Turbine confirms console MMO in the works for PS3 and 360

Friday, 18th September 2009 20:55 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

turbinelogo

Turbine’s Craig Alexander confirmed during his keynote at GDC Austin that the firm is currently at work on a console MMO.

The VP of project development revealed that it has been in-house for a year and a half and the staff is working to release it on PS3 and Xbox 360.

There are also plans to develop one for Wii in the future.

So far, over 20 million dollars has been spent on the title, and while still mum on what exactly it entails, the targeted release date is early 2011.

During his speech, Alexander stated his opinion on console MMOs, and went so far as to claim PC versions of the genre will be surpassed by the console versions.

Thanks, Massively.

1. BULArmy

WoW say:Hello
    This will never happen the MMOs are for the PC. And because of the console limitations this MMO will be totally unsalable on the PC. If thay really think that then they are really morons. And I tought Turbine are good company but today they lost all credibility.

2. Phoenixblight

Uh no. FFXI has done really well and that is a cross platform. If MS would get off its ass Champions Online would be cross platform. ANd I believe it was announced that Free Realms will be released for PS3. Times are changing.ANd DCU will be cross platform. MMOs are not exclusive to PCs. You need to come out of your cave once and awhile.

3. pracer

I played, and enjoyed, even loved EverQuest Online Adventures on the PS2. I played the hell out of Phantasy Star Online(for DC, GC, XB, AND PC). I have spent considerable time on PSU. Sure I played WoW(what MMORPG fan hasn’t? – I have my stable of lvl 80s), But MMOs limited to PC? lol, fool. I love my PC, but I hate upgrading it. I hate that it set me back so damn much when I got it. I also hate that so many of my friends and family don’t have and can’t afford to get a decent PC that is capable of play a decent MMO. Yet those same friends own older PCs and Xb360s. I am the only one of my real life friends/family I know of that owns a PS3.
    Wait for it – Diablo3 on XB360. Only way this doesn’t happen is if ActiBlizz hates money. I am greatly GREATLY looking forward to Turbines MMO on a console. One last thing – because I have played so much WoW, I have come to hate the game. We had two pcs,, two accounts, and my wife and kids would play online with me – was great fun once upon a time. But the frequent class resest(kind of like playing a shell game – which class has the power this patch?), the almost criminal lack of new races and class, the complete disregaurd for leveling(DKs starting at 55 = joke), and much more = the game has degrading itself into a grindfest for gear(its Halo with magic pvp or dungeon rat raiding). Honestly I am done, been done for awhile – if someone wants to come along as offer me a console MMO that isn’t WoW – I am all for it.

4. DarkElfa

Jesus, this kind of news release just makes me want to kick a mud hole in the ass of development companies. They could have at least given a name or the genre of the game they’re making or even a stray hint at the direction they’re aiming. “Making an MMO” just isn’t good enough for them to release it to the news hounds. Typically vague entertainment industry info.

5. blackdreamhunk

mmo’s on consoles are going to be an epic flop.

6. endgame

this is indeed very funny. coming from someone who worked in the industry for so long. u know, it’s one thing to say something so u can get more sales and another thing to say something that will u make u look like a fool out of yourself. gg mr. alexander.