Assassin’s Creed III could be set in feudal Japan, medieval Europe

Tuesday, 27th October 2009 16:36 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

asscreed2

Ubisoft’s Philippe Bergeron has told German television show PLAY’D that the firm is currently looking into settings for the third installment of Assassin’s Creed.

Two that were mentioned were feudal Japan and medieval Europe.

“There are two things that come to mind – there is medieval Europe, which would be very interesting trying to play a King Arthur story line,” he said. “Another one that is a personal favorite of a lot of people on the floor is feudal Japan, which is something that would be very interesting just culturally to discover and I think also to make players discover as well.”

Ubisoft has also discussed the possibility of Assassin’s Creed III being set during World War II with a female assassin, however, Ubi’s Montreal CEO Yannis Mallat has said that the next setting is already set in stone and in planning.

The second installment is not even out yet. Seriously. Get it out first, please.

Thanks, D’toid.

1. The Hindle

Anyone thinking AC 2 is going to be a gd game cause i was soo dissapointed with the first

2. ybfelix

French Revolution! That’s the perfect setting, I’m frustrated that no one from Ubi ever mentioned it. Is French Revolution still a sensitive topic in France?

3. Syrok

Uhm, they celebrate the storming of the Bastille every year, so I doubt it ever was a sensitive topic. :)
    Besides AC is made in Canada.

4. Patrick Garratt

Hindle – It is good. Promise. I didn’t play the first one, but the second one really does appear to be awesome.

5. mescalineeyes

What Patrick said.

Seeing it in person for the first time made my jaw drop so hard.

6. The Hindle

Hmm will give the franchise a second chance then, if it dissapoints me this time ill whack the development team over the head with something lol

7. Gheritt White

Somebody else who agrees with me that the French Revolution would make for the best next instalment! It fits the game so perfectly both stylistically and thematically.

That said, feudal Japan does sound like it has lots of potential, especially what with the Yonaguni Monmument feeding nicely into established lore.

8. CroMagnon

I reckon 19th century Austro-Hungarian Empire would be awesome…Think about it, AC games always feature 3 cities plus countryside. (Yes, I know, “always” might be stretching it a bit)

So: Prague, Vienna and Budapest…intrigue at court…enough crazy fencing to keep the focus on melee combat…guns are starting to get accurate…natural progression of a few hundred years between games…

Not to mention if you pre-order, you can get the limited edition lederhosen armour.

9. freedoms_stain

They didn’t need assassins in the French Revolution, everyone was dragged outside and guillotined in public or stood up against the wall in front of a firing squad.

10. Dr.Ghettoblaster

I still think AC3 should take place in the future (or modern day for Desmond Miles). THAT could be a kick ass sequel setting for level design and story elements.

11. Gheritt White

A near future AC is a great idea for a concluding part, but I wouldn’t want it too soon! I’d rather they save that for AC4 or AC5.

12. OrbitMonkey

I like the idea of the 3rd being set during the American war of independance. Templers versus the founding fathers and all that, the mystery of that eye pyramid symbol on the dollar bill revealed! Plus lots of English villains (We’re the best bad guys, just ask Hollywood)

13. asphaltcowboy

Feudal Japan eh? Popular idea on the floor, eh? And will the developers be taking trips out to Japan to gather “reference”? ;)