Blu-ray disc sales to crest 100 million this year

Monday, 23rd February 2009 21:00 GMT By Patrick Garratt

bluraylogoa1

More than 100 million Blu-ray discs will be sold across the US, Western Europe and Japan this year, research group Futuresource Consulting said today.

The group’s predicted HD TVs and reductions in Blu-ray player prices will spike interest in the format despite the global recession.

“In the USA, Blu-ray has moved from early adopter phase through to early majority, with the format gaining real traction in the marketplace,” said Mai Hoang, senior market analyst at Futuresource.

“Last year in the US alone, Blu-ray video retail sales increased by a whopping 320 per cent to 24 million units; and we’re going to see momentum continuing in 2009, with over 80 million disc sales forecast.”

More on GI.

1. Psychotext

I do love year over year percentage increase numbers… when the first year was shite. :D

2. airdom

From 24 million to 80 mill? mmm i dunno. those movies are so damn expensive. just buy cheap dvds, and get an upconverting dvd player until it is REALLY worth it hehe. looks fine on an hdtv.

also…i dunno in those numbers if they are taking in consideration ALL the movies they give away(crappy movies) when you buy a blu-ray player? hehe

3. Syrok

I got Casino Royal with my BD player.^^

The price difference between BD and DVD isn’t too bad anymore.

4. airdom

for some movies it’s still pretty hiked up.

my father god Kingdom of heaven, the devil wears prada, and i robot i think

5. sennasnit

loads of offers online, 3 for 2, and buy 1 get one free, you’ve just gotta look for them. I’ve got 6 and i only started collecting them at christmas, but i’d had my PS3 for a whole year before i bought any, I was just waiting for “The Thing” to be released. People that say there is little difference between DVD (normal or upscaled) and Blu Ray are wrong, you can see a staggering difference just in the opening credits.

6. Retroid

Blade Runner looks staggering on my telly, it’s just the price (and use I’d get out of most releases) which puts me off buying more.

7. airdom

i’m not saying there isnt a difference lol. there is indeed a really huge difference, but for the price, an upscaled suite me just fine right now.