Avatars get national soccer strips

Wednesday, 28th January 2009 06:49 GMT By Patrick Garratt

giggsa.jpg

Xbox 360 Avatars can now be dressed in various national soccer jerseys, Nelson confirmed last night.

Great news if you’re Welsh and play FIFA. At least you can live part of the dream.

All the new clothing’s free. Other countries’ strips included are:

• Austria
  • Scotland
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • Wales

1. Johnny Cullen

Note to self: must turn my avatar of myself into one of someone wearing a Republic of Ireland shirt with that someone being Roy Keane :D

BTW, posted it on N4G.

2. patlike

Cheers for doing that. Approved :)

3. Blerk

I am quite literally astonished that these don’t cost money.

4. Mike

Denmark or England, Denmark or England?

ENG-GER-LERND

5. Blerk

Oh. Having actually seen these now I think it’s obvious why they’re not charging money. Calling them ‘national football strips’ appears to be stretching the definition somewhat.

6. Whizzo

Ah a t-shirt in the right colour and a little flag doesn’t make a football strip in my book, not surprised they’re free at all now!

7. G1GAHURTZ

Soccer eh?

Whatever happened to football…?

8. Gekidami

Yeah seriously; Soccer?

9. Psychotext

It’s just one step from hooliganism over XBL now. Don’t say you weren’t warned!

10. Blerk

They’re obviously responding to the revelation that hoodies are the most popular clothing download on Home.

11. ecu

Club teams please. I want my United shirt. :)

12. Tiger Walts

The real-life strips are automatically copyrighted so there’d by licensing and thus probably a charge. Which is why these are just flags on t-shirts.

13. Michael O'Connor

“I am quite literally astonished that these don’t cost money.”

Then you have the memory of a fish. Microsoft stated MONTHS ago that they would be providing completely free Avatar clothing up until the “spring of 2009″, which is when the Avatar Store (and Xbox Live Primetime) will be launched.

So they’ll likely be unlocking clothing (all of which is actually already sitting on your 360 – it’s just timelocked) up until then.

News Reporter: Did you seriously say “soccer”? YOU SHAME US!

14. Retroid

Footblol

15. Roybott

I’m pretty sure these and all the ones released so far were ‘accidently’ available for a weekend during the final beta stages of the NXE.

Luckily during that time I put on a hoody and some shoes that were then removed :) but this does mean that now I cant change my avatar or I wont be able to get these back.

So unless I’m mistaken expect to see that Hoody and those trainers in the next few weeks.

16. Retroid

AFAIK MS have said their policy for avatar clothing is for it to be free.

17. Blerk

I was only surprised that they were free when I was under the impression that they actually looked like national football team shirts, rather than plain coloured tees with a flag on them.

I do have the memory of a fish, though.

18. Retroid

I vividly remember a particular pike I caught in Scotland.

edit: NEED COFFEE