer

I will not be buying this. Period. In fact I don’t think this game will reach that 14 million people were claiming. At this point once word gets out, I see Walmart droping it. Good luck Acti.

50. Moonwalker1982

It’s so stupid how so many people seem to go crazy about this.(especially the Destructoid comments. I bet you do all these things in GTA IV as well, i know i do. I kill cops and anyone walking around whenever i feel like it. And i don’t think anything of it, why? Because it’s just a goddamn game people.

On the destructoid link they are talking about kids.
    Please let’s not start about children playing this, cause really….they should NOT be playing this game in the first place, ok?

Big kudos to IW actually, for finally letting the player to be the badguy in a game, especialy Call of Duty. However, i do find that this part in the game is rather exeggerated. I haven’t seen something like this on the news, where terrorists just start shooting at everybody. Most of the time they just hold people hostage or blow a building up but not like this. But then again, it’s a game and anything can happen.

Oh and wait,CIA? So basically you still are the ‘good guy’ but you are undercover and walking along with those ‘terrorists’ ? Basically it’s just them shooting everybody up in the place. And the player gets the CHOICE to shoot or simply do nothing? For real…why do people make a big deal out of this?

I checked it again, you can clearly see CIA. So basically you are from the CIA, working undercover. At the end of the video he tries to get in the van, but gets shot. We then see the SWAT guys rushing to the player, only to find out he died, he was one of them. It’s because of this, that it’s gonna be accepted. You don’t even play as a terrorist, WHY are people going wild over this? Sigh.

51. pracer

For the record I don’t play GTA either.

52. Patrick Garratt

Just watched a bit of this, as I don’t want it too spoiled. I think the reaction to it’s very interesting. I’ve contacted Activision.

53. pracer

I agree about the spoiler concerns, however I also think that people should have an idea of what to expect from the game. Based on what i have seen, this could be a powder cage just waiting for the spark to come along. Also, imo, this is NOT something the game industry needed. This has bad press written all over it. And in the end …why? Why even do it? Taking it out, or handling it in a different way wouldn’t have impacted the story, the integurty, or the quality of the game. Leaving it in there, sure as heck will. Prolly will impact sales too.

54. Gekidami

Brilliant deduction Moonwalker. About the CIA part i mean.

55. pracer

@MoonWalker

“However, i do find that this part in the game is rather exeggerated. I haven’t seen something like this on the news, where terrorists just start shooting at everybody. Most of the time they just hold people hostage or blow a building up but not like this.”

Right because 9/11 was just about a couple of buildings.

56. deftangel

The context to this part of the game is quite crucial and hopefully won’t be overlooked if it blows up in the mainstream media.

It’s totally spoiler-ish though which is why they likely haven’t said anything.

57. Patrick Garratt

Got a statement. See top of site.