Pachter “sincerely regrets” PSP Go “ripping off” remark

Friday, 12th June 2009 09:30 GMT By Patrick Garratt

pspgo1

Wedbush Morgan’s Michael Pachter has told IndustryGamers that he “sincerely regrets” saying Sony is “ripping off” punters with PSP Go’s pricing.

“I sincerely regret the choice of words in my response to Geoff Keighley’s question in last week’s Bonus Round, where I said that Sony is ‘ripping off’ the consumer by pricing the PSP Go at $249.99,” he said.

“I made a poor choice of words, and I do NOT think that Sony is doing anything nefarious in choosing their pricing strategy.”

The full statement’s through there. PSP Go launches on October 1.

1. Syrok

I still think it’s a rip-off.

2. JonFE

It seems to me that *someone* had a little *talk* with Mr. Pachter :-P

3. Suikoden Fan

but for once he was talking right, it is a rip off, but we don’t need an analyst to tell us that, its bloody obvious.

4. Blerk

It’s amazing what the threat of a withdrawn bribe can do! :-D

5. Psychotext

I wonder what exactly came to bite him on the arse.

I doubt Wedbush Morgan (his employer) was particularly pleased by it.

6. freedoms_stain

Sony has yet to justify the price point, so as far as I’m concerned the term “rip-off” applies perfectly until they do.

7. Gekidami

This is late, Cort put the link to the ‘retraction’ in the article to the original statment when it first went up.

8. Tf53

“What I originally meant to say was ‘When the PSP Go takes OFF, it’s RIP DSi’. Ahem, yeah, that was it. My words were twisted.”

9. G1GAHURTZ

pwned.

10. Robo_1

LOL, somebody had a pissed off Kaz on the phone last night then :)

He was right the first time of course, smaller screen, cheaper components and no UMD drive, ladies and gentlemen, this is probably where the PS3 price cut is coming from.

11. Cort

Actually he had a good reason himself for withdrawing the comment. Three days ago he told Kotaku:

“The fact is that Sony has been subsidizing the cost of the PS3 since launch, so to say that they are ‘ripping off’ consumers now is not really fair, and if I could retract the statement, I would do so.”

And Pachter has never previously held back on negative comments about the big three so please explain why all of a sudden would he be heavily influenced and forced to backtrack by one of them?

12. Blerk

So it’s okay to over-price the PSP because they made a loss on the PS3? What if you haven’t bought a PS3?

13. G1GAHURTZ

Well, you’ll have to buy one to get your moneys worth…

14. Jadeskye

bollocks to the PSP. waste of plastic and silicon.

15. anasui

why? He was right, for once

16. G1GAHURTZ

I’d say it’s definitely a libellous statement that could easily put his company in a lot of trouble.

All he would need is a simple reminder of Sony to let him know that.

17. Cort

No, what he is clearly saying is that he is sorry about the inevitable firestorm which followed across Johnny Interwebs and the industry, in which people – bloggers, the public and journalists alike – siezed on his comment as further “evidence” that Sony are greedy rip-off merchants and don’t give a damn about consumers. In his comment relating the situation to the PS3 he is obviously saying “rubbish”.

He is an internationally recognised analyst and is supposed (I did say supposed) to be objective, impartial, fair. I think he knew the moment this came out of his mouth that he had fucked up and said something very foolish.

18. G1GAHURTZ

Rubbish.

I can’t see the scenario where Pachter would say something as damaging as that, given the weight of his opinion in gaming, and Sony wouldn’t let their feelings known.

19. Psychotext

So what was he on when he was doing the interview you reckon? Just alcohol… or something a little more spicy?

(You could tell he wasn’t quite all there as soon as he started talking about the vitality sensor)

20. Cort

Sony probably said something so that must be why Pachter retracted? That’s a non-sequitur. And I didn’t say Sony said nothing.

Sony may well have said something. Prove to me that is why Pachter made his follow-up remarks? And don’t you think the PR bosses for the Big Three and major publishers are constantly on the phone or email to this man? And how many times does he backtrack on his own comments? Exactly.

Conspiracies, conspiracies, EVERYWHERE.

21. Dannybuoy

It’s not so much a rip off as freekin expensive. The iPhone 3GS architecture is more powerful and will cost less that the PSP Go [unless you are one of the unlucky early iphone adopters like me and will have to pay a huge upgrade fee].. the bastards!

22. Cort

Isn’t the iPhone subsidised by the carrier?

And how much is the monthly line rental for the PSP Go?

23. NiceFellow

He used inappropriate language for a public statement as a ‘professional’ industry commentator.

He apologized as you’d expect, reminding himself to use nice, professional terms like ‘inappropriate price point at this time’ etc. nice time. End of story.

24. theevilaires

little bitch thats what being employed by someone else gets you. a man isn’t a man unless he can speak his mind freely.

25. Komond_Deckard

¡Vendido!

You sell yourself Patcher. I really hope it was a good price, at least, the 80€ that Europeans pay more than US users for the PSPGo!. You could buy 6 PSPGo games with that. Well, in the USA, in Europe you only could pay 4.