Quake Live gets hammered, 113,000 people sign up

Wednesday, 25th February 2009 14:48 GMT By Patrick Garratt

quakelivea2

Over 113,000 people have signed up for Quake Live since the free-to-play shooter went into open beta this morning, as seen on the game’s twitter.

Around 10,000 users are constantly in line to register for the game.

The latest incarnation of id’s classic FPS looks as though it may well “work”.

Good luck if you’re trying to get involved.

1. Blerk

I was going to try it, but there were forms and stuff and I couldn’t be arsed.

2. Dean

Registered, and authenticated my email.. only to be told there’s a queue of ~10000 people before me in the queue. Is this a queue to play the game? A queue to do *additional* registration gubbins?

Who knows. Or cares. After watching it increase by 50 users in the space of a minute, I figured this was a *giant waste of time*.

You’ve got the right idea, Blerk. Don’t bother.

Bah.

3. Gekidami

But it clearly says “Easy to join” “Play in minutes” on their site.

4. deftangel

Managed to get on earlier, very impressive though a download of sorts (around 4mb) is required for the plugin. Does that mean I can rock up at an Internet cafe to play some quake? Hmmm not sure.

Biggest drama I had was trying to play a fast paced PC FPS after a few years of gluttony on console controls. Didn’t do myself much justice :)

As for the waiting times, there was always going to be an enormous spike when the beta opened up that will be waay higher than their normal usage. Once it evens down a bit I doubt it’ll take so long to get into a game.

5. Dr.Haggard

Been playing the beta for a while now, enjoying a few games most lunch hours at work – and finding I’m still the average player I was in 1999 :( – but now I find myself 11418th in a queue! Jesus.

6. loki

i better to pay 60$ for normal game, when play this PC-shit

7. David Sarkisjan

I made it through a queue (20, 000 players) in a matter of minutes, so I really don’t know what are you guys talking about.

8. Captain Fruitloop

It’s apparently just gone tits-up due to server problems, according to what I’ve just read on someone’s Facebook update…

9. cachucha

I liked the closed beta but these queues are annoying, the game is worth a try itself and its free. Really impressive how they implement it into a browser, carmack is a really good programmer

10. DrDamn

Queues – that’s what Carmack meant about stuff that PC’s do best … ;). It’s an impressive feat though, I’ll give em that.