Agent is “about espionage, set in the 1970s”

Wednesday, 24th June 2009 12:35 GMT By Patrick Garratt

agentlogo1

Agent, the PS3 “exclusive” Take-Two announced in Sony’s press conference at E3, is set in the 70s, Take-Two boss Ben Feder’s told EG.

“It’s a completely different storyline, there is completely different character development,” the exec said of the title’s similarities to GTA.

“It’s a game about espionage, set in the 1970s. GTA is obviously more about an urban experience, a typically rags to riches experience. Very, very different storylines, very different character development. It’s going to be very fresh for gamers.”

Feder refused to flesh out what the firm meant by the term “exclusive” in regards to Agent.

“These are all relationship matters and contractual matters,” he said. “When we talk about our relationships and our exclusivity for PS3 and Agent, for example, we don’t disclose anything beyond what we’ve already said.

“But we think it’s important for us to be with Sony, and it’s important for Sony, I think, to be with us. The game promises to be one of the best games available because of who’s developing it, and because of the subject matter.”

Interview through the link.

1. Razor

“But we think it’s important for us to be with Sony, and it’s important for Sony, I think, to be with us.”

GTA and Sony have certainly done great things for each other. It makes sense for them to stick together…even if Agent was forced upon R* by Sony for letting them out of GTA VI exclusivity.

Is that even true though Pat, that Sony let R* out of GTA exclusivity and wanted an exclusive for the privilege?

That’s the story I always use anyway…

2. SniperWolf

ok we get it it is exclusive for ps3..god how many times they have to say it..

P.S. Patrick Garratt ;

3. No_PUDding

Ellie truly is one of the best interviewers out there, isn’t she?

Although, I hate how he speaks about it so vaguely. Sign of ‘only just started’ or sign of ‘Rockstar marketing cycle’?

But I like how he says their focus is on BoGT, RDR, and Agent.

Who knows? It’s timed exclusive all the way.

4. Blerk

I somehow doubt Sony ever signed a deal with Rockstar to have GTA launch first on Playstation platforms ‘forever’, Razor. There appears to be no proof at all that such an agreement even existed for GTA IV, let alone that they gave them the Agent deal in exchange for a ‘get out clause’. Why would Sony ever accept an unknown quantity in return for letting one of the most recognisable brands in gaming go?

I think it’s more likely that Sony cut this deal specifically because they couldn’t pin down GTA. And good on them – if you can’t get the bride, one of the bridesmaids will probably do, right?

5. Funkyd

“P.S. Patrick Garratt ;
    i think your writing is getting worse and we don’t need this shit here in VG247.”

Harsh, why don’t you have a go writing then? I doubt it’d be any better. In fact, I’d be willing to bet that you would be worse.

6. Blerk

This game has a great logo, btw. I approve!

7. No_PUDding

I am with Blerk totally.

Bridesmaid it is. But yeah, bridesmaid to GTA, in this case this bridesmaid is the brides sister. So if the bride is hot, then there’s a good chnace the sisters hot.

That was a dirty extended analogy to say, it’s Rockstar, so I am excited.

8. JonFE

Well, I seriously doubt Agent will stay exclusive forever; I seriously doubt *any* third-party game/DLC will stay exclusive forever. Hell, to be honest, in this economic climate and with the cost of development raising fast, I’m surprised even first and second party games can afford to stay exclusive forever…

That said, I hope Agent turns out to be really, really good!

9. No_PUDding

I agree wholeheartedly.

10. SniperWolf

@Funkyd:
    I am no writer Funkyd ..i mean look at his writing
    (Agent, the PS3 “exclusive” Take-Two announced in Sony’s press)
    did u see what he did here (“exclusive”)with quotation ..this kind of things will only lead to FANBOYS WAR

11. Blerk

It needs to be sort of a 70s detective movie. Dirty Harry, etc. That’d be fucking great!

12. Razor

I didn’t imply exclusivity forever, but it is known that Sony made a deal with Rockstar to keep GTA on their platforms first…so who knows if GTA4 was part of that deal?

Tretton is on video saying they let R* out, but that’s the only evidence there is.

I’m hoping Agent is amazing.

Agent + Dirty Harry = Win

13. No_PUDding

I was thinking more Life on Mars personally.

Set in Berlin and everything. Apart from Life on Mars is in England xD

The game will be a timed exclusive. Have we not established that already?

14. Syrok

“did u see what he did here (”exclusive”)with quotation ..this kind of things will only lead to FANBOYS WAR”

I think, you are overestimating the average intelligence of fanboys there. ;)

15. SniperWolf

i only ask for proper unbiased writing :-)

16. Dr.Ghettoblaster

In todays market, I think it was fair for the author to put “exclusive” in quotes. Agree with Blerk, the logo is perfect.

17. Tf53

So nobody’s confirmed yet that this is actually LA Noire?

18. Psychotext

It’s not La Noire. LA Noire is set in the 40s and (surprisingly enough) in LA.

19. SniperWolf

it doesn’t matter if the market today is different. i am just saying why the need to force an antithesis of the exclusivity of this title ,which is repeated many times ,that i cant count with both hands, in a public and trusty site

20. No_PUDding

And I reckon that job ad for Team Bondi (it was since the descriptions matched up perfectly) will be an old mail merged thing, describing the deal with Sony that is no longer in place.

So I don’t think there will be any PS3 exclusives coming from them.

21. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Dude he’s just emphasizing that the concept of “exclusiveness” is really a rocky/unsafe term these days and I think we can all agree to that.

22. El_MUERkO

i have a feeling that Agent will be Bourne without the Ludlum license and the restrictions it might bring to the game

23. Blerk

And sideburns. And flares. And aviator shades. Rolling over car bonnets and firing guns from behind open car doors. Reversing through boxes. Hub caps spinning off as you turn corners. Sticking enormous hand-gun barrels into the faces of pimps.

24. Captain Fruitloop

It’s called Agent, not ‘Fuzz’.

I’d be looking more at The Sandbaggers and the Len Deighton novels rather than Starsky & Hutch and Shaft.

25. No_PUDding

This is set in Berlin during the Cold War era….

You people have it all wrong.

26. Blerk

Yeah, I got a bit carried away there. I want my game too. Who’ll make that for me? :-D

27. No_PUDding

Well, I told everyone I was your agent, I’ve had about 5 people headhunting you.

What should I tell them?

28. Blerk

Tell them I only work for cold, hard cash. Or sex. With ladies.

29. No_PUDding

xD

30. Withnail

Will you now be referring to Splinter Cell Conviction as an “exclusive” as well?

31. No_PUDding

Well their both as exclsuive as each other given that the publisher for the games is Rockstar and Ubisoft. Neither famous or infamous for true exclusives.

32. No_PUDding

Official Site is up! Reveal must be nearby right?