Molyneux: I want Rare to have more of an identity

Monday, 15th June 2009 08:32 GMT By Patrick Garratt

rarelogoa

Rare. Secretive Rare. Nintendo Rare. Peter Molyneux, Microsoft Game Studios’ newly-appointed super-boss, wants to change all that.

“One of the things I really want to do is help Rare have more of an identity,” he told GI at E3, “and make sure the people at Rare are seen more within the industry.

“I was totally blown away from the amount of talent that there is at Rare, but it’s just that they come from a background where Nintendo required them to be this very, very secretive company.

“I just want to give them the confidence to tell the world what they’re doing.”

We’ll never forget the time we were on a Rare visit, asked to photograph a couple of execs and got the answer, “No. We’re not rock stars.” Best get used to the make-up, chaps.

Full interview through there.

1. Ingenu

Long as they keep putting out good games, I don’t really care about their “identity”. What does that even mean anyways?

2. JesteR

Peter Molyneux = shut up. He is in love with his own voice.

3. Blerk

Give them something to work on that people actually want to play, Peter!

4. SplatteredHouse

Rare = a games software developer. Take the Mii-too development back to Microsoft HQ, and let them get on with what they’re famous, and most appreciated for.

I think it’s curious, how Rare always felt that it had to be this secretive organisation, and their hiring of a community rep was a good start; but there comes a time when the teasing and hinting just becomes tiring and a nuisance. It’s no longer charming or that nod to the fans, it looks more like an expected routine, that’s becoming played-out.
    They should have employee blogs, and a Rare one, that’s updated weekly.
    There’s no valid reason for the shadowy facade.

I think Peter’s absolutely right to improve Rare’s visibility, and people’s recognition of them as a developer, not just as another bit of MGS. As long as they don’t try to be like Criterion or anything – that certainly works for them, but wouldn’t for Rare – or go too ott, I think it would be a good move, and I really understand what he means about Rare’s identity. You just need to ask yourself what they’re about, to see the identity thing, clearly.

@Blerk +1.

5. Johnny Cullen

If Molyneux can do something great between Lionhead and Rare, I’m all for it. Till then, leave me at skeptical.

6. Blerk

I’d prefer it if they kept them separate, tbh. :-)

7. Johnny Cullen

I didnt say together, Blerk :P

Mind you, thats my fault I guess.

My point is that if he can do something great with Rare, but also do something different with Lionhead (Milo) that are great, I’m all for it.

8. anasui

they seemed rather confident back in 199x era, then it all went down the toilet

9. Michael O'Connor

“Peter Molyneux = shut up. He is in love with his own voice.”

Get back in the closet, fanboy.

If you’ve been following the news, you’d remember that Peter is the Creative Director of Microsoft’s European gaming wing, and has been for a few months. It’s his fucking *job* to discuss this stuff!

In love with the sound of his own voice? He was *interviewed*. You make it sound like the guy gets up on a giant soapbox with a massive megaphone in his hand and shouts this stuff to all and sunder.

10. mightyhokie

Wow, Michael, you sure do hate him. Is there a reason?

11. Psychotext

I think you’ve misread Michael’s comment there mh.

12. mightyhokie

Ohhhhhhh. Yes, I did. Sorry Micheal. I thought YOU were saying he was in love with the sound of his own voice. I see what you mean now. My bad!

13. Michael O'Connor

*laughs* No, worries. I love Molyneux.

…in a purely platonic sense, of course.

14. freedoms_stain

15. Michael O'Connor

“If Rare has any talent left then they’ve been hiding it in the basement and beating it with sticks, because they certainly haven’t been using it to make games.”

Yeah, because Viva Pinata and Nuts & Bolts are shitty games, amirite?

16. freedoms_stain

Look pretty shitty to me actually, yeah.

17. Ingenu

freedoms_stain is obviously not a gamer. Granted, maybe he just didn’t try the games because his favourite fanboi site told him they sucked… But I think we arrive at the same conclusion either way.

18. anasui

Nuts and Bolts was shit. PD0 was shit. Kameo was average. Viva Pinata was decent, but repetitive

so yeah, to me they kinda lost it

19. Gekidami

Pretty true really, no idea why so many people fuss over Rare when most of the stuff they’ve made this gen has been average at best.

20. Blerk

They were awesome right up to Alien 8.

21. Psychotext

It’s pretty clear that the quality of their output dropped when they got bought (for numerous reasons). That said, Viva Pinata and Nuts & Bolts are still two of my fave games this gen.

It’s obviously they need something changed. The new business development manager was the first step, hopefully six-gun Pete is the next. :)

22. DrDamn

@freedoms_stain
    The graphics engine of Nuts & Bolts is technically one of the best on the 360. It looks fantastic and the texture detail, draw distance & lod stuff is really good. Just a shame the core mechanic of the game – the vehicle control – was a bit shite.

23. Psychotext

It’s a marmite thing. I loved the whole “lego vehicle” aspect, but I can understand why plenty of people hated it. That engine on a proper platformer would have been golden.

24. Blerk

I’d have preferred to see it used in something more adventurey. More Fable-like, shall we say?

25. freedoms_stain

Sorry Ingenu, had no idea the definition of “gamer” had transformed to “people with the same taste in games as Ingenu”.

Wait, that shit didn’t happen, so shut your fucking hole.