Warcraft 3 champ signs $500k gaming contract

Thursday, 12th March 2009 22:20 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Jae Ho 'Moon' Jang

Professional Warcraft gamer Jae Ho ‘Moon’ Jang has signed a three-year deal with Korean gaming league WeMade FOX worth 700,000,000 won ($473,037).

Previously a member of Warcraft and Starcraft team Meet Your Makers, Moon is please to be playing back home again.

“I am honored to play for a Korea professional gaming team for Koreans. As setting good circumstance of playing, I will give everything to my fans and FOX team by winning lots of titles in 2009,” he said.

This deal makes the 22-year-old the highest-paid professional Warcraft III player and the second highest paid e-Sports player in Korea.

1. Syrok

Half a million to play video-games all day, all night. Crazy.

2. Gamoc

I could so do that.

3. Syrok

Really? I think it be a right pain in the arse to play games professionally, especially so since you are almost forced to play a single for several hours a day over month or even years. Sure you get a nice pay check, but I rather have decent job and play games in my spare time.

4. Patrick Garratt

I saw people playing StarCraft at the Blizzard WWI in Paris last year on the stage, and it’s fucking insane. Just a blur.

5. deanimate

their apm is just jaw droppingly amazing. just like any other professional sport imo. barely anyone could do what this guy does.

6. cachucha

for that money, sponsored trips, gaming gear and whatnot, i would so play a game that much :P

7. Michael O'Connor

“Sure you get a nice pay check, but I rather have decent job and play games in my spare time.”

His apparently not “decent” job nets him half a million in cash a year. And I’m sure he’s quite happy doing it.

8. Gamoc

I would happily do that with much less money.

9. Syrok

@Michael: Of course he is happy. Who wouldn’t be? What I meant is that I rather have to something else I also enjoy doing then my hobby.
    Besides you just like any other professional athlete he wouldn’t be able to do that for a very long time and what is he going to do after that? It’s not like there is a market for Starcraft trainers.

10. endgame

u know, Syrok is right. i’ve been there, done that, and it’s definetly not an easy thing to do. i’m not saying it’s not fun, but it has it’s bad parts. imo, it’s all about your team.