GRIN confirms its demise amidst cash flow problems

Wednesday, 12th August 2009 20:53 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

grin

GRIN founders Bo and Ulf Andersson announced today on the firm’s official website that due to cash flow issues it must close its doors.

“It is with a heavy heart we announce today that GRIN has been forced to close its doors. This, as too many publishers have been delaying their payments, causing an unbearable cashflow situation,” read the statement.

“After twelve years of hard work, employing hundreds of wonderfully talented men and women, it is over.

“It has been a great adventure and the GRIN family has experienced what few have.

“Looking back at twelve years of games, titles such as Ballistics, Bandits, GRAW 1 & 2, Bionic Commando Rearmed, Wanted: Weapons of Fate, Terminator: Salvation, Bionic Commando and our unreleased masterpiece that we weren’t allowed to finish; it has been a great ride.”

How very sad.

More through the link.

1. Patrick Garratt

Whoops.

2. Hunam

Whilst I sympathise for the employees losing their jobs, GRIN made awful games.

3. Cort

TRULY awful games. But yes, people losing jobs isn’t good even at the best of times.

4. MushroomStamp

Good Riddance.. another crappy studio bites the dust.

5. Eregol

Well, they made Bionic Commando: Rearmed, which I liked.

Other than that I couldn’t recommend anything by them.

I find comments like Good Riddance bad though, remember, in all this some people lost their jobs.

Fingers crossed they’ll get into new ones soon.

6. Michael O'Connor

Next time one of you egotistical wankers lose the jobs that you need to support your family and children, expect me to pointing and laughing straight in your direction, for getting your just deserts.

7. Cort

^^ LOL, I feel like I’ve just been called a “big fat gay” by Boy George……

8. Gekidami

Many publishers have been delaying their payments eh… Seeing as their last game was Bionic Commando are we to assume that Capcom hasnt been paying their bills? Either them or Warner Interactive… Or both :S

9. Phoenixblight

@8 thats what destroyed Midway along a few other companies in this recession. Its like a gambler with an addiction “Maybe not this one but I definately will win big the next one” Now its breaking fingers time…

10. Robo_1

Christ, some of the responses in this thread are sad to read, probably by people who haven’t even played their games.

By no means were Grin a bad studio, both Bionic Commando games were excellent, and Wanted was a competent shooter with a great hook. It just seemed they grew too quickly, and evidently they’ve had trouble with publishers not paying up what they were owed.

To the folks at Grin, I extend my best wishes for finding new employment quickly, and my thanks for many hours of great fun. Would have loved a Bionic Commando 2.

11. SunKing

Although I haven’t played Bionic Commando, I’m going to second everything Robo_1 just said. Anybody who’s played Bionic Commando: Rearmed must recognise the obvious talent that went into making it. Best of luck to the guys, really, and maybe this will be a useful – if cruel – learning experience for them.

12. Captain Fruitloop

@Gekidami

The official statement specifically thanks a couple of guys at Capcom US for their support, so presumably Capcom aren’t one of the parties that didn’t pay them.

13. Eregol

Maybe it was the guys behind Terminator Salvation or Wanted then?

Wonder if it had something to do with the whole metacritic score reward shit that a lot of people are going by these days?

14. deftangel

I don’t think any of their last three games were awful. I actually even enjoyed Wanted in parts. Bionic Commando needed some work when I saw it, but it was delayed 6 months after that so I kinda assumed it got done.

Very sad. Just highlights how high the stakes are :( Perhaps they just bit off more than they could chew shipping three games so close to each other and would have been better off shipping two instead with more polish.

15. Michael O'Connor

“Maybe it was the guys behind Terminator Salvation or Wanted then?”

Most likely Terminator Salvation. That game was clearly cut short long before completion, and I wouldn’t be surprised if funding was the cause.

Good luck to the GRIN guys in finding new jobs, and to anyone who feels the number to insult these decent people and their hard work… do us all a favour and go jump off a bridge. You’re scum.

16. Blerk

Ah, blimey. Good luck to everyone who finds themselves employment-challenged yet again. Sad times. :-(

17. endgame

and let’s not forget about ballistics. that was a f**king awesome game. wish someone put it on gog.com.