Rye Hill prisoners were never allowed PS3s, says government

Wednesday, 17th June 2009 11:00 GMT By Patrick Garratt

prison

Looks as though someone’s crossed a few wires here. Despite a Guardian report saying prisoners at UK’s Rye Hill jail had PlayStation 3s removed due to fears they could organise a break-out with the machine’s wireless features, the Ministry for Justice has told IncGamers none of the inmates ever had access to the console in the first place.

“There are not and never have been Playstation 3s at HMP Rye Hill,” the department said in a statement.

“Prisoners in England and Wales have never been allowed access to wireless enabled technology such as that used in some games consoles.

“A decision was taken some years ago that the then current generation of games consoles should be barred because the capability to send or receive radio signals is an integral part of the equipment. Future games consoles with this ability will be banned. This ban applies to Xbox 360, Playstation 3 and Nintendo DS.”

So, yeah. Awesome.

1. pleasant_cabbage

360?

2. Blerk

Back to the “dare you to pick up the soap” game for ‘em, then.

3. Captain Fruitloop

@pleasant-cabbage – if you can smuggle guns and drugs into a prison, I dare say you can smuggle in a 360 wi-fi add-on.

4. mart

PSP not on the list because you wouldn’t want to play on a PSP even if you were in prison.

Only joking of course, I really like my PSP for some reason.

5. pleasant_cabbage

Or a phone… ;)

6. Retroid

I thought I remembered this being bullshit…. wasn’t there another paper which reported it a few months back?

7. El_MUERkO

poor fuckers will have to settle for a PS2

… wait, isn’t prison meant to be tough on criminals?

8. polygem

no consoles in jail? i must seriously re-think my lifestyle now

9. Dr.Ghettoblaster

They allow butsex but no videogames? Ahhh…