Lewis: No, really – 360 leads PS3 in EMEA

Monday, 16th February 2009 08:59 GMT By Patrick Garratt

xbox360logoa43

And round and round we go. Xbox Europe boss Chris Lewis has told GI that 360 is well ahead of PS3 in EMEA.

“If you look right across my area of responsibility, every data point that I’ve got, which I trust – and data points we’ve always used – put us approximately 1 million units ahead in the aggregate,” he said.

Lewis is using GfK Chart-Track, figures, he said, and it talking specifically about EMEA – Europe, the Middle East and Africa.

This grouping doesn’t include Australia and New Zealand, which will be added to Sony’s figures when they talk about the PAL region.

Next up: David Reeves says Chris Lewis is wrong! Keep that breath bated while you wait.

1. Blerk

I await Sony’s stock response with ba… boredom.

2. Retroid

EXCITEMENT

3. Johnny Cullen

Reeves: “The PS3 maybe the most expensive but it’s the better console of the 3, you’ll get your moneys worth out of the PlayStation 3.”

I expect that sort of response from Reeves, its the usual.

4. Psychotext

Until Chart Track et al release their numbers to the public this crap will just go round and round. It’s the lack of transparency that lets the hardware manufacturers say whatever they want to about their sales in EMEA.

5. Johnny Cullen

When will CT publiclly publish the charts?

If at all?

6. Psychotext

Based on historical trends… never.

7. Tiger Walts

I can honestly say that the Xbox 360 is leading the PS3…

by one unit…

in my household. These are figures I trust.

8. Psychotext

Same numbers in my household. We may be onto something here!

9. Blerk

360 and Wii appear to be neck and neck in my household.

10. Rhythm

PS3 gained the ground in mine, after the 360 withdrew from the market entirely :-)

11. Cort

This is bullshit. If Reeves is talking PAL, and MS say the claim is wrong, then MS should quote figures for the EXACT same area.

12. Psychotext

They can’t… Sony never clarify where their figures are for. :)

Plus, given Chart Track etc don’t cover all the areas in the “PAL” zone they wouldn’t be able to use them to back up the figures anyway. I suppose you could get a vague idea from their latest shipped figures though if you mingle in the sold data we have too.

PS3 shipped: 21.3m
    PS3 US sold: 7.0m
    PS3 Japan sold: 2.8m
    PS3 Canada sold: ~0.7m (as of Jan)
    Unaccounted: ~10.8m

360 shipped: 28.5m
    360 US sold: 14.2m
    360 Japan sold: 0.9m
    360 Canada sold: ~1.2m (as of Jan)
    Unaccounted: ~12.2m

I guess it depends how much of the remainder non PAL countries make up as to who would be right. I can’t imagine it would be a lot given most of the big players are accounted for (or they’re PAL).

13. Cort

He clearly says PAL territories. In the Sony context we know exactly what countries this means.