Analyst expects two more DLC packages for GTA IV during fiscal 2010

Thursday, 2nd July 2009 19:28 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

gtaivtlad3

Todd Mitchell, analyst for Kaufman Bros. Equity Research, expects Take-Two and Rockstar to release two new episodes for Grand Theft Auto IV in fiscal 2010, GTA V in fiscal 2011, and a new GTA title for PS2 next year.

“I would expect that there would be two more pieces of downloadable content for GTA IV, that’s what has been indicated to me, although formats are unsure,” Mitchell told GI.biz. “It’s been indicated to me that would be the case.

“Coming out of E3 there was no commitment to a new Grand Theft Auto, and I think that’s because of Rockstar’s track record with delivering on time.

“Of the three, I’m least confident in saying for sure there will be a new GTA for PlayStation 2, but the track record shows that PSP titles have been repositioned [on PS2][Chinatown Wars for the PSP].”

Agent will be released in 2010, along with an unannounced title from 2K Games which along with BioShock 2 and Red Dead Redemption, Mitchell says Take-Two is now becoming a “proper company rather than a one hit wonder.”

More through the link.

1. Razor

A GTA for PS2 based around the San Andreas engine would have me sold.

Agent in 2010? Really? Perhaps they’ve been working on this for longer than we thought; that, or it’s a rush job and it’s really crap.

2. Johnny Cullen

I wonder if Pat’s heard anything since the E3 article where he claimed Agent wasnt gonna be a PS3 exclusive after all.

3. Armitage

GTA IV DLC sounds great and all, and as a PS3 owner it’s one of the things I’d really like on the system, but I’d prefer it if they’d develop the next GTA proper with an improved engine and a new setting, and ideally modernized controls.

2010 for Agent does seem very soon, though I really doubt it will be a crap rush job. They seem to be loudly emphasizing it’s their “A-Team” working on it, the “ultimate action game”, made to the PS3′s strengths and so on. They’ve put their reputation on the line. I know it’d been agreed on quite a long time ago they were going to make an exclusive for PS3. Still, if it is due out next year it shouldn’t be too long before we see something of it.

4. Razor

Agent probably isn’t absolutely exclusive, and I’m pretty sure Sony know this, as Tretton and Feder won’t commit that it is…but it seems pretty clear that Sony and R* both know what’s going on here.

I’m betting that the PS3 version will be the ultimate optimised version…it ties in to what Feder said about getting the right support, and that any future sequels will be on PS3 first; that is if it’s a big game…if it tanks, well…

You have to wonder though….*if* Agent is being optimized to the PS3′s strengths and taking advantage of Blu-Ray specifically, will it have any impact on future GTA games? Sam Houser already commented on DVD constraints for GTA4, so maybe the next GTA could be optimized for Blu-Ray.

It seems unfair that GTA should be held back because of DVD space.

5. Dr.Ghettoblaster

New GTA for PS2…? Can I ask why?

6. joshua nash

more GTA IV dlc is always a good thing, but like Armitage i really want them to get to work on GTA V, where i hope the world is 4x the size san andreas’

7. No_PUDding

Razor, I don’t think it’s unfair at all. At the same time, DVD reads faster, so there are cutbacks for 360 versions of games, becuase of the Blu-Ray.

Ultimately you get more, but it’s way more difficult to stream.

And anyone who thinks agent IS truly exclusive is kidding themselves. It’s timed ofcourse, but that is all that matters at all. And if it sells horribly and is a horrid game, it will remain PS3 exclusive, ala Haze.

8. Armitage

Or like MGS4 maybe? :)

Come on, no need to get fanboyish here.

@joshua nash

Yeah I’d really love a modern GTA with the scale of San Andreas, or even larger. Loved being able to travel from city to city.

9. No_PUDding

MGS4 would be multiplatform if they didn’t start it so long ago, for the PS3. Probabaly just a hassle to port it.

10. Armitage

Yep, you’re probably right.

11. Razor

Yeah but PUD, that’s what the hard drive is there for. Now sure, it’s not ideal…far from it, but it’s something to fall back on.

Multiple DVD GTA would not work, as not every 360 has a hard drive to install onto…which is why R* can’t sell GTA on more than 1 DVD.

I’m just saying…Sam has commented on the fact that the 360 has DVD and that not every model has a hard drive, so if it is the “A Team” as they say working solely (at least initially) for the PS3 with Sony “giving them support”, it stands to reason that they’re going to discover more about the PS3, and would maybe want to make GTA as good as Agent, if Agent takes advantage of the PS3 in the way that Sony and R* are saying it will.

But yeah, it could turn out to be a Haze. Copious amounts of egg would go flying on people’s face if that was the case.

12. No_PUDding

Well who knows.

Maybe Pat knows. Patlike? Any comment?

13. Armitage

Well I don’t know.

I just want to say a couple of things, though.

1) I agree with what Razor is saying about the DVD/Blu Ray issue. I believe Houser was being honest when he said that the storage space issue was, well, an issue. It would have made no sense at all for him to have made those comments otherwise about his major upcoming multi-platform release. However, now that installing onto hard drive is possible on 360 (and I don’t think that is at all unrelated, Houser said at the time that they were discussing ways to address storage with Microsoft) that will go some way to solving those problems, though it could still be somewhat an issue for 360 owners depending on hard drive space.

2) The exclusivity of Agent – ultimately – does remain in question. Sony made a deal quite a while ago (in 2007) with Rockstar to produce a PS3 exclusive. And while “true” third-party exclusives are exceedingly rare, they do, as MGS4 demonstrates as example, still exist. What the extent of Sony’s agreement with Rockstar is time will tell. With MGS4, Sony often stated the title would not be possible on other systems. For that reason alone, the fact they made that claim – never mind the technical realities of the situation – meant MGS4 for 360 was never going to happen. Sony hasn’t said that about Agent, though. If it ever does make that claim, you can bet it won’t be going anywhere else. Otherwise, well yeah we’ll see.

14. Razor

Well, there’s an interview with David Reeves where he said Sony wouldn’t stop Konami taking MGS to another system….although whether he was talking about MGS as a whole or MGS4 though I don’t know.

I agree with PUD though, MGS4 probably would have gone multiplat had they started it later.

On the HDD issue, theoretically if MS gave every arcade owner a hard drive, then the issue of multiple DVD’s v Blu-Ray + HHD in every PS3 virtually goes away.

It’s going to be interesting to see how Forza 3 handles this, because how the 2 disc thing is going to work on FM3 has not been explained….or at least I can’t find any information on it.

And bear in mind that this is “the definitive racing game of this generation”…

15. Blerk

A new GTA for PS2? What the fuck is this guy on?