Richard Garriott lost in space, quits NCsoft

Tuesday, 11th November 2008 19:57 GMT By Patrick Garratt

richardgarriott.jpg

Richard Garriott’s confirmed he’s to leave NCsoft in an open letter.

The developer, fresh back from his trip into space, said the experience had “sparked some new interests that I would like to devote my time and resources to. As such, I am leaving NCsoft to pursue those interests.”

The letter, in full, is after the break.

Mad MMO moon man: we salute you.

Fellow Soldiers of the AFS,

I am happy to finally be able to write the players and community of Tabula Rasa. We’ve been on quite a journey together. First in creating a game unlike any other on the MMO market, then growing a loyal community and finally launching the game and its players into space with Operation Immortality. It has been quite an unforgettable journey, one that I will treasure for the rest of my life.

I am very grateful to you loyal players for sticking around through what I think we can all honestly say was a rough launch. I thank the development team for pushing hard to get polish, updates and new content out every month since launch…a feat that I think is unusual in MMO development. They have a lot to be proud of.

Many of you probably wonder what my plans are, now that I have achieved the lifelong dream of going to space. Well, that unforgettable experience has sparked some new interests that I would like to devote my time and resources to. As such, I am leaving NCsoft to pursue those interests.

This news is difficult for me to deliver. I am honored to have worked with the team I’ve had and I’m grateful to the community who makes this game so unique and fun.

Thank you and farewell.

Richard “General British” Garriott

1. JPickford

So long and thanks for all the dosh.

2. patlike

He’s a legend. I hope he starts searching for aliens and wearing shoe boxes on his feet.

3. Hunam

The only legendary thing he has done is getting assassinated in his own game.

Too much huff this guy.

/never was a fan of ultima

4. morriss

Nutter! :)

5. fj

Space rays send you crazy. It’s true.

6. patlike

Loads of space people find God, innit. I’m sure most of the original moon lot “got” Jesus.

7. Gekidami

He bought himself a ticket to space, and now he wants to quit his job and work in that domain? Whats he going to do? Buy a job at NASA?

8. scratchy69

Did he fall or was he pushed?

9. No_PUDding

Hahah, space is his calling now..

What a weird bloke, where will he be off to?

10. Esha

Mr. Garriott’s always been a weird bloke.

I’m half wondering if he’s going to pull a Grant Morrison and claim he’d been kidnapped by aliens at some point in the future.

I can only hope, it’s always fun when someone tries that.

11. scratchy69

I met him once. He looked light he might of been kidnapped by aliens.

12. patlike

I saw him. At Develop. He had funny braids in his hair.

13. patlike

As he has in that photo.