Eurogamer Expo dates confirmed for London and Leeds, Sony, Nintendo and MS on board

Thursday, 7th May 2009 08:45 GMT By Patrick Garratt

egexpo09

There will be two Eurogamer Expos this year, it was confirmed this morning, another in London and, for the first time, an event in Leeds.

The Leeds show will take place first, running October 27-28. The Expo hits London on October 30-31.

HMV’s sponsoring, and Eurogamer’s expecting 14,000 gamers to turn up.

Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft are all involved, EG said this morning, and further publishers are to be announced in the “coming months”.

Tickets are on sale at the official site now, priced £6 per day.

Press release after the break.

Press Release

Brighton, England, 7th May 2009: Following on from a hugely successful inaugural event, Eurogamer is pleased to announce that the Eurogamer Expo is set to return later this year.

Partnered with hmv, this year’s event will be taking place in two cities – London and Leeds. The London event will take place on October 30th and 31st at Old Billingsgate – over 80,000 square feet of top grade exhibition space. The Leeds event – in association with Game Republic and Screen Yorkshire – will debut at The Royal Armouries on October 27th and 28th.

This year’s Eurogamer Expo is sponsored by hmv, who are also the show’s official retail partner, meaning that gamers will be able to buy games at the event as well as play them. In total, the two events will cater for up to 14,000 gamers – a huge increase from the first event, which was a sell-out.

The Eurogamer Expo is about putting the best games in the hands of gamers. Many publishers have already signed up to exhibit their biggest titles of this Christmas and beyond, and these will be announced over the coming months.

The website for the 2009 event is live now at http://expo.eurogamer.net, where tickets are already on sale, priced at £6 per day.

Eurogamer managing director Rupert Loman said: “I think we struck a chord with gamers and the games industry last year. The formula was simple and we’re sticking to it – great games to play, a great price for consumers and excellent value for exhibitors. We’re delighted to have the support of hmv this year along with Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo again”.

Taking place alongside the Expo is the GamesIndustry.biz Career Fair, the UK’s premier recruitment event for the games industry. More activities taking place at the event will be announced soon.

1. Blerk

Leeds? Holy fuck, that’s right on my doorstep. Now I don’t have an excuse not to go.

2. Patrick Garratt

I haven’t been up there for years. I may melt.

3. Blerk

It’s pretty dangerous. You’ll obviously need to be armed.

If you do turn up, I probably owe you a drink. :-)

4. Patrick Garratt

Diet Coke for me! I definitely will be there. News action, as it’s in Leeds before London. I’ll see if I can coax Mike out of Denmark for it as well.

5. redlander

/ for Leeds. Wonder where they are going to have it?

6. Blerk

It’s at the Royal Armouries.

7. redlander

Sweet! Thats where I live. I can see it from my balcony.

8. Tiger Walts

Woo, for Leeds. It’s still a few hours travel away but it’s a cheaper train fare. :D

9. El_MUERkO

Londoners interested in meeting up at the expo I’ve posted a thread on the EG Expo Eurogamers Group :)

10. Blerk

And I posted one for Leeds…ers.

11. Johnny Cullen

Yay for not living in London or Leeds! Still booked tickets for London though :D

12. Prof Power Glove

I might attend if I can convince our publishers to show some of their warez there. ;)

13. SticKboy

OMG – do we finally actually have a successful annual gaming even for the UK on our hands?

Wowzers.

14. Blerk

Well, I booked a ticket for the Tuesday. See you all there!

Although you won’t see me. Until it’s too late.

15. Mike

Yeah, I’d love to have the time to come. We caned it last year.

16. sennasnit

@redlander
    “Sweet! Thats where I live. I can see it from my balcony.”

are you a millionaire, i thought all the houses near there were luxury flats, especially ones with balconies.

i too live in Leeds, now all i need to do is convince the wife that it is a necessity, i have to go…

17. Pyrix

At least they chose a different venue for London. The one it was at last year was pretty bad, and hard to find.

Play Live is in the midweek before I believe, maybe the same time as the Leeds Expo, and in my opinion, that event was better organised/easier to get to (you can’t miss Wembley Stadium) and had more other events (such as live music). However, Eurogamer had better games, so that’s why Play has been moved from March to October.

18. deftangel

Tell me about it Pyrix, I walked past it all the way up Brick Lane into darkest East Lundon looking for the bar last year. Then one of the bar staff tried to mug us off!