Koller: BC on PS3 “wont be returning”

Thursday, 20th August 2009 11:32 GMT By Johnny Cullen

ps36

Sony Computer Entertainment America’s John Koller has told Ars that backwards compatibility on the PS3 won’t be making a return anytime soon, be that with a new hardware SKU or in a firmware update.

Ever.

“It’s not coming back, so let me put that on the table,” said Koller.

“It’s not as big as a purchase intent driver as you may be hearing. We’ve got such a substantial lineup of titles on the PS3; most people are buying the PS3 for PS3 games. They’ve buying it for PS3 games and Blu-ray movies.

That won’t be returning.”

Consider that one put to bed.

Go though the link for more.

Thanks, spikeymike.

1. Blerk

A shame, but ultimately it’s too late in the day for it to matter anyway. I think BC is less important than many people think it is, especially once you’ve made it past a machine’s “difficult first year”.

2. rainer

Not surprising theres no way they could ever do it through software alone the hardware from PS2 to PS3 is simply too different.

The only managed it by sticking in the PS2 CPU & graphics chip in the first place which meant a more expensive to make PS3 for games most people will have already bought for the PS2 for which Sony got your money already.

3. Dralen

Well at least my PS3 is BC, and still humming nicely.

4. Psychotext

What happens if you remove part of the DNA from something? Because apparently BC is part of the PlayStation DNA.

;)

5. theevilaires

should have bought it when it was $600 now stop bitching, you wanted a cheaper system now you got it.

Before I play GoW3 i’ll play GoW2 over again upscaled nicely on my 40′ 1080p set :)

6. Psychotext

I looked it up. Apparently DNA damage causes cancer. That’s not good.

7. Retroid

I have a 42″ set ^________^

But they’d love to flog PS2 games over PSN, we all know that. I reckon they’d do that in a second if they could for specific games, but aye, actual disk-based PS2 BC may well be dead.

8. Cort

And that’s about as conclusive a statement as you’ll get from an industry type.

I have a 60GB and when I bought it I expected to be using that BC a lot. I’ve played one PS2 game a total of 10 minutes.

9. freedoms_stain

That’s a bit shitty, particularly as PS2 emulation on PC is still ultra-shitty.

10. Robo_1

Bugger, looks like I’ll be clinging on to my 60gb then. Doubtless it will make a return at some point in the future, although my money is now on PS4. Shame really, they’re pissing away millions on selling PS2 titles via PSN.

11. SunKing

I just want to play Snake Eater on a PS3 without a PS2, goddammit! Fine, take BC out, but I’d even be happy if they started putting really prominant PS2 games – including, of course, Snake Eater – out using PSN. I don’t mind paying the extra, and it WOULD make me more inclined to buy your console. Sony, are you listening!?

12. Neolucifer

PC ps2 emulation is actually quite great and very stable , but very hardware dependent . It plays pretty much most current and recent stuff .

Anyway i feel for those that i care , i dont . or rather i no longer . From the very beginning the whole BC was doomed for me , since i can’t use import us and jap ps2 games on my pal ps3 (kudos btw to all journalists at the time , for not even noticing this at the ps3′s launch).

Anywya outcry for ps3 BC is an internet myth , like a few other things . The truth in the matter is that all current consoles with BC find their owners not even using the option . Except for a few “fanatics” like myself (i dont see anything even close in quality to the ps2′s jrpg offering , be it on ps3 or 360 , except for demon’s souls and vesperia) .

Yet oddly , you’ll see a lot of people buying old ps1 and others titles back in PSN and XBL store or virtual console . guess they might not care to use old discs at all .

I see Sony instead reselling ps2 titles on PSN retooled for ps3 … and the occasional offer , such as that rumored God of War 1 &2+God of war 3 demo blu ray disc .

13. freedoms_stain

@13, I beg to differ, Ps2 emulation on pc is still too slow even on expensive hardware

14. Neolucifer

I beg to differ too . Each game’s compatibility , how it runs and possible bugs are well detailed . There are plenty that runs more than ok . Some even going too fast depending on rigs

15. BraveArse

Spotted a slimine Ps2 in my local tescos for £30 today … might well have to nab it now and get SoTC online somewhere. I’ve been holding out for a PS2/PSN store announcement but it’s not happening :(