EA: Longer console life cycle means more price drops

Friday, 13th March 2009 02:00 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

ps3a21

EA’s Eric Brown believes that consoles currently on the market will be around for longer than previous iterations.

Speaking at the Wedbush Morgan Securities conference, Brown said that since two out of three consoles are HD-capable and can render 60 frames per second, we’re at the limit of currently-available tech.

“I myself am not quite sure where we go from here,” said Brown. “There’s just no broadly-available consumer viewing technology beyond HD. You have to be a PC technophile with an ultra high resolution monitor to get past that.”

Brown admitted that even with Wii’s less graphically-enhanced console, the innovative controls prove that “high-powered processors are increasingly less relevant” to a console’s success.

Yet, online capabilities of the PS3, Xbox 360 and innovations in digital distribution prove there is still room for continuing growth on all three platforms.

Because of this, he says we should not expect new consoles anytime soon, but more price drops for the ones already available.

“The point here is that we’ve seen one major price drop thus far in this console cycle; we feel that we have a long ways to go, and a lot more of the unit sales will occur at the lower price points,” he said.

“History holds more [hardware] units translates, times tie ratio, to more software units and software dollars for third-party publishers. Those are the key takeaways in terms of where we see this console cycle at this point in time.”

1. Gamoc

‘EA: Longer console life cycle means more price drops’

Grass: Green.

Getting sick of saying this.

2. Psychotext

“I myself am not quite sure where we go from here,”
    “There’s just no broadly-available consumer viewing technology beyond HD.”

3. Michael O'Connor

“Ummm… I really hope he realises that we had 30 years of games consoles which didn’t need a resolution upgrade every new generation.”

The first four or five generations of consoles couldn’t even display images at the maximum resolution capable by TV sets. That brick wall was only hit with… you guessed it… the PS2.

The guy has a point. Processors nowadays are developing at such an exponentially fast rate that the technology is developing 10 times faster then it needs to, and it’s become a completely issue. The price of PC hardware is the cheapest its every been because of this.

There will be little reason to rush a new format out on the market in the next few years, especially considering the rather slow uptake of both the PS3 and 360 – they’ve only sold about one third the number of units individually in their lifespan as the PS2 did in the same length of time.

If they replace them too quickly, they risk causing more damage to software sales in the long run.

4. Blerk

Well, I kind of hope he’s right – I prefer longer cycles. Because I’m a tight-arse who doesn’t like spending money on new kit. :-D

5. Patrick Garratt

He is right, without doubt, in my view. I don’t think we’ll be seeing a proper hardware generation change for a long, long time.

6. Lutz

I reckon it’ll be xmas 2012 for the first of the next gen machines. And the resolution won’t alter from current. Well… I think 1080p will be standard.