GDC: PoP boss says no-death mechanic was a “mistake” of “attitudes”

Wednesday, 25th March 2009 10:50 GMT By Patrick Garratt

princeofpersiaa

Prince of Persia dev boss Ben Mattes has told a gathering at GDC that the no-death mechanic in last year’s franchise re-boot was a “mistake” in terms of projecting his own opinions on the game.

“I guess I made the mistake of projecting my own attitudes,” he said, as reported by MTV.

“I believed that, as a consumer base, the gaming industry had evolved to the point where they were punishing themselves for their failures.

“The idea with the Elika mechanic was [that] if you were a really good player, a single fall – when she had to pull you up – would be devastating thing because it ruined your perfect run.”

More through there. Thanks, EG.

1. Blerk

From the sounds of it they’ve totally gotten it wrong again for the DLC as well, though. The discussion about it on ListenUP this week essentially paints it as the ‘anti-PoP’ – ridiculously hard and irritating just for the sake of it.

They really need to find that middle ground again from the sounds of it. Which is somewhat ironic as they already had it pretty much spot on in the previous three games.

2. Gekidami

The whole game was a mistake, its the first 3D PoP game i’ve played and it was as boring as hell, dare i say it was even more boring then Crackdown :D

3. Whizzo

I got very bored with this PoP really quickly, Ubisoft has been getting it wrong since Sands of Time.

4. No_PUDding

Ubisoft have been going downhill since Sands of Time.

And Ben Mattes is a dick, I hate to say the old cliche I told you so, but I told everyone.
    And now he’s eating some crow.

5. Tonka

People who find Crackdown boring should be forced to play FFXII for 60 hrs.

6. Tonka

BTW: Is there an achievement for not being rescued by Elika?

7. Hero of Canton

There’s an Achievement for being rescued fewer than 100 times or something.

8. Syrok

No, but there is one for talking to, one for talking a bit more to her.
    You get one if she saves you less then a hundred times.

There is also one for finishing the game, as if finishing it wasn’t enough of a reward.

9. Soong

10. Quiiick

11. SilentLoner

crackdown was awesome. Red Faction looks to fill the PS3 void that crackdown cant fill as its an exclusive :P

12. Soong

Crackdown is amazing, pure gaming at its finest. If you can’t appreciate that I can only assume you’re one of *those* gamers, you know the ones that keep buying Need for Speed, Fifa, and Madden year after year.

13. Quiiick

You seem to be too narrow-minded to understand that, no matter what game you talk about, there are always those who like it and those who don’t!
    And saying that those who don’t like the particular game are not worthy playing any game is just plain stupid. In other words: You’re an idiot.

14. Soong

I can accept that it’s a matter of opinion, but not when it comes to Crackdown. And if you think I’m an idiot for believing in Crackdown, then you represent everything that’s wrong with gaming today. You either believe in Crackdown and the gaming ethos it stands for, or you’re part of the problem. Crackdown.

15. Gekidami

All this mention of Crackdown is making me sleepy… ;)

16. Soong

Crackdown!

17. Quiiick

@ Soong
    QUOTE: “And if you think I’m an idiot for believing in Crackdown…”

No, you got it all wrong, and on purpose I suppose.
    I myself think Crackdown is a decent game, a bit repetitive but entertaining non the less.

You’re an idiot for saying: “People who find Crackdown boring should really find a new hobby, gaming is not for you.”
    This statement is plain stupid!

Or: “… You either believe in Crackdown and the gaming ethos it stands for, or you’re part of the problem.
    Equally stupid!

18. lelik

quiiick you said this “People who do not find Crackdown boring should really find a new hobby, gaming is not for you.” and now you’re backtracking to win this argument. therefore you are the idiot here. that statement pretty much is outright hate towards crackdown. not a small dislike for a slightly repetitive game. you sir may just be the problem.

19. Soong

You tell him lelik! Quiiick and other Crackdown haters are the real problem, and true gamers with good taste must rise up en masse to show them the wrongness of their ways. We have enough Need for Speeds, enough Fifas, enough mini-games compilations for the Wii. We need more gamers’ games, games that are all about letting the player have as much fun as possible without being bogged down by a pretentious story or cinematical aspirations. In short, we need more Crackdown. Crackdown!

20. Quiiick

@ lelik
    God! I’m not backtracking! I just reverted his statement by adding “do not” to show the stupidity of this sentence. Wasn’t that clear?

21. Quiiick

@ Soong
    There are no “true gamers”!
    Seems you’ll never understand, moron.

22. Syrok

What’s going on here, then? :)

23. Quiiick

@ Syrok
    I got a bit carried away. Stupidity makes me angry. Trying to calm down now … ;)

24. Soong

You are being foolish quiiick. You aren’t foolish but you have been tempted by Fifa and Need for Speed and you’ve strayed from the righteous path, the path of the true gamer and the epitome of gameplay that is Crackdown.
    Don’t forget when you stare into the Crack, the Crack stares back into you. Crackdown.