Insomniac: Resistance 2 fan feedback “was like your dog turned on you”

Monday, 26th October 2009 08:38 GMT By Johnny Cullen

resistance21b

Speaking in an interview with Videogamer, Insomniac communinty manager James Stevenson has said that fan feedback with Resistance 2 “was like your dog turned on you.”

The game was released at the end of November last year, even recieving a 87 from Metacritic. But despite that, Stevenson admits it was a “failure” on the fans part.

“The hardcore fans of Resistance 1 were maybe a little bit disappointed. Those folks consistently expressing that – especially GAF, it was like your dog turned on you.

“That’s the feeling of it. You had this dog that loved you. You loved the dog, too, but they expressed all this affection for you. And then suddenly the dog bites your hand and it’s that feeling of, ooh, ow, that really hurts.

The critics loved Resistance 2. Some people didn’t like it, but for the most part… And the Metacritic’s higher than Resistance 1. So we got better reviews than Resistance 1, but the overall opinion of it is that it was a failure by fans, that Resistance 2 was a failure, because maybe the expectations were so high for it,” said Stevenson.

Well then, fan service all the way for Resistance 3, then.

1. Razor

Resistance games are horribly bland…I want vibrant and rich colours for R3.

Like that’s gonna happen.

2. Johnny Cullen

Guess I am the only one who liked R2 over R1? :(

3. mescalineeyes

vibrant and rich colours for R3

that’s what Halo is for. Resistance is supposed to be drab… which Resistance 2 wasn’t. At least not enough.

4. Redh3lix

Resistance 2 was my first experience of the series and I thought it was absolutely superb. Fast, fluid gameplay with great graphics. Unfortunately I traded mine in as I was desparate to play Killzone 2 (which is closer to my style of FPS).

5. Robo_1

I’ll never understand the amount of venom which was spit at R2. It was a little rougher than it should have been, and it was clear that Insomniac had spread themselves too thinly, but overall it was a solid FPS, with a great multiplayer component.

6. DrDamn

I enjoyed Resistance 2 a lot. It was also pretty vibrant and rich compared to the majority of shooters. What Resistance 1 had over it was the way the story was told in the first was really nicely done – just stills with a voice over but it worked very nicely. The other element a lot of people missed was the campaign co-op. The story ending of Resistance 2 was great though :).

7. mescalineeyes

they should patch the weapon wheel back into R2, that would make it almost as good as R1, but something did go missing. atmosphere, mainly.

8. mojo

r2 was spit at?
    i found it a solid fps (like r1), graphic-wise nothing to good but ok, multiplayer was exciting for some time.
    i find r2 quite harder then r1.

dr damn: i also quite liked the female voiceover in r1.
    it somehow (just the voice itself) reminds me of the animatrix.

9. Gekidami

I have to say i’m one of those ‘bitty dog-fans’ R2 fell way to short.

10. Quiiick

Resistance 2 should have never moved to US soil.
    UK was the perfect ambiente in Resistance 1. Also the story was way better in the first iteration.

11. woodyrulesok

I preferred R2 to R1 in every way.

12. Scyrenn

Insomniac to fans:

“You’re all bitches.”

“You’re supposed to start drooling when we ring the bell, dammit.”

Etc. :p

13. pracer

I think for so long PS3 fans wanted Res to be a Halo Killer. It just isn’t. Plus not like Res is the only good FPS out there, the CoD games fill those shoes. Plus as far as FPS core fans go, maybe you noticed, but a lot of those guys own both the PS3 and xb360. Res games are good game, not worthy of 87 meta, but good games. unfortunatly they aren’t good enough when stacked up against the competetion. From Battlefield, CoDs, Halo3/odst, to even competetion from Gears, Killzone, and I believe Fallout. I just think in a larger pool of games, res doesn’t stand out enough. I doubt res3 will do much better. I think the key element that so many ps3 only games lack is solid online. Compare the ease, flow and match making of Halo vs Res?
    When I say LIVE vx PSN this is one of the examples I am talking about. PSN is often a mess I played some wearhawk this weekend, love the gameplay but what a mess trying to sort out the filters to find a game. I also have been playing Fat Princess like mad(best downloadable game this year imo), but frequent disconects, players droping in and out(prolly same problem) and almost no one can host a 32player game, and there aren’t even servers/games to search through. Just feels messy and last gen. Not even last gen LIVE was still better last gen.
    Ranting aside(sry i got frustrated on PSN this weekend), I think res games sufer from poorly implemented online. And UNLESS the devs focus on that end of it, res3 will under sell as well. More PS3 games need to have more of a handle on online play.

14. woodyrulesok

For me the online of Res2 was great, just hit ‘play’ get a random game.
    No problems at all and it’s just what I would have wanted from it.

15. Santa Clause

They were both terrible.

Though you can pretty much guarantee that 90% of the complaints that they received was nothing more than typical fanboyish prattling.

It’s the internet. What do they expect? Maturity and common sense?

16. theevilaires