Rumor: Obsidian lays-off as Aliens RPG is canned [Update]

Thursday, 12th February 2009 18:41 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

aliens

Update: Gamespot’s been told work’s been “indefinitely suspended” on the game.

Rumor has it that Sega’s canceled Obsidian’s upcoming Aliens RPG, resulting in 20 employees being laid off.

This all comes on the heels of Sega’s announcement yesterday of a new Rebellion-developed Alien vs Predator for 2010.

The title’s confirmation would mean “strategically updated” release planning for Sega’s other Aliens games, said the firm. Look as though that may have meant “off the map entirely,” at least for the Obsidian project.

We’ve mailed Sega and left phone messages so hopefully someone over there can confirm or deny this soon.

1. Psychotext

Wow… it’s just bad news after bad news at the moment. :(

2. Gekidami

Its Sega though so its no real surprise.

3. Hunam

Son of a fucking bitch.

Fuck you SEGA, fuck you. Cunts.

4. SplatteredHouse

I wish Sega had a clue, I really do. According to the article linked, Obsidian were ready and willing to show the game off, publicly, given publisher approval. It almost seems that there must have been another U-Haul incident, because that post was made to their community boards only this week! Now we hear of potential job cutting ‘overnight’

Oh, and Kotaku’s post has been updated: “Update: Sega just replied saying they “do not respond to speculation or rumor questions.”

Well, that’s really bloody helpful!
    SEGA can indeed go fuck itself, if this is the sort of level it’s happy/capable to work at.

5. Panipal2005

@ Hunam

Seconding that. That RPG seemed way more interesting than the shooter version, just by dint of not being the shooter version.

Which I actually wasn’t against picking up. Now though, thanks to the genius of Sega, I very much am.

6. airdom

Hope Sega doesn’t go down the drain or file bankruptcy anytime soon though.

7. Hunam

I’m not that bothered about the game being canned, Obisidan are what’s left of Black Isle and they are my favourite developer.

They shit gold in my eyes, who the fuck do SEGA think they are.

8. airdom

they’re the ones publishing the game most probably hehe.

9. Blerk

God damn it, this is the Aliens game that I wanted!