Bethesda: Of course there’s going to be an Elder Scrolls V – eventually

Monday, 17th August 2009 22:09 GMT By Nathan Grayson

oblivion1

Bethesda seems to think last weekend’s Elder Scrolls V comments were blown out of proportion, so the master of massively single player RPGs decided to clarify things a bit.

“At his QuakeCon talk he was asked when TESV is coming out and Todd replied, ‘Don’t look for a new Elder Scrolls game in the near future.’ He also went on to say how much the franchise means to us and that it definitely will continue. He just wasn’t going to provide any timeframe on ‘when,’ wrote Pete Hines on the Bethesda Blog.

“Todd and Bethesda Game Studios are hard at work on their next big game, and we’re not ready to discuss it. As always, we prefer to have something amazing to show when we talk about it. We aren’t going to confirm or deny or comment on speculation, nor are we going to give hints about anything. If you know us by now, you know we don’t really do that.”

He also noted that ZeniMax Online Studios — not Bethesda — is hard at work on an MMO, though when the big game will be ready for its big day is anyone’s guess.

So, that’s it for today’s Bethesda news. If you’d like to know anything else about the company, just leave a misinterpreted, hyperbole-packed message at the sound of the beep.

1. No_PUDding

Used up my hyperbole today, and when it’s asked of me, I am a little drained.

Also… Fuck them. Seriously. The IP means a lot to you becuase it fuckign earns you money you pig-dogs. You don’t actually care.

/throws Elder-Scrolls-fan-shaped firebomb

2. wz

I’m with you, PUD. So, if you are serious about changing the meaning of “BS” back to BethSoft, here is the plan:

1) Get Michael Kirkbride back. You know that he is the reason TES has the best original lore.
    2) Get designers that love what they are doing. Remember when you set a few of the Redguard maps on fire in your backyard? That was the time when you conceived your last lovechild, Morrowind.

Do it. You know we will love you again.

3. fearmonkey

My guess is whats happening is that they are taking the time to build on their next tech increase, like what they did for Morrowind to Oblivion. MW came out in 2001, they started working on Oblivion when it shipped, and it took 4-5 years untill Oblivion came out in 2006.

They built Oblivion and Fallout 3 on this same tech, and with Fallout:New Vegas coming out in 2010-2011, plus all the other titles they have suddenly started publishing like rogue Warrior, Wet, and Splash Damage’s title, they are set to wait a quite awhile before releasing the next big thing.

4. No_PUDding

Oh man, MK was legendary. He was such a nice guy too, and an extremely talented artist.

I still have the PGE, and jesus christ, it’s so inspiring.

5. fearmonkey

MK is great for the lore, he helped with Oblivion too.
    However, This love of Morrowind, hatred of Oblivion I just dont get…

6. No_PUDding

He did not help on Oblivion.

He helped on two expansions.

7. wz

Oblivion is a great game. Morrowind is just so much better. We are upset that the TES series, after what feels like 3 minutes of a great ride, climaxed prematurely.
    It’s too feminine an experience for me.

8. fearmonkey

Actually no pudding, he helped with writing on Oblivion. http://www.uesp.net/wiki/General:Michael_Kirkbride

@Wz, I can understand where your coming from.
    I found this link http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=10408
    Which kind of made me laugh as here was a former Bethesda designer trashing Morrowind. It shows that people love the series so much, they can stand it when its not what they were expecting. lets hope ther next one gets it better.

9. El_MUERkO

Fallout 3 > Oblivion x 10000000000INFINITY10000000000

10. joseangelhe

And henceforth I do my celebratory Mexican hat happy dance!!!

*throws hat on the floor*