Top Cow: The Darkness sequel in development

Monday, 27th July 2009 19:18 GMT By Nathan Grayson

thedarkness1

A sequel to Starbreeze Studios’ sleeper-hit The Darkness is officially in the works, says Newsarama. The news was announced during a panel at last weekend’s Comic Con.

The tentacle-tastic mobster drama’s story will be written by Paul Jenkins.

In addition, the first installment in the Darkness franchise has gone platinum, and will soon hit the $29.99 price point on both Xbox 360 and PS3.

Granted, this sequel was basically confirmed last year during — what else — Comic Con, but the news is still exciting nonetheless.

More hot tentacle-on-mobster action? Yes please.

No release date yet. We’ll keep you posted.

1. Hunam

The new york bits were fantastic but the WW1 hell style levels were really lame.

2. Phoenixblight

The first game was interesting I liked the story, my only gripe with the first game was the gameplay it was a little off.

Will be waiting for this game…

3. Funkyd

Great news, although no more hell levels would be welcome.

4. Phoenixblight

I liked the Hell levels it was an interesting twist on things

5. Robo_1

Massive meh, really found the game quite dull. Also, big old lols at the game getting a platinum re-release, it was going for under a fiver on quite a few online retailers for a while.

6. SticKboy

Hopefully it’ll be based on the more fantastical aspects of the source material, which appeared later on the series. Mystical body armor ftw!

7. fearmonkey

Loved this game.
    I wonder if it will use Starbreezes Engine, which was perfect for it.
    I agree that the WWII levels were not as great as the main game in New york.
    Now that another favorite of mine, Max Payne, is no longer in the city, I hope they bring the darkness back to NY.
    Unless Rockstar does it, then the main char will be fat and hairy, they will use the crysis engine, and it will take place in the tropics.

8. SunKing

The gameplay just didn’t “click” for me, and I had a bit of a disliking for the main character. I think I might also be the only one not to like the Starbreeze engine; in both Riddick and The Darkness I felt like I was drunkenly stumbling around like an ape.

9. No_PUDding

Read a lot of good (this year infact) about it, thanks to Trent Polacks blog, and the Brainy Gamer blog, but I am so pissed off we need more first eprson shooters.

Someone cancel MAG, or this, or Singularity. Or make them third person, an adventure game, or a platformer respectively.

10. fearmonkey

@no_pudding. I completely agree.
    It seems the industry is FPS after FPS.
    It would be nice to have some isometric view games again, like Diablo, Crusader:no remorse, Shadowrun.