Splinter Cell devs: We’re more immersive than Metal Gear

Thursday, 4th June 2009 15:59 GMT By Nathan Grayson

splintercellconviction6

Splinter Cell: Conviction has no cut scenes. None. Metal Gear has a lot. We put two-and-two together and asked a Splinter Cell: Conviction developer at E3 this week about that particularly glaring difference between the two series.

Here’s what he said:

“Our objective is to keep the player involved in the story at all time. I mean, I love Metal Gear Solid. But we thought this was a more immersive way to do things. Instead of, like, getting to that thing where you put the controller down for the next 45 minutes and wait for it to be over, we’re just gonna keep you in there the whole time.”

Sam, it’s OK to talk sometimes. Come on now — let it all out.

Splinter Cell: Conviction’s out this October.

1. bowenFTW

More immersive than metal gear, really? They must be talking about how they project the mission objectives into the game world…because that doesn’t seem out of place does it?

2. Blerk

I really liked both MGS1 and 2, but man…. 90% of the yak yak yak could’ve gone without actually affecting the story. In fact, it would’ve probably improved the story.

3. theevilaires

name one splinter cell game better than MGS3

4. bowenFTW

The discussion about how long the cut scenes were will never end, I personally loved them, I saw the game as a piece of entertainment rather than a game, so I thought it really worked.

As for Splinter Cell, I don’t see how projecting objectives into the world would increase immersion, I would see it as out off place. Actually that’s the first thing I thought when I saw the live feed from E3

5. Blerk

He didn’t say those helped with immersion though. He said ‘not having 45 minute cut-scenes’ helped.

I kind of like those projections – they look neat. I’ve never bought a Splinter Cell game in my life, though.

6. bowenFTW

Yes he didn’t say they helped immersion, but they obviously tried a very unique mechanic instead of cut scenes. So for instance he said “Our objective is to keep the player involved in the story at all time.” which must relate to this projection system they have so you never break out of game play. I just thought it looked out of place (although very cool) and wouldn’t aid immersion.

7. Blerk

I see what you mean. They’re not really any more immersion-breaking than giant yellow exclamation marks appearing over peoples’ heads accompanied by loud ‘zoing!’ noises, though. :-D

8. Psychotext

It’s ages since I’ve seen this old battle.

Welcome back!

9. SniperWolf

hahhahahaa . Metal Gear Solid is untouchable ,but release your game first then we will see .
    مثل ما قيل
    عذر البليد مسح الصبوره

10. bowenFTW

I totally agree but we’re not talking about feature is more immersion breaking, simply that I don’t agree with what the Splinter Cell dev team say.

11. Johnny Cullen

I am now officially looking forward to Conviction… alot. It’s probably my game of the show.

But to say it’s more immersive then MGS? Na.

12. No_PUDding

To compare this stealth game with that stealth game, is to compare which of these is the better, bad shooter.

No Place for Stealth.

13. Eon

it’s all subjective. I have always preferred the Splinter Cell series and have high hopes for the new one but I also admit MGS is a great series.

14. No_PUDding

Neither are really immersive games in the first place.

15. anasui

maybe he means Sam is a better scuba than Snake. Which is true

16. MasterChiefFenix

i think this sounz liek a great idea.

17. endgame

first of all, he is talking about THIS game, not the others. imo the others r kind of weak compared to this one.
    second of all, i think he’s right. more immersive means that YOU get to play more, instead of just watching stuff, no matter how good that stuff is. i mean, think about it, what is more immersive TO YOU? watching an experience? or having it?
    3rd, go see the e3 gameplay demos! those r f awsm! mgs can’t even come close to that, even with it’s scripted elements, and conviction allows u to do all that ingame, the way u want it, not the way the developers want to. cheers!