Warhammer Online ended March with 300,000 subs

Tuesday, 5th May 2009 21:58 GMT By Patrick Garratt

warhammeronline8

EA execs just confirmed in an investor conference call that Warhammer Online has 300,000 subscribers at the end of March 2009.

The company reported an FY2009 loss of $1.08 billion earlier today.

The MMO launched in September 2008.

1. El_MUERkO

not good, pity, it’s a damn good game but i have room in my life for only one mmo and even that is played sparsely

2. Patrick Garratt

Talked to Bill Roper about this last week. He reckons it’s the second biggest fantasy MMO in America. I’ll do a story on it tomorrow.

Bed now, though :)

3. blackdreamhunk

He is dead wrong if he thinks his mmo is the second largest. That is kind of bad for a mmo. You want to have around 500 000 gamers. They need to market their mmo all over the world. Also it is too heavy on the pvp.

I think I am more looking forward to kotor mmo.

EA has also said this about pc gaming

however they are just “new” to the online gaming. pc gaming has always been a jugernut.

4. hitnrun

It isn’t “kind of bad” for an average MMO; it’s pretty good in fact. Not great. You have to remember that before (and after) WoW is nothing but MMOs that operated long-term with 60,000 to 600,000 subscribers.

If there’s a possible negative for WAR, it’s that it’s not an average MMO, and they may have spent *so* much money on it (nobody’s sure) that they need an outstanding performance for it to truly be considered a financial success. But 300,000 is certainly enough to keep the title alive and healthy.

Of course it eventually has to level out; if it keeps declining from its release numbers, you could see it start to run into trouble. It really should have waited another year to launch in a non-expansion year for WoW with all its classes and cities, and been more thoroughly beta tested to see which features (coughpublicquestscough) were superfluous.

5. Grimrita

Personally, I prefer WAR to WoW for the pvp – its just so much better and has some nice touches. But at launch it was just a mess and so unfinished.

I would love to go back but I think my server has probably closed now and they really need to give those that have stopped playing a good reason to go back (15 days free or something to try out the new content).

As for the next Star Wars MMO, I was looking forward to it but after seeing some of the videos and footage, I might be crossing this one OFF my list. The PR spin behind it is making me sick.

6. mike_p

They are running a 10-day free trial at the moment. I really like the game, but it does have problems.

At the moment one of the biggest is realm imbalance. For whatever reason, it seems that most (not all) servers have a numerical advantage on the Order side. Also, they had too many servers to start with.

My server (Burlok) is the last English language RP server, and it looks like they’ll be merging it into a core server or allowing transfers off. Destruction seem to have given up the ghost there, sadly.

I do think that over the next few months the quality of the game will continue to improve, the question is can they get another push to re-engage the MMO community with it? A lot of people seem to be waiting in the wings to take it up again at a future date.