Infinity Ward receives Guinness award for COD4 world record

Thursday, 4th June 2009 16:32 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

infinityward

Infinity Ward accepted an nice little plaque from Guinness yesterday in the Activision booth at E3.

The developers were awarded with the world record for “the most popular online console game” due to Call of Duty 4 being played by 13 million people on Xbox Live since November 2007.

That does not even take into account the number of players who go online with the PC and PS3 versions.

Gratz guys.

More over Joystiq.

1. G1GAHURTZ

Best online shooter ever.

I’m really looking forward to the MW2 mp, and will probably take a good few days off work just to sit and play it loads.

Seriously, the fun that I have playing this online is way off the scale… Like 100/10!

2. Robster1979

It sure beats COD5, cant put my finger on exactly why but I keep going back to 4 whereas 5 is relegated to the bottom of the pile.

3. DrDamn

So is this more than Halo 3 then?

4. polygem

excelent shooter. more maps would have been nice though. they are still 800 ms points. this is greedy.

5. theevilaires

so sick of hearing about xbox live like its heaven. Dammit sony unleash 3.0 you ass holes.

6. G1GAHURTZ

Hey TEA, click on my username!

7. anasui

meh.

best online shooter ever? More like best nerd-centric tiny maps-ridden zero strategy chaotic spamfest. I can really see why its been a success

8. G1GAHURTZ

Shaddap you face!

9. theevilaires

OMG!!!!!!!!!!! we play the same mode i knew it! Damn you’re pretty good. You got my adrenaline pumping, its so hard to resist going out and buying a 360 now. My only doubt of beating you is i’m not use to playing with a 360 controller. I tried with Halo 3 but hated it.

Is free for all your favorite match type? If so I think I know why. My reason is because my team mates cause me to lose on team matches, fucking noobs, i’m too good for them.

I think i’ll spend the rest of the day watching your vids, studying your techniques. I have tears of joy rolling down my eyes because I want to challenge you sooooo bad, and if I lose I would still be happy because I know I lost to a great player like you. You have my up most respect G1GA, this footage of you is awesome man.

Also how many matches have you played in free for all and won with a flawless victory. I’ve only done it once on back lot.

10. theevilaires

i have a you tube account and now i know what to do with it, thanks G1GA. I will be recording vids soon to show you my skills. I wish it supported direct uploading like the pixel junk games and hawx.

11. G1GAHURTZ

I started playing FFA originally, and didn’t play anything else for a long time.

If I want to get my W/L ratio up, then I just play FFA for a few weeks, because I rarely ever lose.

I used to play it mostly because it’s so fast paced, and you don’t have to worry about other poeple going negative and messing you up. You can just keep getting kill after kill and go into cruise control. It’s really relaxing! lol.

But after a while I hooked up with some guys and joined their clan, so now we mix it up and play different team games. Most of the time we play S+D now though. It’s shorter than FFA, but more intense.

I’ve gone 25-0 about 3 times on FFA, I think. I did it the other day and realised that I should have recorded it. I play run and gun though, so it’s difficult for me to do that, because I always put myself right in the middle of the action to get as many kills as I can.

We gotta play soon man. Seriously, sometimes all we do is laugh all night when we play this game. You’d enjoy playing with us, I’m sure!

12. G1GAHURTZ

Cool. Look forward to seeing them!

Yeah, I hope MW2 will have a direct uploading system. It should do, since other games have one…

13. El_MUERkO

i really enjoy CoD:WAW, i find it’s a bit too same-y to CoD4 but thats no bad thing

cant wait for MW2 thou :D

14. theevilaires

oh you only have two vids lol, i got the popcorn out and was ready to take notes. your offense is superb and even though i’ve spotted a few flaws in your defense, you make up for them with your quick reflexes. its like watching myself play but you have a more direct approach. I can play that way too, but i enjoy ripping those noobs piece from piece. did i tell you i’ve never played the single campaign. online is the true heart to that game.

I was looking forward to killzone being similar to this, but after playing it,it was clear COD4 was still king to me. I hope MW2 can out do COD4 in online cause i can tell you thats where i’m going first. I won’t even bother with the single player.

15. G1GAHURTZ

Hehe… Yeah, I only got 2 vids atm. I have loads of footage already recorded, but I want to make a montage and I haven’t had the time to put anything together yet.

I’ve done everything in the SP campaign, and sometimes I still give it a go, but you’re right. The MP is the better side of the game.

I’m not sure what to do about the MW2 SP campaign tbh. I want to go through it, but I’d only want to do it on Veteran, and that’d probably take at least 2 or 3 days to finish, which would mean 2 or 3 days away from the MP while everyone is ranking up…

I’ll have to work out a timetable… lol!