Atari officially announced as publisher of Ghostbusters and Riddick, release windows revealed

Thursday, 30th October 2008 06:29 GMT By Nathan Grayson

ghostbustersa1.jpg

So it was rumored; so shall it be. After a relaxing summer in publishing limbo, Ghostbusters officially has a new shuttle onto shelves in the form of Atari.

The company gave the universal sign for “no comment” when asked about Ghostbusters’ release date, but Variety’s sources claim it’ll launch next summer, riding a wave of hype generated by the film’s 25th anniversary.

More of a surprise, however, is the announcement that Atari has also nabbed Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena — a sort of version 1.5 sequel to Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay – along with a new licensing deal for the be-goggled anti-hero.

Assault on Dark Athena will put us back in prison with Vin Diesel next spring, with further sequels to presumably be revealed at a later date.

More through the link.

By Nathan Grayson

1. Blerk

Wait, Riddick? I thought that was properly canned?

2. Robo_1

It seems to have been in limbo for a while! It was originally going to be a Riddick remake, with an extra chapter bolted on, but I think it’s evolved into a full blown sequel.

3. Esha

That’s rather spiffy, as the first Riddick game was really quite good and raised the bar of expected quality when it comes to the FPS genre.

And if I may saunter into a not entirely unrelated topic, I love how proton packs never look old. The concept and the name have both aged rather badly, but the pack itself seems to look as plausible in today’s Sci-Fi market as it was back then. Perhaps because its concept seems to be based off the unholy marriage of a power generator, an average car motor engine, and a circuit board. With wires and pipes added for good measure, I suppose. I just can’t think of the visual element of the proton pack as retro because of that, it’s aged very well indeed.

4. Blerk

Looks like the future’s not quite so rosy for Brutal Legend, though. The cads.

5. Esha

That’s actually the doing of Actard* though, as opposed to a lack of publishers wanting to pick up Brutal Legends. As if I didn’t already hate Activision and Blizzard enough already, they had to merge into a giant hive of evil and expand the essence of their evil to the Nth degree!

Okay, maybe it’s not that bad, but they do frequently do things that irritate me silly. And this is yet another one of those things. If ABsy ever decides to let go, then Brutal Legends might have something of a chance.

* I can’t help it. It’s so perfect.

6. SplatteredHouse

Great news about Assault on Dark Athena – a nice Christmas surprise would be up-to-date media and details being released, before then. :)