Xbox Live Community games not “financially viable”

Wednesday, 24th June 2009 20:05 GMT By Patrick Garratt

xblc

Clover developer Binary Tweed has told Digital Spy that the Xbox Live Community Games market is too small to be “financially viable”, and that the service’s only use is as an “arena for proving concepts”.

“It’s a shame to say that Clover has not sold as many copies as we’d hoped for. As it stands, through Community Games alone, we definitely won’t recoup costs,” said company boss Daniel Jones.

“Frustratingly enough, the critical reception to the game has been good. The size of the XBLCG market is prohibitively small to be financially viable, so I can only see it being of use to Binary Tweed as an arena for proving concepts.”

Whoops. More through there. Thanks, GI.

1. fearmonkey

It’s the damn MS points system, and the way community games is layed out.
    I have an ipod touch. I constantly buy 99 cent games all the time, some $1.99 games, and a few $4.99 or more titles.
    I hardly buy community games as I have to pay in packs of points, 500 or more starting at $6.25.
    If a developer chooses to make a 400 points or more game, it has to compete with the weekly arcade releases, and games that have been previously released.
    Plus, the inital pictures for community games are hardly ever as nice as the arcade game pics. The way its laid out makes it hard to see every game that the community section has to offer.

They need a ratings system from users, as I only bough supercow after a friend recommended it.

2. Gekidami

Point systems are just ways to try and obscure prices really…

3. frostquake

The initial Pictures of the games right out SUCK!! To the point of not even downloading a demo..yeppers that is right we are judging a book by its fugly color. Could be the best damn redneck game ever made, but has some stick drawing on the cover of a rabbit humping a controller…wait that sounds good..I copyright Rabbit Humping Controller Game….Sit on controller will it vibrates at varying speeds and twists your Knobs right off!

4. Blerk

I think there are three issues here.

1. Pricing needs to be more flexible – community stuff needs to be priced at 100 or 200 points, not bothering ‘professional’ stuff at 400 and 800.

2. The interface makes it too hard to actually figure out what’s good and what isn’t, and there’s so much stuff you can miss new releases if you don’t check the list out for a couple of days. The forthcoming ratings should hopefully help out here.

3. Most community games are complete shit.

I tried Clover and thought it was alright, but ultimately not interesting enough to pay 400 points for it. If it’d been 100 or 200 then maybe I’d have taken a punt – that’s taking stuff down into Mastertronic £1.99 territory.

5. Psychotext

I pimp it out everywhere else… so I’ll pimp it out here too: http://xblcg.info/games

For all your community games needs. User recommendations, screenshots etc. There’s quite a few games worth looking at now.