PS3 motion control is “a couple of generations” forward, says Sony

Tuesday, 21st July 2009 12:01 GMT By Mike

sonymotion1b

SCEE’s vice president of research and development, Paul Holman, has said that he believes that Sony’s motion control peripheral is a “couple of generations” ahead of of the current competition.

“Oh, totally. It’s another generation forward, or even a couple of generations,” said Holman to EG when asked how Sony’s motion tech stood up against the Wii-mote.

“I know in certain games or applications which are out there, people had to sort of fluff it to make it real for consumers. But this stuff is super-accurate and the impact of that is incredible.

“I think you have to play with it to realise what it will do to games.”

Holman goes on to say that the 2010 release date was given to let consumers know that “it’s real, how it’s real.

“Game developers want to know, if they’re working on a title for next year, whether they should consider it or not.

“We have to send some sort of message,” explain Holman. “At the end of the day, we know the track we’re taking for our technology, we know when we’re going to manufacture, but we have to make sure there’s a good catalogue of games to back it up.”

Full interview through the link.

1. Hero of Canton

“We have to send some sort of message,”

Hmmmmm. Sounds to me like ‘Spring 2010′ was very optimistic.

2. Razor

Hmmm….

3. Psychotext

I’d hope that game developers are already working with it or I doubt we’ll see many titles next year.

4. SticKboy

I am super-excited to see what videogame companies do with this tech. This could very well end up being my reason to purchase a PS3 – *so long as* they bundle it in with the console. They’d be idiots not to, quite frankly.

5. Blerk

I really couldn’t care less what Sony or Microsoft do with their respective techs at the minute. Show me something that’s actually interesting and I might change my mind.

6. Tilmen

Sony is retarded…definitly

7. Gadzooks!

When will Sony learn to stop spouting this kind of bullshit? They keep touting their products as ‘a leap ahead’ of everyone else and end up having to eat those words because they constantly over-promise and under-deliver.

8. haliotis81

A couple generations, PS3 will be No.1 console!!!!!!!!!! hahahaha

9. DrDamn

@Tilmen
    Oh the irony.

10. humanfish

@DrDamn
    lmao. Too true

11. McLovin85

I really couldn’t care less about motion control for all consoles. When i play games i want to relax and be a lazy shit on my sofa. That’s why i slowly went off PC gaming as i preferred the couch to having to sit on a chair (i know petty). Anyway, if they start creating compulsory ‘motion controls’ for sports games or shooters i’m probably gonna go back to PC gaming (assuming bloody Natal doesn’t ruin that too).

12. ianbenoir

Presuming both microsoft and sony technology works fine..
    i see a lot of wii users moving to natal, because of the impact of the tecnology, but i don’t see many moving to PS3. I have to say that for me Wii is a last gen console with a current gen controller. That’s all.

I’m a sony fan btw. And what makes me mad is that i’ll have to buy at least 2 new wand controller and also an eyetoy, so then i can buy some game to play… hmm..
    Can i buy a Xbox360 bundle with natal for the same price???
    FAIL!

13. Cort

Gadzooks, you’re right. Next they’ll update their UI and call it the biggest thing to happen on the internet EVER.

14. fearmonkey

Sony better have their act together here. MS is saying Natal is like another launch, which means they intend to have multiple titles ready when Natal hits shelves.
    If sony has awesome tech, but a few games comparibly, its going to hurt it.
    Unless they can pull of a magical Nintendo Mario 64 like moment, but I doubt that will be the case.

15. DrDamn

@fearmonkey
    I think MS also better have their act together. They do have some very impressive tech, but no history of doing anything decent or innovative in the casual arena they are targeting. It won’t matter if you have multiple titles if they are all like “You’re in the Movies”. What did they actually show properly at E3 that had promise as a game?