Stardock’s Brad Wardell: “If GFW takes over, I’m done”

Saturday, 3rd October 2009 21:30 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

demigod

Stardock’s Brad Wardell has lashed out at Games For Windows Live, and says that if the service decides to “screw things up”, he refuses to make more PC games.

Speaking with Shacknews, Wardell discussed how he started off as a “big Games for Windows Live advocate,” and wishes that “Microsoft would do a lot more in making the PC better as a gaming platform.”

“I intended for Elemental to be on Games for Windows Live, but then as we got closer, the Xbox group took it over more and more,” said Wardell. “And they have things where, oh, if you want to use Games for Windows Live to update your game, you have to go through [their] certification. And if you do it more than X number of times, you have to pay money. It’s like, ‘My friends, you can’t do that on the PC.’

“On the console, I don’t have to update my game because an anti-virus program got an update and is now identifying my VB scripts as viruses and I have to apply an emergency patch. That would just add insult to injury. We’ve had to upgrade our games plenty of times over the years, not because we found some bug, but because some third-party program, or driver, or whatever screwed it up.

“If Games for Windows Live maintains that strategy and they take over, I’m done. I’m not making PC games. I would be done.”

More through the link.

Thanks, Maximum PC.

1. Hunam

I didn’t know GFWL had certification and stuff for the patches? That’s just backwards. Another nail in the coffin for the service really. Backwards multiplayer components, awkward software in game, terrible marketplace software, poor compatibility causing crashes and locking people out from their games/saving and now it’s being abrasive to developers. I’d rather them do those horrid steam installs like Empire and DoW2 than deal with GFWL shit tbh.

2. rainer

GFWL aside isn’t certification like a good thing meant to stop lazy developers ship now and patch later mentality – oh yeah that Stardocks playbook.

No surprise a republican neocon like Wardell would be ranting given the way his business operates – note not defending GFWL MS screwed that up from the start and cut any support from it – theres probably like 2 guys still working on it at MS.

3. Aimless

Patching is an undeniable reality of PC gaming so I don’t think certification is that beneficial for a platform that’s so unstandardised. Valve play test all their games even during the early stages of development, but that doesn’t stop them having to address issues via patches after launch. A lot of problems, particularly those tied to certain combinations of hardware, simply aren’t going to be noticed until the game is out there in the public’s hands.

GFLW was an interesting idea implemented in the worst, most half-arsed way possible. And I don’t think it’s particularly inaccurate to refer to it in the past tense.

4. blackdreamhunk

yes we all know microsoft hates pc gaming and pc gamers. By the way I don’t agre with him on the virous part. consoles are like computers. They use programs like computers do. This means console can get a virous, as long as they are the net. hackers can games they can also send virous to consoles.

by the way vg247 this old news like 4 days old.

5. Psychotext

Sounds like the work of Satin to me.

6. Phoenixblight

Yeah that is why EA is avoiding the whole GFW. Its just MS form of controlling the market more then one way and making a profit off of it. And consumers think me want “GFW” It makes my achievements larger, not knowing the actual problems with it for the devs.

7. Plainview

Satin is evil & shiny

8. freedoms_stain

I don’t think GFWL was ever aimed at PC gamers, I see it more as “insurance” for MS should the console business get too pricey to sustain even with the deep coffers of MS, at which point they can market the shit out of GFWL to Xbox players who’ll lap up being able to keep their gamerscore etc. Probably won’t mind the shit software either.

Windows, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Business, Ultimate and new entry coming 2015: XBOX edition.